Are all spawning fish happy fish? Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by outlaw, Mar 22, 2010.

1. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

I was just thinking about this since our Red Fin Juvies have now spawned for a total of 3 times and they are not even half the size of their adult size.

The first batches were 2 different females with the dominant male. This time is just one female that I can tell. It also looks like that female is getting picked on. She has a few marks on her like she hit some of the decor while being chased.

The dominant male is caught quite often doing his dance and chasing the females.

Now the questions:
    1. Are all/most happy fish going to spawn if there isn't direct competition for a mate?

2. If the fish are spawning, does this mean they are happy?

3. Prob part of 2. If the fish are happy and spawning, does this mean the tank conditions are as close to perfect as can be for them?

2. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

no no and kinda lol..... ive seen the mate get killed post spawn many times, so they do even have to like each other. And usually if the water is to bad the fish will not spawn.

3. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

define "HAPPY" LOL

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

dont assume water is good because of spawning ....look at most of your LFS with a ton of livebearers and such..as well as I had 1.0 ammonia and my angels were spawning (when we lost power) so never trust a spawn as tank being good :)

5. Morgan111

very true....... live bearers will spawn in a mud puddle i think lol

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

so will angels and african cichlids :;laughing(at least mine)

7. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

Yep you hear all the time well my fish are spawning so I must be doing everything right.
    That is what they do or try to do. If you have a male and female or any critter keep an eye on them or they will try and "do it"

8. Morgan111

cichlids dont even need water lol

9. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

They are comfortable....i don't think fish get happy as we know the term. Except my betta boys...they giggle and occasionally really belt out a good one..and roll on the floor if they think they have tricked me!!!!

10. OP
    OP
    outlaw

Thanks, I guess I didn't mean 'happy' as in our definition but as 'happy' as a fish can be in fishy terms. I would think a sickly, stressed, or fish that is in really bad conditions isn't going to be in the 'mood' to spawn. Or is it more of an instinct to reproduce. Our fish are Cichlids and actually have another juvie holding... if only these were the ones that people actually wanted, we'd be doing alright.

Thanks,
    Outlaw

11. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Genetic predisposition. I believe [May be wrong] the only other animal to have sex or spawn for fun are bottle nose dolphins. I believe they reach there proper age hormones take over tank conditions are correct. Wham there you go.

12. OP
    OP
    outlaw

Interesting. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice