Are African Dwarf Frogs, Nerite Snails, And Mystery Snails Compatible?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Akeath, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Akeath

Akeath Valued Member Member

Was thinking of trying 3 African Dwarf Frogs, 1 Tiger Nerite Snail, and 1 Mystery Snail in a 10 gallon aquarium. I haven't heard much about African Dwarf Frogs with snails, though. Would the frogs nip at the antennae or bodies of the snails, or try to swallow them? I've heard that frogs will sometimes bite the fins of long-finned fish, mistakenly thinking that the movement=food and being too blind to tell the difference without a nip, but I don't know if they could have the same problem with snails or not. I'm particularly concerned about the Mystery Snails, as they have much more of their body out at any given time, and their antennae are more prominent as compared to Nerite Snails. Also, does one of them out compete the other for food? They are all pretty slow eaters, so I'm not sure how that competition would go. If anyone has kept these together I would love to hear how it turned out.

2. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I've had snails with an ADF- no problems, and mine were rams horn snails- much smaller than a Nerite or Mystery.

Edit: Hmm, I can't promise an ADF won't go after a mystery snail's antennae or siphon, but my ADF was used to eating pellets, and just didn't seem to associate the snails with food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice