29 Gallon Tank Aqueon Pro heater vs. the Cobalt Neo-therm Pro?

loverofloaches

Hi there,

I see that this has been discussed before, but manufacturing practices change. I am hoping for some more recent input.

If price were no object, which of the heaters in the subject would you buy and why or why not?

if you own one of these heaters, what year did you buy it?

dcutl002

I have had a Cobalt Neo Therm on a 10 gallon Betta tank for years. no issues.

Fisch

Same as above, have Cobalt Neotherm 50, 75, and 100W. Love the flat design, and that it is relatively easy to adjust the temperature. It provides even heat even during fluctuations in temperature. Heaters are over two years old, no issues.

loverofloaches

Same as above, have Cobalt Neotherm 50, 75, and 100W. Love the flat design, and that it is relatively easy to adjust the temperature. It provides even heat even during fluctuations in temperature. Heaters are over two years old, no issues.
Kind of weird question. I plan on getting two heaters and using an Inkbird controller with them on my 29 gallon. The Cobalt Neo-therm specs say a 50w works for a 12 gallon tank and the 100 w heater is needed for a 29. Should I get 2 of the 50w heaters anyway even though they are only rated for 24 gallons?

I live in New England so the house an get cold sometimes. I'd rather not get two 75's. 75 w is rated for a 20 gallon tank.

Fisch

What is the temperature you are trying to achieve?
I personally have one 100W heater in the 20 gl at a consistent 72° F.

loverofloaches

What is the temperature you are trying to achieve?
I personally have one 100W heater in the 20 gl at a consistent 72° F.
probably 77 degrees.

Fisch

The 20gl stayed at 78° with this heater (for the Betta at the time). Then I myself would go with two 100W. It is also preparation for the next size bigger tank that will be in your future sooner or later :)

loverofloaches

The 20gl stayed at 78° with this heater (for the Betta at the time). Then I myself would go with two 100W. It is also preparation for the next size bigger tank that will be in your future sooner or later :)
I'm thinking I will get 2 that are 75w each for a total of 150w. Should be more than enough! The next size bigger tank line cracks me up. You are funny!

MelkorTheVile

I think the general rule of thumb is 5w per gallon. So I would recommend 2 50watts. Multiple smaller heaters is safer than one huge heater. If one large heater gets stuck on, it will more quickly cook your livestock. If one smaller one gets stuck, gives you more time to notice(plus if one instead just stops working your tank won't get too cold either). So multiple smaller ones plus inkbird is a safer route.

Dsluder

I have two Neotherm 150s in 29g tanks for the past 3-4 years. Love the heaters, hate the non-functioning suction cups. My heaters spend a good deal of time sitting on the substrate but still maintain 78-79 degrees. Wish the $60 heater wasn't compromised by the 5 cent suction cups. BTW, I keep an Aqueon heater around for backup. Splitting up the wattage is a good idea, too, since failed heaters seem to be stuck "on" more than other problems.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AndyP
  • Crash4hope
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Crash4hope
  • Question
  • BlackTiger
  • Heater