Aqueon Pro Heater (Red Knob) - Page 2

BlackTiger

Does anyone have any experience with the new Aqueon Pro Heater (red knob, blue is the older model). I heard the newer ones are being manufacturer by a different company so the quality went downhill. Any thoughts? I had the older model which has been running great for 3 years and it failed on me this morning. I was putting it at the bottom of the sump so maybe thats why its stop working who knows. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-174546_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201130-174546_Chrome.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 22

jmaldo

So, been researching, decided to try the Ehiem in the 33L, based on my LFS recommendation, in tank since yesterday.
https://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Jager-Aquarium-Thermostat-Heater/dp/B003SNU1I2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1IKAK988T87DO&dchild=1&keywords=eheim+heater&qid=1607261566&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=Eheim,pets,257&sr=1-2
Also, just ordered the Hygger to place in my 55g as redundancy, just in case.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BNXFWBN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And this one for the 10g,
Hygger 50W 100W Submersible Digital Mini Aquarium Heater
Will monitor and review.
Well all 3 are in and working. Only downside so far.
The Eheim is glass and the light reflection is terrible. See pic

African 33L.jpg

And the Hygger 200w control box with suction cup has dislodged from the glass 3x so far? Going to e-mail them.
Will see have long they last.

Upvote 0

RayClem

Well all 3 are in and working. Only downside so far.
The Eheim is glass and the light reflection is terrible. See pic

African 33L.jpg

And the Hygger 200w control box with suction cup has dislodged from the glass 3x so far? Going to e-mail them.
Will see have long they last.

Don't worry about the reflection from the heater. A biofilm will start to grow on the heater, reducing the reflection. If you put some plant in the tank, they will hide the heater and filter tubes.

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Thanks, it's just so bright.
Been trying and struggling with "Plants" in my "New" African tanks. Just looking for a heater more reliable then the Aqueons which I used for years.
Here is a pic of the Hygger in the 55.

African 55 121220.jpg

Upvote 0

RayClem

Been trying and struggling with "Plants" in my "New" African tanks. Just looking for a heater more reliable then the Aqueons which I used for years.

I failed to realize this was intended to be an African cichlid tan. I was looking at the tubes and heater, so I missed the fish in the tank, sorry. Yeah, they love to eat vegetation and they love to dig in substrate, so many types of plants won't work. There are some plants with thicker leaves that might work:
Anubias and Java Ferns have thick leaves. They can be glued or tied to your rockwork.
Valisneria grows quickly and has tough leaves, so it might survive an onslaught from your cichlids.
Although it does not grow as fast, Amazon Sword plants might be another option. If you root it close to a rock, they cichlids might be less likely to dig it up. Once the root system is established, it should be OK.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

African 55 121220.jpg
My 50w Hyggar suction cups didn't work for long either.

Upvote 0

jake37

I would say that hygger suction cups are not their strong point. It has been an esp annoying issue with the sensor which i have to secure in the tank to ensure it doesn't slip out or swing next to the heater.

Upvote 0

Dechi

If you put your heater vertical instead of horizontal I think the reflection would be a lot less. I have no reflection whatsoever from mine.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Can you take a heater out of the holder and just "rest" it on the sand? The Jager holder is so massive.

Upvote 0

jmaldo

The 200w in the tank is fine so far. It's the control box on the outside of the tank that keeps falling off. Gonna try another suction cup

Upvote 0

Dunk2

The 200w in the tank is fine so far. It's the control box on the outside of the tank that keeps falling off. Gonna try another suction cup

We can put people on the moon, but can’t make a suction cup that sticks!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Can you take a heater out of the holder and just "rest" it on the sand? The Jager holder is so massive.
Does anyone know?

Upvote 0

jake37

I hang my control boxes on a nail inside the stand.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Concern for it bouncing around with the water flow?
No it wouldn't. I just didn't know if the glass can rest on the sand or would it hurt it? With no holder.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

No it wouldn't. I just didn't know if the glass can rest on the sand or would it hurt it? With no holder.

I have the 300W in my 75 gallon.

This was my bad when I bought it, but I didn’t realize the thing was like 8 ft. (slight exaggeration) long.

Anyway, it’s been resting on the substrate without issue since I put it in the tank.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I have the 300W in my 75 gallon.

This was my bad when I bought it, but I didn’t realize the thing was like 8 ft. (slight exaggeration) long.

Anyway, it’s been resting on the substrate without issue since I put it in the tank.
Yeah the 50w in my 5g is huge too, and the holder is bigger yet. I didn't know when heated if the glass would get wrecked sitting on the bottom.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Yeah the 50w in my 5g is huge too, and the holder is bigger yet. I didn't know when heated if the glass would get wrecked sitting on the bottom.

I think you’ll be fine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • TommyD11730
  • Heater
Replies