Aqueon Quietflow 10 Modification?

taylormarie213

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just read the thread about DIY modification about using sponges and media on Tetra Whisper and Aquaclear HOB filters but mine is a little different. I have the Aqueon QuietFlow 10 LED Pro and it is close to the Tetra Whisper but has 2 blue plastic inserts which make putting a intake sponge and/or media, a little bit of a tight fit.
It has a carbon filter cartridge which I know has benefits but when replaced, gets rid of the good bacteria which is not good, so I want to add something in the filter that will keep the good bacteria.
My filter also has a “heavy” flow I guess you could say. It creates a crater in my Seachem Black Sand I have in my tank and would love to reduce it. I bought a large lava rock that is bowl like to see if that helps and I was thinking of adding a Fluval prefilter sponge on the intake to reduce the flow too.
My tank is a 10gal if that makes a difference and I plan to add live plants.
I posted pics of my filter, the carbon cartridges, and my tank problem as well.
Any advice and tips will be great. I would also really like to get a detailed instruction on how and where to add media/sponge to the inside of the filter if you advise that. Thank you!

Attachments

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Assuming you want to keep the carbon part I'd add a piece of sponge right above the intake then top it off with ceramic bio media. To baffle the flow I'd do the plastic bottle method- I made a little diagram thing based on your picture to help show.
upload_2019-9-17_16-49-48.png

taylormarie213

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Assuming you want to keep the carbon part I'd add a piece of sponge right above the intake then top it off with ceramic bio media. To baffle the flow I'd do the plastic bottle method- I made a little diagram thing based on your picture to help show.
View attachment 612286
Thank you so much for the photo!! That really helps! You’re a good drawer by the way! I will do what you recommend!

taylormarie213

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
View attachment 612286
Some people don’t recommend the carbon filter pad thingy. What could I use instead or should I just remove the carbon out of it? And why don’t they recommend it?

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some people don’t recommend the carbon filter pad thingy. What could I use instead or should I just remove the carbon out of it? And why don’t they recommend it?
Mostly because you do have to remove it every month or else the carbon will just bleed everything back into the water. Also many people find that having carbon at all is unnecessary

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From the pic, it looks like the water level is lower than the discharge chute, causing the water to plunge into the tank.

Try raising the water level, so water doesnt plunge into tank.

This will probably eliminate the sand being blown around.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom