Are Airstones/airpumps Decent Filters?

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by Vortexed, Apr 22, 2017.

1. VortexedValued MemberMember

I got a 1 gallon tank kit and it came with an airstone/airpump. I plan to put a betta in it at somepoint, but will the airstone/airpump be decent filteration?

1 GALLON IS ENOUGH FOR A BETTA

There is no minimum requirment for a betta. How happy your betta will be will depend on the betta you get and its personality.

2. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

An airstone doesn't filter the water. You could attach the airpump to a sponge filter though.

Ummm.... no 1 gallon is not enough for a betta. In my opinion bettas need 5 gallons minimum but most people will say 2.5 gallons minimum. You can do whatever you like though but don't expect your fish to be happy. You could keep a common goldfish in a 10 gallon if you want to but it wouldn't be happy.
    I have a betta in a 5 gallon and hope to upgrade it to a 10 in the future, he is very active despite his fins and explores the whole tank. I honestly believe it would be cruel to keep him in a 2 gallon.

3. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with above!

Sure, a 1 gallon is enough for a betta but that would be like saying a prison cell, with a toilet and someone to feed the person is enough for a human. A prison cell is enough, since it gives the person all its need:shelter, waste disposal, and food.

4. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

More like a cupboard or shower or something, so cramped

5. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

The air pump creates the conditions necessary to draw water into some kind of container (either the filter reservoir or your own DIY filter reservoir). That container should then have your filter media. That media, along with any bacteria living in the media or reservoir, is what is cleaning your water. Some of the small commercial filters for 1-3 gallon tanks are actually using this kind of idea with an air pump.

So the answer to your question is, yes, the air pump filter system can be enough. You can even buy stronger air pumps to get more water flowing, and use a slightly larger container with more media, if you have a larger tank. I don't know if there is a limit, though, but probably at some point, with larger tanks, people probably use these air-pump driven filters as an additional filter to their tanks, and maybe not as the primary filter.

6. dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

Nothing could be further from the truth! Five gallon absolute minimum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice