Are all Cichlids agressive?

Yodi

Reaction score
I would like to get some silver dollar fish and tiger fish(Not exactly sure what they are called). I checked on other fish to add and It seems that the few cichlids I looked Into were listed as aggressive. Are all Cichlids agressive? If not are there pretty ones that are non-aggressive. OH, While I'm asking about fish. I have a thirty gallon tank which for right now I only have goldfish In It until I get the rest of the supplies needed for a tropical aquarium. I'm looking for fish that are around 2" or smaller, does anyone have any suggestions on what type of fish (not expensive) that you find to be pretty and hardy? I'm a begginer. Where do you buy your fish from, Is It safe to buy fish off the Internet? Thanks so much!!

Yodi

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are some that are less aggressive then others, but several that like specific water conditions and might not be a good first fish. Though the Tiger Barbs (which is what I think you are referring to?) can be aggressive in their own right, though usually to each other and only if you don't have at least 5 in the tank. Though some people have had problem with them being fin nippers so fish with long fins are generally not a good idea to keep in the tank with them. It also depends on the size of the tank you are thinking about for these guys because most of the silver dollars get to be at least 6" if not larger and like a bigger tank. Take a look through here and see if any fish catch your fancy. As for fish that are 2" take a look at some of the tetras in that link. Also Corydoras catfish can be found in the 2" range and they would be nice bottom dwellers to the tetras. As to where to get fish, I've just been going to local pet stores. Though the internet will work if you don't have any stores near you, I'm just not sure of buying fish sight unseen, but that's just me.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think angels are the least aggressive cichlids and they can still be pretty aggressive with smaller fish.

youngest-fish-nerd

Valued Member
Reaction score
dwarf cichlids are less aggressive, but more expensive,
tetras are the way to go for beginning,small hardy and pretty,
at your LFS youn can find many for a buck,
at petco and big companies,
they are usaully 2-3$, and they arent as well as LFS fish,

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
I think angels are the least aggressive cichlids and they can still be pretty aggressive with smaller fish.
Timmy-man is right, the dwarf/ram/angel veil/butterfly cichlids are the least aggressive of all cichlids but still have that small bit of aggression when it comes to territory.
Tom

Yodi

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the Info!

Yodi

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd say Rams are the least aggresive. I like Golden and Blue Rams the best lol.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
as a beginner i'd steer away from cichlids. i think they are beautiful but best left to the experts. i wouldnt have any just yet until i'm more experienced. tetras can be fin nippers, so be sure to have at least 5-6. they also need to be accimated really slowly. there are loads of tetras to choose from and i've had few problems with mine. the head and tail light tetras have a few spats between themselves, but dont bother the other fish, and the cardinals have started attacking the neon. for this reason only, i dont think i'd get tetras again. i dont like the stress of breaking up fighting fish and the damage they can do to each other!! i like harmony in my tanks! the penguin tetras havent shown any aggression at all and are much more timid prefering to hide behind plants and make me think they've disappeared!!
danios are about 2 inches at the most and very hardy and peaceful if in a group of at least 5. there are loads of varieties to choose from. the livebearers (platties, mollys, guppies, swordtails etc) are under 2 inches, are hardy and cheap and colourful and available everywhere and in a range of colours and patterns and are easy to breed if you want to go down that route and practice rearing fry. its easy to differentiate males/females, so if thats not for you, just go for all males. they wont fight. if you go for all girls, chances are they're already preg and will give you fry for the first few months, however, its highly likely they'll get eaten unless you give them somewhere safe to hide/grow up in. dwarf neon rainbow fish are hardy and about 2 inches. very colourful and pretty (photo of one in my link in my sig). i'd steer away from tiger barbs....i've heard they can be aggressive, and for that reason i personally wouldnt have any. cherry barbs however seem peaceful and they're under 2 inches too. most gouramis get very big, dwarf gouramis stay about 2 inches, but dont put with a betta. not many fish go well with a betta as they find the bettas fins irrisistable to munch on!
dont know if i've been any help, but we all choose dif fish for dif reasons. if we all had the same fish, life would be very dull! its all depends on how much research you do and what you're prepared to do if the fish do get aggressive...have you a spare tank to put a bad fish in?! (a naughty corner!). also i've never bought fish on the internet as the shipping is always so expensive (£40) seems the standard here, so would have to buy an awful lot of fish to make it worth while. so i go to the lfs and spend a few £ on fish with no shipping! also you can see the tank mates and whether they're happy, talk to the owner and see how much the do/dont care for fish. internet fish often have guaruntees though where you take a photo of fish if dead on arrival and they'll refund, but they wont refund the shipping. so i'd still be £40 down even if evey fish was refunded!! again, up to you. prob more choice on internet, but its not for me. thats not to say it wont suit you. i think chickadee uses internet for fish buying.....she may be able to recommend some sites to use if you're in the US which is where she is too.
let us know what you decide! any help just yell! sorry to have rambled on a bit.....i do that alot!
have fun and enjoy your fish!
tan
by the way....if you have silver dollars, dont get real plants. they gobble them up!! - just so you know!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom