Are Amano Shrimp Escape Artists?

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I put 3 amano shrimp in my tank like 3 weeks ago. They were doing great for a while, and unlike the cherry reds were very active and outgoing, never hiding away. Lately I noticed I wasn't seeing as much of them and never saw more than one at a time. Which I thought was odd because all 3 were usually pretty easy to find.

Well today I was going to the bathroom and noticed a weird dead bug on the floor. I picked it up and, ****, it's a shimp. In the bathroom, a good 25 feet away from the tank. HOW! How can a little shrimp make it 25 feet out of water?!?!?!

I have a lid but it has some gaps in it by the filter a determined creature could get out of. But the guy at the LFS told me they don't really escape and he doesn't even keep lids on his shrimp tanks. Maybe he meant the cherries, at least one of which I saw in my tank today (there are theoretically 3 but one was tiny and I had little hope of him surviving the danios). I can't find any of the 3 amanos at the moment. Well other than the 1 dried up dead one in the bathroom.

I liked those guys... How do you seal up the top of a tank completely? It's a glass lid with a rubber part that attaches to the back you can cut out to fit the filter. Not sure how to seal up the gaps around the filter other than something ghetto like packaging tape...

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have seen my Amano shrimp walking around in my kitchen and hallway. Of course my tanks are all open top but still, they're not afraid to venture out. Found more than 1 already desiccated from where nobody was around to return them to the tank...

OP
chadcf

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long can they live out of the water? I can't find any of the 3 in my tank. I think it's probably too late though, can't find them around the house either.

Mushishi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They usually won't make it far and they survive for only an hour or two max before they literally dry out. They don't usually climb out of tank compared to other species such as bamboo shrimp, but they still can. Make sure you have nothing they can climb up to the edge of the tank like drift wood, plants, decor and also just really search your tank. I bought 5 awhile back and thought they all died or escaped but 2 months later when they grew a bit I saw them come out during a couple feeding times. They are ninjas, look everywhere.

OP
chadcf

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I'm not hopeful... The amanos have always been really outgoing and not at all shy. Usually out and about and very easy to find unlike the cherries. So not finding them is pretty unusual. We'll see if any turn up. I really liked those guys. I think I can stuff some filter sponge in the gaps to prevent a repeat when I get some more. Not ideal but better than tape.

SixThreeOh

Well Known
Reaction score
I found one of mine about 30 feet from its tank 6 inches up in the air in a spider web. They can get around.

New Threads