Aqueon QuietFlow 10 Internal Shrimp Filter (review)

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Product/Service: Aqueon QuietFlow 10 Intenal Shrimp Filter.

Description: This filter is designed to attach to your tank using one of 2 methods: 4 suction cups (2 near the top, 2 near the bottom) that allow it to stick to the side of your tank, or with hooks that allow it to hang on the edge of your tank (2 hooks on top, 2 suction cups on bottom for additional support). The top and bottom both have 2 holes on opposite sides of the filter. The bottom 2 holes fit the suction cups, and the top 2 holes can fit the hooks, or the suction cups. The suction cups are easily removed, however, the hooks can easily snap if removed. The hooks are large enough to allow the filter to hang on to both a rimmed tank, or a rimless tank. This filter goes inside your tank and has a GPH of 60. The intake is on the bottom front inside the filter. Covering the opening is a grate that secures a course-pored sponge pad. This design is meant to prevent small fish and shrimplets from getting inside the filter. The outake is large and U-shaped, with a lip to support the outflow. The outake is protected by a large plastic plate with grates that prevents fish from swimming inside the filter. However, the grates are large enough for shrimplets to fit through and adult shrimp can climb up and over the grate if you keep too low.

Inside, the filter has a single slot. The slot fits 3 layers: a plastic grate, a bag made of filter floss, and a porous sponge media. The plastic grate is placed as the final layer, closest to the outake. The shape of the filter floss bag is supported by a plastic piece inside. There is carbon inside the bag, but the bag can not be opened. The sponge media has side clips that allow it to hang on to the slot, rather than being in it.

I used this filter in a 5.5 gallon tank that housed cherry shrimp. It worked alongside a sponge filter. The filter worked well and it was easy to remove debris from the sponge grate by simply removing the sponge and squeezing in water. However, the filter was not entirely shrimp proof. Despite my outake being above the waterline, I frequently found shrimplets inside the filter. This was due to the sponge protecting the intake being too porous.

I then moved the filter into a 36 gallon community tank to run alongside another filter. Thanks to the plastic grated plate that protects the outake, I am able to keep the outake partially submerged. This allows it to fit discretely below my lid. I have seen fish sit on the lip of the filter. They are unable to get inside the filter and are lightly pushed by the water exiting the filter.

The body of the filter is in 2 layers. The inner layer supports the media and the outer layer supports the entire filter and contains the intake, which sits below the inner layer. To clean debris covering the intake, one must slide out the inner layer by pushing on a rectangular opening between the 2 layers.

As for noise, I have owned 2 of these: one was very loud. It sounded like a fan with something stuck inside of it. I tried fixing the motor multiple times, but could not find anything wrong or stuck in the filter, nor was it improperly placed. I exchanged the loud one for another of the same filter. This one was completely quiet, so much so that I don’t even know it’s on. It doesn’t even give off a light hum or anything.
Pros: Quiet, intake prevents fry from being caught in the filter, works well.

Cons: Shrimplets can get inside the filter, media bag does not open, intake slightly difficult to clean.

New Threads