Archer Fish gen info Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by enyong112, Dec 7, 2009.

1. enyong112

enyong112New MemberMember

Archer Fish gen info (pics added)

Hello,

I just bought 3 archer fishes... What to feed them?
    I put a twig in the middle of my tank, and put some spiders, however the fishes are not spitting... Are they night feeders? or do they feed anytime of the day? I even dropped some superworms/mealworms, and still no action...
    Do they need to get accumulated to the tank before they eat?
    Help me please... these are very hard to get by in my locality...

Thanks,

Enyong

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Hi Enyong.

Congrats on getting some archers. They're very hard for me to find in my local area as well. Feeding them some insects will do but they also eat live feeder fish or bloodworms. They might not eat now as they need sometime to get use to their new environment.

How big is your tank? According to your aquarium info, it's not updated. Kindly please update it so it'll be easier for other members as well and too many questions not need be asked.

Please keep us updated. :;hf

3. OP
    OP
    enyong112

My tank is actually a semi-pond style, I used an old Oil barrel, used to house my swordtails... cut approximately 2/3 horizontally... I put in some plants, and used an overhead filter for filtering... Not fancy, but it's what I have...

4. peacemaker92

Sounds interesting :) But how big is it? Archers need a huge tank or pond to be happy and to be able to have room to shoot water. The shooting water technique will take a while, so you'll need to be patient.

5. OP
    OP
    enyong112

Around 3ft by 1.5 ft by 1.5ft, filled around 2/3 of the depth... So more or less around 50 gallons... is this enough?

6. peacemaker92

Sadly, 50 gallons isn't enough for 3 Archers. They could probably thrive if you have 2 in there but with a bit of aggression issues, but for 3, IMO I'd advice a minimum of 100-125 gallons for them to be freely happy. Is the barrel covered? Because they are very good jumpers and will jump for anything flying.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  7. OP
    OP
    enyong112

I see, even if I don't have other fishes in the tank?
    so will just, put the other one on another barrel...
    I cover the barrel with a net...

8. peacemaker92

9. OP
    OP
    enyong112

Thanks peacemaker... Actually I already read 2 of the links earlier, before I posted the thread...
    For the Nitrogen Cycle, I dont know how to update my aquarium profile... But I am already aware about when I started to join this forum a couple of months ago...

10. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

Hi enyong and welcome to fishlore :)
    Does your barrel have a light and heater?

11. DigglyWell Known MemberMember

Dont archers need brackish water?

12. OP
    OP
    enyong112

It is outside our house, gets hit by the sun around during lunch...
    We don't have heater here in my locality, I think we don't need it here, we are in the tropics...
    I already put some salt in the barrel...x
    I think they are still getting accumulated, I threw in some black ants this morning, apparently one is not shy, and ate with me standing there... the others only ate when I stepped back a couple of feet...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  13. iloveengl

iloveenglWell Known MemberMember

Yes, archer fish are indeed best kept in brackish waters - about 1 rounded tablespoon or marine salt per 5 gallons of water. :)

I wish I had a good set up for these fish. They're SO cool! :D If you get pictures or video, please post them when you get a chance. I'd love to see them!

14. peacemaker92

Glad their eating now. To update your aquarium info, click the arrow next to the My Settings bar above the page, there'll be a scroll down then click Edit Aquarium info. Then just fill in your tank details there. Hope that helps.

P.S Sorry forgot to mention their brackish. Great info from iloveeng about how much salt to add. Best of luck! :;hf

15. DigglyWell Known MemberMember

I am glad to hear they are eating :) keep us updated!!

16. OP
    OP
    enyong112

Freakin Awesome!!!! saw for the first time how these fishes spit!!! I put some spiders on the twig I put in the middle of the barrel, and stepped back a couple of feet, the fishes just started firing jets of water... lol

BTW, unfortunately we dont have testers here, how often do I need to put in salt?

17. peacemaker92

18. DigglyWell Known MemberMember

Salt does not evaporate so you only add it when doing changes. Add 1 rounded tablespoon of marine salt per every 5 gallons you change when changing the water and that should see them set :).

19. OP
    OP
    enyong112

New Tank

I have a new tank for my archers... here's what it looks like... 157.jpg

20. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

Nice to here from you :)
    Beautiful tank and archers :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice