Are Angelfish and Neon Tetras Temp Compatible?

AquaticQueen

I've been doing a bit of research and I have received a lot of conflicting information on this specific topic. Some people say it's fine. Some say it's not ideal, but will work. Other say absolutely not. I haven't found a concrete answer for this and would really appreciate some input. Also, just to clear things up, I'm aware that there is a chance the angels may eat the neons. I'm willing take the risk.

Fishstery

Cardinal tetras are compatible, neons no because they prefer cooler water. 78-84F for angels and cardinals are in the same exact range, plus they are prettier IMO.

Your angels will not eat them if the tetras are a decent size. Angels have small mouths. Nipping them however will probably be different story, but it will be minimal and if the tank is an adequate size with places to hide this won't be an issue.

AquaticQueen

Cardinal tetras are compatible, neons no because they prefer cooler water. 78-84F for angels and cardinals are in the same exact range, plus they are prettier IMO.

Your angels will not eat them if the tetras are a decent size. Angels have small mouths. Nipping them however will probably be different story, but it will be minimal and if the tank is an adequate size with places to hide this won't be an issue.
Okay thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking but I needed to be sure.
Quick question, do you think guppies would be okay with angelfish?

fishkeepernewbie

On another forum I wanted to put angelfish in my tank. Someone said their tank was massacred because of the angels, and they had neon tetras and cardinal tetras.

Fishstery

I kept my angels (adult size but not fully grown) with tetras, and praecox rainbows and at one point threadfin rainbows with no issues. The praecox actually bullied my angels a little bit.

I would not suggest guppies. They are too nippy and would probably irritate your angelfish as their fins are easy targets.

AquaticQueen

I kept my angels (adult size but not fully grown) with tetras, and praecox rainbows and at one point threadfin rainbows with no issues. The praecox actually bullied my angels a little bit.

I would not suggest guppies. They are too nippy and would probably irritate your angelfish as their fins are easy targets.
Do you think I could try the guppies with the angels if I have a back-up tank? I have a 10g that I could easily move them to.

BigManAquatics

Do you think I could try the guppies with the angels if I have a back-up tank? I have a 10g that I could easily move them to.
I think anything is attemptable if you have a back up plan, which seems you do!

AquaticQueen

I think anything is attemptable if you have a back up plan, which seems you do!
Okay! I think I'll try it then. Wish me luck!

Fishstery

I agree! If you have a solid backup then go ahead and try it out! Keep a tight eye on everyone and their fins. Good luck :)

Fisch

Okay! I think I'll try it then. Wish me luck!
I believe you already have MTS, so this would be the best excuse :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PascalKrypt
Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views