Aqueons Bacteria Balls, how would they work?

cdwag29

So, earlier today I was looking at my local petco out of curiosity, and I stumbled upon "Aqueons Bacteria Balls" The marketing was exactly as followed; about 8 capsules of water claiming to have live BB in it, advertised as "essential for aquariums to keep nitrites and nitrates low." My initial thought was this was a load of crud. Doesn't BB need a food source? How would it be able to survive in simply water? On the back of the box it said something about the "unique sphere shape allowing BB to reside until conditions are ideal to be utilized". Selling for almost 10 US dollars. Is this at all similar to the other products that boost the growth of BB and I'm just misinterpreting it?

Thoughts?

kansas

Sounds bogus to me.

Fishyfishyfishman

Completely ridiculous. Don’t waste your money on that.

StarGirl

Its just a different form of bottle bacteria and probably wouldnt do a whole lot. Some may swear by them, who knows. Marketing is great isnt it? You looked at their product, that was their goal. Throw a few of these bacteria balls in and boom instant cycle. :confused: Doesn't work that way. ;)

Dunk2

So, earlier today I was looking at my local petco out of curiosity, and I stumbled upon "Aqueons Bacteria Balls" The marketing was exactly as followed; about 8 capsules of water claiming to have live BB in it, advertised as "essential for aquariums to keep nitrites and nitrates low." My initial thought was this was a load of crud. Doesn't BB need a food source? How would it be able to survive in simply water? On the back of the box it said something about the "unique sphere shape allowing BB to reside until conditions are ideal to be utilized". Selling for almost 10 US dollars. Is this at all similar to the other products that boost the growth of BB and I'm just misinterpreting it?

Thoughts?
I don’t see why these would be viewed any different than all the other bottled bacteria products on the market?

They’re in ball form rather than a bottle.

cdwag29

I don’t see why these would be viewed any different than all the other bottled bacteria products on the market?

They’re in ball form rather than a bottle.
That's why I added the "am I just misinterpreting this" part lol. I never really understood bottled bacteria to begin with, how does the BB even stay alive?

Fishyfishyfishman

I get that it is basically bacteria in a ball but the fact that it says it will keep nitrites and nitrates low Threw me off. I doubt bacteria in a bottle works really well, but like some people have said, it seems to work.

cdwag29

I honestly have never considered using bacteria boosters or bottled bacteria..I was always under the assumption it was just water in a bottle or something silly like that. Guess I was mistaken? I think the thing with these Bacteria Balls what that threw me off was you could clearly see the product was clear, so in my head I just connected that with it being water. Like I said, I've never used Bottled BB so I'm not sure why I assumed it wouldn't be also clear..a bit dumb of me I suppose.

StarGirl

I honestly have never considered using bacteria boosters or bottled bacteria..I was always under the assumption it was just water in a bottle or something silly like that. Guess I was mistaken? I think the thing with these Bacteria Balls what that threw me off was you could clearly see the product was clear, so in my head I just connected that with it being water. Like I said, I've never used Bottled BB so I'm not sure why I assumed it wouldn't be also clear..a bit dumb of me I suppose.
Yes it is usually clear. If you haven't used it to this point I wouldn't worry about it. I have not used it either. I have cycled media which is so much more useful.

Fishyfishyfishman

maybe if they had a ton of cycled tanks with tons of filters on each… oh wait that wouldn’t work. “We wouldn’t make money. Let’s just sell some smelly water.”

Fisch

If it really says '...keep Nitrates low', this is where the magic bullet lost me.
Instant cycling and no maintenance, this sounds too good to be true....so most likely not true.

StarGirl

If it really says '...keep Nitrates low', this is where the magic bullet lost me.
Instant cycling and no maintenance, this sounds too good to be true....so most likely not true.
Yep the only things that will keep nitrates low are plants, water changes and Nitrazorb. Im not even sure about the last one. lol......So if it says it does anything for Nitrates I wouldn't believe it thats for sure.

cdwag29

My memory is pretty awful, so I do hope I didn't misinform on the nitrate thing. I believe I am remembering correctly because I remember thinking to myself "well, that's kinda dumb." I can snag another look at it the next time I stop by (probably tomorrow) to try to confirm that. Apologies to everyone if I unintentionally quoted the product wrongly :oops:

Ellebrius

Are those made of ceramic or some other kind of porous material in which beneficial bacterias grow and reside? LFS have them in their aquarium where BB will start growing in them and then they try to sell them to you to help you cycle you tank. I know my LFS has them and sells them for $5. They tried to sell me one when I started my first aquarium, but it would be pretty dumb to buy something that has BB but maybe also some noxious bacterias in them. :eek:

StarGirl

My memory is pretty awful, so I do hope I didn't misinform on the nitrate thing. I believe I am remembering correctly because I remember thinking to myself "well, that's kinda dumb." I can snag another look at it the next time I stop by (probably tomorrow) to try to confirm that. Apologies to everyone if I unintentionally quoted the product wrongly :oops:
Its all good.... even Prime claims to detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. No so sure about the nitrate part.

cdwag29

Are those made of ceramic or some other kind of porous material in which beneficial bacterias grow and reside? LFS have them in their aquarium where BB will start growing in them and then they try to sell them to you to help you cycle you tank. I know my LFS has them and sells them for $5. They tried to sell me one when I started my first aquarium, but it would be pretty dumb to buy something that has BB but maybe also some noxious bacterias in them. :eek:
It said the capsules were made out of gel? I dunno if that is porous or not. They mainly talked about how the sphere shape was what allowed it to reside.

Ellebrius

Sorry my mistake, we are definitely not talking about the same product then.

Fishyfishyfishman

Absolutely it says to use every week

Fisch

Seems kind of gimmicky to me.
Gets lots of good reviews, mainly for clarity and smell...

Fishyfishyfishman

Sounds like carbon almost in that case

Thoughts?
nothing could be better for your tank then just cycling it correctly in the first place and doing regular water changes:p they're just trying to sell it to people who don't want to put in the work.

Cherryshrimp420

My approach to aquarium products has always been: the better they claim to be, the worse they are.

Add 1 every week? Cannot be overdosed?

This is just a scam....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MartinXIX
  • Question
Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies
Views