Are All Dragon Scale Betta Fish Blind?

J. Peefer

Reaction score
I know a lot of them are prone to blindness because of their scales growing over their eyes, but I've. heard a wide range of answers for how often this actually happens. I've heard some say it's very rare while others have said they all get it at some point. does anyone know how often this actually happens?

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
J. Peefer said:
I know a lot of them are prone to blindness because of their scales growing over their eyes, but I've. heard a wide range of answers for how often this actually happens. I've heard some say it's very rare while others have said they all get it at some point. does anyone know how often this actually happens?
I think it depends. Some have it happen very early in life (I saw one only a few months old like that before), while others only have slow progression of scaling that may never take their sight in the fish’s lifespan. I think the best way to determine the chances of it for an individual betta is to look at how heavy scaling is around the rI'm of the eye in relation to the fish’s age. If the fish is a few years old and has rI'm scaling, he/she may never go blind or only experience mild sight hinderance. A young fish that already has scaling approaching the pupil will most likely go blind.

It all depends on the fish’s genetic background.

OP
J

J. Peefer

Reaction score
The_fishy said:
I think it depends. Some have it happen very early in life (I saw one only a few months old like that before), while others only have slow progression of scaling that may never take their sight in the fish’s lifespan. I think the best way to determine the chances of it for an individual betta is to look at how heavy scaling is around the rI'm of the eye in relation to the fish’s age. If the fish is a few years old and has rI'm scaling, he/she may never go blind or only experience mild sight hinderance. A young fish that already has scaling approaching the pupil will most likely go blind.

It all depends on the fish’s genetic background.
ah okay thank you so much. that makes sense.

BettaDollar

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
J. Peefer said:
How is your Betta? I don't see that you're concerned because he behaves like his sight is impaired. Is it? My dragonscale is over 2 yrs & I've often wondered if his sight is impaired because he'll lunge at food & miss some times.
He doesn't do it a lot & will keep trying till he gets it.
I wonder if it's got anything to do with the position of the eyes & what their sight range might be. My other fish never miss but of course they're a different species too.
Thanks for posting the question. I'd never heard of diamond eye.

Manan

Reaction score
I have a dragonscale and I highly doubt he will ever go blind. The scales are nowhere near his face. I think usually you can tell when buying one if he is at risk... I've seen people post here pics of their new bettas with their eyes almost covered already! I think most of the time people are just excited about how beautiful they are but don't know about diamond eyes until it has happened. I personally wouldn't buy a betta however beautiful he may be if the scales are all around his eyes at such a young age.

New Threads