Are albino bn plecos weaker than other types?

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not sure if I'm just having a serious string of bad luck, but every last albino bristlenose I've put in my tank has died. I've gotten 3 of them, all from different locations, and they just don't make it. However I do have a natural colored BN and they're alive and healthy. Made me wonder if the albinos were just weaker? Pretty much everything else has done fine in this tank except albino BNs.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's pretty odd, the only difference between regular and albino bn plecos is the pigmentation. Personally, my albino bn has been completely healthy even though I got him from PetSmart. Maybe those places just had bad batches?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is the tank and how many of the regular colored ones do you have? In a smaller tank the older ones will run the smaller ones off of food and starve them. If they weren't eating before you got them their gut bacteria can die off and starve them in a different manner. A large bn can also kill smaller bns, specially in the case of an older male with juvenile males (kill off competition).
A lot can go wrong with baby fish, even juvenile 1"+ babies.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sadly sometimes these tiny creatures just don't make it. I don't think being albino has any affect on whether they make it or not. When I first got that handsome fellow over there in my avatar I also got another one exactly the same tiny size. Elbert grew and thrived, Sadly the other one didn't. I watched it eat but it just never grew and was soon gone.

Like @Mcasella said. If you have an adult male in the tank it could be the reason your babies don't make it. I have a feeling the pleco's can tell genders long before we can.

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mcasella said:
How big is the tank and how many of the regular colored ones do you have? In a smaller tank the older ones will run the smaller ones off of food and starve them. If they weren't eating before you got them their gut bacteria can die off and starve them in a different manner. A large bn can also kill smaller bns, specially in the case of an older male with juvenile males (kill off competition).
A lot can go wrong with baby fish, even juvenile 1"+ babies.
Its a 55 gallon and there's just 1 regular colored in the tank, who's still pretty small. One of the albinos was even bigger than my regular in the tank, so guessing its just been a matter of poor chance, since theres no difference with different colors :(

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom