Aqueon Pro 300?

ForceTen

My 100 watt heater quit working so I bought the Aqueon Pro 300. Now I know 300 watts is way more than I need. But the 300 watt was on sale and less money that the 75 watt. It was $25 on sale at chewy My tank is 20 gallon and it looks like 200 was the correct size, but I now have 300 watt.

The heater was to tall for vertical mounting, so I placed it horizontal along the bottom in the very back. The instructions said to wait 30 minutes before plugging it in. I waited much longer.
The instructions also said when you first plug it in, the red light will flash twice to let you know the heater is working properly.
I saw no double red flash at all. Removed it and called Chewy and they are sending me a new one.
This morning just for my own sanity, I raised the temp control knob to 80 degrees. Plugged it in for less than a second and the light came on. No two (2) flash.
I dropped it in the tank and am now watching to see if its actually okay.

My question: Do Aqueon heaters flash twice when first powered up? And do you think this heater is okay?

Edit: Oh. I have been buying knowing I am going to upgrade to 29 or 39 gallon tank. So my new heater will be good for the next tank.
I did the same with my AC HOB.

kallililly1973

I have differnt size Aqueon pros in most of my tanks and honestly never noticed a double flash when first plugging them in. ( never read the directions either ) But I did know to let them sit for 1/2 hour before plugging them in. If you have a tall enough bucket or container you could let it soak in there then plug it in and drop a thermometer in to see if its holding the correct temp. Good Luck!

coralbandit

I have some new ones and never noted the flashes ?? I must be a bad instruction reader ..
I did note the new say they will shut off it the top is lower then the bottom now ??
So horizontal would be max it can go if not upright with attention to which end is top ..
I am still on the fence about the new but have been a loyal Aqueon Pro user for long time ...
Thanks for the link though I ordered 'a few more '..
I got 60 tanks ...

nikm128

My 100 watt heater quit working so I bought the Aqueon Pro 300. Now I know 300 watts is way more than I need. But the 300 watt was on sale and less money that the 75 watt. It was $25 on sale at chewy My tank is 20 gallon and it looks like 200 was the correct size, but I now have 300 watt.

The heater was to tall for vertical mounting, so I placed it horizontal along the bottom in the very back. The instructions said to wait 30 minutes before plugging it in. I waited much longer.
The instructions also said when you first plug it in, the red light will flash twice to let you know the heater is working properly.
I saw no double red flash at all. Removed it and called Chewy and they are sending me a new one.
This morning just for my own sanity, I raised the temp control knob to 80 degrees. Plugged it in for less than a second and the light came on. No two (2) flash.
I dropped it in the tank and am now watching to see if its actually okay.

My question: Do Aqueon heaters flash twice when first powered up? And do you think this heater is okay?

Edit: Oh. I have been buying knowing I am going to upgrade to 29 or 39 gallon tank. So my new heater will be good for the next tank.
I did the same with my AC HOB.
Mine have never flashed, and I pretty much use Aqueon exclusively so I feel like I would have noticed at some point

Cichlidude

Looks like no flash according to the instructions:

Allow for heater to be submerged in water for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to powering the appliance.

After the heater has been mounted and submerged for the 30
minutes, plug the appliance into an electrical outlet.
Once plugged in, the heater will automatically start working and the Temperature
Adjustment Knob will glow red. (A). When the heater reaches set
temperature, the Temperature Adjustment Knob will stop glowing red.

ForceTen

I have differnt size Aqueon pros in most of my tanks and honestly never noticed a double flash when first plugging them in. ( never read the directions either ) But I did know to let them sit for 1/2 hour before plugging them in. If you have a tall enough bucket or container you could let it soak in there then plug it in and drop a thermometer in to see if its holding the correct temp. Good Luck!

Thanks.

I have some new ones and never noted the flashes ?? I must be a bad instruction reader ..
I did note the new say they will shut off it the top is lower then the bottom now ??
So horizontal would be max it can go if not upright with attention to which end is top ..
I am still on the fence about the new but have been a loyal Aqueon Pro user for long time ...
Thanks for the link though I ordered 'a few more '..
I got 60 tanks ...

I have no idea where I read about the 2 flashes? I just double checked the heater written instructions and also read the online PDF. No mention of flashes in either publication.
So I was wrong and the heater is working. Dial temps do not match actual water temps. I have to set it higher than what I actually need. I guess that's a given with this type heater?
Yes, I did read about the tilt. I had it horizontal with the dial end up just a bit. The directions do show it perfectly level.
That's my only draw back as its to tall for vertical mount. "I think". Will try it again today.

Looks like no flash according to the instructions:
Allow for heater to be submerged in water for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to powering the appliance.

Thank you. That is what I have done.

ForceTen

I hate having the heater horizontal. It’s visible. Cord too!
It’s black like my substrate but still very noticeable.
It will work vertically if I were to bury an inch or better the very end of the heater.
I don’t think it’s recommended, but what you guys think. Have the tip under the gravel?

I should have paid full price and got the 200 watt. I’m certain it’s shorter?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Amcdonald58
  • Heater
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
kc27
  • FiscCyning
  • Heater
Replies