Aqueon strip light

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alright, once more question!

I'm starting a planted shrimp tank and trying to find a good light for it, although I'm on a budget. This aqueon light is within my price range and I've already bought it but I've been reading bad reviews on it since I did.

My question is; will this light be sufficient for low light- medium light plants for a few months until I can afford an awesome finnex led fixture? I just need some time to save up enough for the good light and it won't hurt to have the aqueon as a backup.

Jim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All right....did you buy it thru Amazon If so can you return it. Amazon will take back practically anything. If you can then purchase this BELOW link(did not check Amazon) and you'll be good to go. If you can't return go with what you have....better than nothing!!

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry I don't see a link! I actually bought it at Petco and I still have the receipt so I can return it if necessary. Do you have another suggestion?

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Switching the bulb desigh for a planted aquarium. I was reading the reviews and that's what a lot of people complain about the bulb.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
orangeclumsy1 said:
I'm sorry? I don't understand.
To switch out the flourescent tube that comes with it. And buy a new tube at your petstore ex. Zoomed flora sun, or aqueon floramax that are design to grow plants.

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh okay I see! So if I get a plant-specific bulb then this fixture should suffice for low to medium light plants?

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
orangeclumsy1 said:
Oh okay I see! So if I get a plant-specific bulb then this fixture should suffice for low to medium light plants?
Yep I don't see why not. When looking for bulb go to petco. All my local pet so have the zoomed bulbs on clearance like $4 for a bulb. I'm not sure if is nationwide or not. I ask the employees why they are clearance and they said because they going to stop carrying zoomed and carry aqueon instead. I will check a your local petco and see if they have them in clearance.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I missed out on the dimensions of the tank. A smaller or at least shorter tank such as a 10-gal or a 20 long will have enough light. The deeper the tank, the less light will make of down to the plants. Also, substrate and ferts can become issues. You can look up how demanding medium light plants are and see what works for you. If you don't find the info you need in the plant section here, you can try plantedtank.net

Jim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is the same as an Aqueon dual bulb fixture.

Depending if you have a 20 high or 20 long -- you have to buy either a 24 inch light or a 30"inch light.

Jim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
orangeclumsy1 said:
It is a 20 long.
OK, then you need a 30 inch like I linked above. It has two bulbs. One is 6700 and the other is "colormax" allegedly for plants. I have quite a few of them. I usually change the colormax out for another 6700 but that is not necessary. The Coralite brand is identical to some dual flourescent that come with Aqueon packages.

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would just suggest that the best light for you just now is the one that you can currently afford.
There are a surprising number of plants that will thrive in rather low light, but as you tank is only 12" deep, I really don't think lighting will be a problem for you.------rick

Jim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ricmcc said:
I would just suggest that the best light for you just now is the one that you can currently afford.
There are a surprising number of plants that will thrive in rather low light, but as you tank is only 12" deep, I really don't think lighting will be a problem for you.------rick
Totally agree with the above; sorry it slipped my mine that a 20 long is 12 inches deep. Go with what you have.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At only 12" deep, you should be able to grow medium light plants with a single T8. Again, with the caveat of the plant's needs. Have a good time planting

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom