Are all oak leaves safe?

bumblinBee

I'm a big believer in saving as much money as I can, so I'd like to collect oak leaves to use in my aquariums rather than spend money on them. It's autumn, really the perfect time to start collecting. I live in Canada, so I have no shortage of oak trees nearby that I could collect from. I just wanted to know whether any variety of oak is safe for use, or is it only specific kinds of oak?

DoubleDutch

To me all Oakleafs are okay.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I saw someone here say not to use the leaves from live oak trees, but I don't remember why, and I've used them in shrimp tanks without any obvious ill effects. I've also used red oak and post oak leaves.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

To me all Oakleafs are okay.
I saw someone here say not to use the leaves from live oak trees, but I don't remember why, and I've used them in shrimp tanks without any obvious ill effects. I've also used red oak and post oak leaves.
Thank you both, I appreciate your input! Nobody ever seems to specify what kind of oak leaves they use, so I'm never certain about these kinds of things

Upvote 0

Fisch

Poison Oak maybe the exception....

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Poison Oak maybe the exception....
Ahah, I definitely won't be seeking out poison oak

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Use the fallen / brown leafs btw.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Use the fallen / brown leafs btw.
Yes, ahah, that much I know. And I'll be selecting them from a walking trail, not near roadside or anywhere pesticides may have been used

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
  • Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
bumblinBee