Aqueon Versa-Top Hinged Aquarium Cover Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Dean, Mar 18, 2010.

1. D

Dean Valued Member Member

Does anyone know if it is better to use 2 24" cover's or one 48" cover for my 55 gallon tank. I do have a plastic center support in the tank. One website said to use 2 24" covers if you have the center support but I'm wondering which one would be more practical to use. On one hand using 1 would be easier to clean and a little cheaper but 2 might be better for feeding and what not to only need to lift half the cover up instead of a 4 foot long piece of glass. Any thoughts? Thanks for your two cents.:;2cents

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I use 48" glass in my 55g's if they don't have the "hump" in the center brace. Otherwise, I use two 24"s because they won't work without the "hump".

I hope this helps. Can you post a pic of the center brace? That would help us help you figure out what you need.

3. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Ditto to that. If you have the center brace, your pretty much forced to use 2x24".

4. OP
    OP
    D

I think I do have the "hump". Does it look like a little button that is very slightly raised. I linked a picture of it from my cell phone. Hope it worked and is clear enough for you to see.

Bolivianbaby, do you like having the cover in one 48" better than the two 24" ones?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on the brand. If All Glass or Aqueon, the center brace should be recessed a little from the top frame so that a 48" top can sit flush.

Perfecto/Top Fin 55's have given me all kinds of grief... they don't have any recessed area on the center brace, and the center brace is wider than with All Glass or Aqueon. The Aqueon 2x 24" hoods won't work with the tank, and the 48" hood doesn't sit flush with the frame. The tanks seem to be designed to work with only plastic hoods.

6. OP
    OP
    D

I've heard that the tank brand does matter with covers but I don't know what brand it is. I got it for $10 cause the dude gave my a good deal since it's for my classroom tank. I had to clean it though, it was a salt water tank, not fun but worth it. Is there a way to tell the brand with no labals on it?

7. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

For some reason, it didn't let me view it. No big deal.

I prefer the 48" long because sometimes it's necessary to feed on two sides of the tank to make sure everyone gets fed. I'm lazy, I'd rather lift one lid than two.;D

8. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

the bottom of the tank should have a label as to the brand (bottom front or bottom bottom lol) and the brand does matter

9. harpua2002

Sometimes the sticker is underneath the top frame, visible through the glass. My 75g Perfecto is like this. Most of the time the stickers seem to be on the bottom though, around or under the bottom frame.

10. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks, I'll check that out.

11. OP
    OP
    D

no label anywhere on the tank. The "hump doesn't stick out that much so I think I'll try one 4' long cover.

12. harpua2002

Sorry if you've already done this, but take a look at the top frame of your tank before you order a top. Is the center brace flush with the frame or is there part of it that is recessed where a hood would sit?

13. OP
    OP
    D

there is a little "hump" or "Button" but it is recessed in the support so it only sticks out a little bit. And, I was going to buy it at petco in town so I can return it if it doesn't fit right.

edit- misread that, I think you mean where the ends of the support connect to the frame, not the "hump". I'll look at that when 'I get home,. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  14. OP
    OP
    D

ended up getting a Perfecto cover that is 2 24" because i could find the Aqueon Versa-Top Hinged Aquarium Cover which I hear was better. I would rather have it in once piece but might have to settle. Any thoughts on the Perfecto brand?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice