Aqurium light duration with live plants 10 Gallon Tank

1. craigsankyo Initiate Member

Hi All,

From what I can figure, my tank is about 10 gallons. It's currently fish less, running a bio filter and heater and busy cycling.

I'm taking a bash at live plants, and have a couple planted with just regular topsoil (no leaching from the topsoil - at least not yet, but it has been almost a week)

I'm switching the light on in the mornings and off in the evenings, with approx 12 hours of on time. Unfortunantly, I spend my days at work and the tank looks so cool at night with the lights on. Would it be feasible for me to rather switch the lights on overnight... what effect would that have on the plants growth?

It does sit in a fairly well lit room, no direct sunlight hits the tank at all though.

Thanks
    Craig

2. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

10-12 hours a day is the recommendation made by many on lights for live plants. If you run it more then this you might experience a problem with algae. Each tank is different though. What type of plants do you have and what type of light do you have. (type of bulbs, wattage etc.) You could also try a moon light set up that comes on at night and replicates natural moon light.
    The time of day that you have the lights on doesn't matter. You could turn it on for a while in the morning while you are home and then turn it back on again in the afternoon or evening when you are home again.

3. eiginh Well Known Member Member

8-10 hours are recommended 10-12 would give some algae grow offs. How many wpgs do you have, depending on how many wpg you may need co2 in your tank. That's good you're not getting any tannins from topsoil, what I read some people had bad luck and couldn't get the tannins out for awhile when they were using top soil. If you can purchase timers, that would be great! I set mine to go on at about 10 and then turn off around 1:30-3 then turn on at 3-10pm so when I get home I can still view the tank with the lights on.

4. craigsankyo Initiate Member

thanks all :D

I'll leave the lights off tonight methinks, but will def have them on from tommorrow night (and maybe a little bit during the day, just to 'ease' the plants into the new routine. Will keep the total to <10 hours over any 24hour period tho.

thanks again