Are amano shrimp likely to jump out of my tank?

Guppy2000

I just got an amano shrimp last night, he was put in a tank with a young yellow lab, and a highfin pleco. He stayed in one spot until I went to bed. Then in the morning he was gone, and no sign of him all day. Did he jump out? ( I know my cichlid dindnt eat him since the shrimp is longer than him)

Nikita

Jumping out of the tank is a possibility. I had RCS jump out of the tank in the past due to too high of temperature in the tank. Check all around the outside of the tank (a flashlight will help). Do you have any decor in your tank? I've had some shrimp hide in decor 24/7 (I too thought they were gone). Eventually they did come out. Though your Cichlid is smaller than the shrimp itself, it's still a possibility that he could've attacked and ate the shrimp (not saying for sure, though).

Guppy2000

Jumping out of the tank is a possibility. I had RCS jump out of the tank in the past due to too high of temperature in the tank. Check all around the outside of the tank (a flashlight will help). Do you have any decor in your tank? I've had some shrimp hide in decor 24/7 (I too thought they were gone). Eventually they did come out. Though your Cichlid is smaller than the shrimp itself, it's still a possibility that he could've attacked and ate the shrimp (not saying for sure, though).

Thanks for the info, it turned out he was hiding in my filter!

Drakkenfyre

Sounds like he was sucked up into the filter. You might want to get a pre-filter sponge. They are available at pet stores. Goes on over your intake tube. Will keep shrimp out, will prolong the life of your filter media, and will be an additional place for beneficial bacteria to grow. However, they will need cleaning occasionally by squeezing out in tank water.

If you have a regular power filter, with an impeller, next time he might not survive in the filter.

LyndaB

I've never had one sucked up but do prepare that when lab matures, it will most likely consume the amano.

Sora

I'm glad you found him! I had amano shrimp before and they would jump out all the time. I had lost about 4 or 5 over night would find them out of water.

GTA Fish Tank

aah! mystery solved glad to see it wasn't eaten up or jumped out

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
proletius
Replies
Views
StevieBubbles
  • Question
Replies
Views