Are algae eaters best to keep algae away? Question

1. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Hi all, I am starting to notice some greenish brown in my planted tank. Are algae eaters the best way to keep algae away? If so, how many would i need in a 30 gal? Thanks in advance!

2. Sharkdude Well Known Member Member

If by algea eaters you mean the ones labeled that at say Petsmart, then none. They get huge and angry and have been known to eat the slime coat off of other fish.

If you mean a pleco then I cam only think of a couple that will fit your tank and eat algea effectivly. One is the bristlenose the other is a Leopard Frog(l134). Only get one pleco in that size of tank.

I would also suggest snails and elbow grease. I scrub my tanks manually once a week.

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I scrub my tanks, whenever I add plecos they never seem to do a good enough job that it makes a difference. They just wait for me to add algea wafers.

You could add a school of otos. They are machines but keep in mind you'll have to make sure they have enough to eat. Algea wafers, zuccini, etc needs to be added.

EDIT: forgot to mention I would do atleast 6 as they prefer to be in groups.

4. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Otocinclus (Oto Cats) are amazing little algae eaters. However, they can be very sensitive and need a well established tank. You referred to your planted tank... a 30 gallon, right? Established since September of 2011?

With careful acclimation and otos that have been well cared for (I would not buy otos from a chain/big box store) they might be a great solution. I have 3 otos in my 29 gallon and they do a great job keeping things clean.

5. Sharkdude Well Known Member Member

Or if you have access to true siamese algea eaters they are really great and they look pretty cool.:) ....don't know why I hadn't thought of that before....

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Where is this algae appearing?

Has your tank gone through the Diatom phase?

A pic would be very helpful.

How long has this tank been running?

Do you dose fertlizers? Any Co2?

Your info says you have T5HO 62w. Is this a dual fixture?

7. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I love otos but my tank is to small I think for them to be happy

8. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Hi Alyeska Girl, My 30 gal tank that has algae has been running since sep 2011. I just started having algae to appear just recently on my gravel, here and there,brown looking. It has been a little on my plants and i wiped it off with my hand. it is some on my power head. Its not bad yet, thats why i want to go ahead and keep it under control. Yes my light is a dual fixture. I fertilize with a liquid fert. It is aqueon. I dont do co2. I only have 3 male guppies, 4 mollies and 1 cory cat in there. It is a cycled tank. My ph is 8.0 and my temp is 79. I just need something that will eat algae off of gravel and plants etc. Its not on my walls yet, like i said i just started noticing it.

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It sounds like you have Diatoms, which are very common in newly cycled tanks (although is a tank cycled in September still newly cycled?). They are harmless and will go away on thier own evetually.

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I love when i have the oppertunity to post my signature signs XD
    [​IMG]
    Tada! :)

You can also add some nerite snails.

11. iLikeFish0918 Member Member

i have read and heard from other members on this site that Diatoms can appear within the first year.

if not the effects of a newly cycled tank, then perhaps a lighting issue? the bulb may be losing strength and needs to be changed.

12. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I had diatoms, but since I put LF BN albino pleco in my tank, its been spotless. A regular BN would probably work, though :)

13. dankylosaur Initiate Member

I'm going to second the nerite snails. I've never had them myself, but I've seen lots of websites that recommend them for getting rid of algae. Those and malaysian trumpet snails, I believe. Both have their downsides though. Overfeeding can lead to way more MTS than you want, and I've read (but haven't confirmed) that nerite snails tend to lay eggs everywhere.
    I also read that snails don't usually eat diatoms, so if it turns out that you do have them, adding snails may not help.

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

nerites eat diatoms, and their eggs dont hatch in fresh water.

15. dankylosaur Initiate Member

Ah, my bad about the diatoms. That's good to know. And yeah, I read that the eggs don't hatch in fresh water, but I've seen a lot of complaints about having to remove them all the time because they're ugly :p

16. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

for algae removal the siamese algae eaters are great, much better than the chinese algae eaters most box stores sell.

I have Otos in my tank and they can be VERY frail.
    I also have Ammano (aka Japanese) shrimp in my planted tank and they do great.
    I also have nerite snails and they are great at dealing with that algae on the glass.
    BN plecos are ok at it but not the best.

Theres a few options for ya.

17. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Youd would need to do some prior resaerch and learn to ID the diffrence between the 3 diffrent Sae/Cae as the stores normaly get them mixed up. You dont want to mix it up, trust me. Also, im not sure if a school of SAE would fit in a 30 would they? Or am i thinking of the flying fox?

18. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

My otos are doing very well and are very hardy. (I even have oto babies that are thriving and I'm not doing anything special). I also have nerites in my other tanks and have never noticed any unsightly eggs.

19. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You might be thinking of siamese flying foxes which look almost like the algae eating kind sans a pair of barbells on the mouth area. A very reputable store can tell the difference and usually will stock them in diff areas to keep from mixing them.

I have never done a school of SAE's but I do know that the flying fox variety like to school, but again they do nothing for algae.

20. ploopy Member Member

I have siamese algae eaters and nerite snails.The nerites do lay alot of eggs on the glass but the fish usually eat them.The siamese do a magnificent job on all types of algae including black beard algae.