Are apple and mystery snails the same?

clark12

are apple snails and mystery snails the same? im looking into getting a few snails and a company nearby called elite inverts has mystery snails but the description says "sometimes refered to as apple snails". i have a decently planted tank now and want a few snails. mainly for cleaning but if i could get some personality out of them thats cool too. i was thinking 4 nerites and maybe 4 mysteries of some sort. being planted i dont want apples...correct?

Mongo75

Mystery snails are apple snails, but not all apple snails are mystery snails.

clark12

Mongo75 said:
Mystery snails are apple snails, but not all apple snails are mystery snails.
easy as that! i have it open and will read. thanks

Debbie1986

golf ball size vs size of an apple

erinw347

Yes, they are a little different. Apple snails can be more destructive because they eat plants and have a million babies. I’m pretty sure they’re actually illegal in the US.

clark12

erinw347 said:
Yes, they are a little different. Apple snails can be more destructive because they eat plants and have a million babies. I’m pretty sure they’re actually illegal in the US.
so chances are if it says im getting a mystery it shouldnt be the more destructive apple?

gregoranddexter1816

clark12 said:
so chances are if it says im getting a mystery it shouldnt be the more destructive apple?
Dont put a mystery snail with beta. I made the mistake and had to get a whole new tank. The antenna (there's 3) are too long and tempting. I suggest only 1 to be safe but as long as you catch the eggs and crush them you should be fine

erinw347

clark12 said:
Correct

erinw347

gregoranddexter1816 said:
Dont put a mystery snail with beta. I made the mistake and had to get a whole new tank. The antenna (there's 3) are too long and tempting. I suggest only 1 to be safe but as long as you catch the eggs and crush them you should be fine
It all depends on the betta. I’ve kept my male betta with guppies before and he didn’t care. Some bettas will tolerate snails and some won’t.

gregoranddexter1816

erinw347 said:
It all depends on the betta. I’ve kept my male betta with guppies before and he didn’t care. Some bettas will tolerate snails and some won’t.
Mine was alone and I didn't know how territorial he was. this is the parts I'm talking about.

Attachments

clark12

Mine was alone and I didn't know how territorial he was. this is the parts I'm talking about.
cool looking snail. was it destructive?

Debbie1986

The snail will remain active at night if it feels threatened.

I have them now in all my tanks but for my large catfish or Silver dollar as they'd eat them.

No damage to the snails yet by the Bettas. They immediately retreat into shell if fish gets close.

my 2 female snails know me so well they don't hide when they see me :) it's very cool

mystery snail & apple are the same, it's just a size thing pretty much. Florida outlawed them because they are such a pest & they cannot cross state lines. Apples are sold as food btw.

They have a hard bottom flap that closes their shell up, so really good predator protection.

I have a much small snail that was sold as a mystery snail, but it's a different species; no huge breathing tube , no 'trap door' and no going to top of tank and just dropping down for fun. but he cleans & does his job

chromedome52

That's not an antenna, that's the snorkel. The snail uses that to breathe air. It needs to get close enough to the surface every once in a while to use it.

Top Bottom