Aqueon Submersible Heater red light flickering?

drsmokejello

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve had the Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heater 50W in my 5 gallon tank for 3 days. I followed the instructions on the packaging when I first got it but all of today the light has been flickering, turning on steadily, flickering, turning off, and repeat which I was led to believe shouldn’t happen and instead it should go from off to on no flickering in between. The temperature in the tank goes from 77 F - 80 F. There isn’t a fish in the tank as of right now but before I get a fish should I switch heaters? I got this heater off of Amazon which I think might be where I went wrong but the store closest to me sells Aqueon Pro heaters would they be better/safer?

Jdk246

Reaction score
The lights flickering must mean there must be a problem somwhere inside, never heard of a heater flickering when its in good condition. Even though the safest way to go is to buy a new one, i would test it out for a week and see if the temp is stable and the heater is doing work with the temp. The lights flickering could just mean that the light indicator is broken or something but not the heater's ability to heat and maintain temp. Would be a waste of money to buy a new one IMO, though safest.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
The pilot lights in heaters are neon, and if you've ever watched a neon sign, they flicker. I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying they have a tendency to. If you like the heater otherwise, I would exchange it for another and see if it has the same problem.

It could also be a problem with the contacts in the heating element not making good contact, and that's not so good, and might explain the fluctuations in temperature. You didn't say, but I'm guessing that it's a preset heater, and if it is, I would recommend returning this one and getting an adjustable heater instead.

OP
D

drsmokejello

Reaction score
Jdk246 said:
The lights flickering must mean there must be a problem somwhere inside, never heard of a heater flickering when its in good condition. Even though the safest way to go is to buy a new one, i would test it out for a week and see if the temp is stable and the heater is doing work with the temp. The lights flickering could just mean that the light indicator is broken or something but not the heater's ability to heat and maintain temp. Would be a waste of money to buy a new one IMO, though safest.
I turned the heater down and the flickering from what I’ve seen has stopped and the tank is staying around 76 but I’ll keep an eye on it and see if the temperature starts fluctuating a lot, thank you!

OP
D

drsmokejello

Reaction score
Mongo75 said:
The pilot lights in heaters are neon, and if you've ever watched a neon sign, they flicker. I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying they have a tendency to. If you like the heater otherwise, I would exchange it for another and see if it has the same problem.

It could also be a problem with the contacts in the heating element not making good contact, and that's not so good, and might explain the fluctuations in temperature. You didn't say, but I'm guessing that it's a preset heater, and if it is, I would recommend returning this one and getting an adjustable heater instead.
It’s an adjustable Aqueon Submersible Heater. I think I’m going to stick with the brand but order a replacement and see if the replacement doesn’t have any issues with a flickering light, thank you!

Jdk246

Reaction score
Oh yeah, is the bottom of the heater touching anything? The only thing the heater should be touching is the suction cups holding it in place and nothing else.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The heater light should either be on or off, not flickering. If you’ve had it less than a month, I’d return it or get the seller to send a replacement.

New Threads