Aqueon Pro Plug Sparking

FiscCyning

I’ve had a 150 watt Aqueon Pro heater in my 29 gallon tank for about 2 months now with no problems, but tonight there was a concerning occurrence with it. My dog was sniffing the floor near the surge protector power strip that has the heater for my 29 gallon plugged into it. I suddenly saw a bright spark flash from where the heater plug was and heard a pop, and when I looked there was a black scorch mark on the white plug next to the heater plug, a smell of electrical burning, and the heater plug had jumped out about a centimeter from the socket and the heater turned off. Nothing else on the power strip was affected (aquarium lights didn’t even flicker). After waiting a minute, I hesitantly plugged the heater back in and the heater turned back on without a problem.

Is this a fault in the heater? The only other thing I can think of is that maybe my dog’s nose was wet and touched the plug or socket, but this still seems like a drastic response from that. Has anyone had this experience or have any suggestions on if this heater is safe or I should return it?

david1978

I have had many plugs cone out of their sockets when what ever was. We have cats and little dogs. And have never had one arc like that.
Now that I think about it I have had a drill unplug in the rain and not have that happen .

AquaticJ

This sounds like what happens when water gets into the outlet, but it would take more than a dogs wet nose imo.

Giul

It’s more likely that water from the tank got into the outlet somehow, the dog was probably smelling the tank water around that area

FiscCyning

I suppose I can’t guarantee that the outlet has never gotten water in it, but it wouldn’t have been in the few hours leading up to the incident. The tank has a lid that hadn’t been opened in that time and the power strip is right next to where I’d been sitting for a few hours. If water did get in the outlet at some point before that, should I replace the power strip just to be safe? I don’t want to risk starting an electrical fire, especially while I’m not at home to deal with it!

I guess the bright side is that it sounds more likely that it’s a problem with the power strip than the heater if I’m understanding correctly.

Cichlidude

Replace the heater and power strip.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Caroleanne
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Caroleanne
  • ForceTen
  • Heater
Replies
Views