Aqueon or Top fin starter kit

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

Would I be able to use either of these for lips and soft corals. If could I use the rest of the kit and get a better light. What would be some good cheap lights?

e_watson09

What size tank are you talking? You're probably better off piecing your own kit together versus one of theirs as they really aren't designed for salt water.

marmaaa

Nicrew lights on amazon are really cheap and great!

Jesterrace

marmaaa said:
Nicrew lights on amazon are really cheap and great!

Not well suited for coral growth though IMHO. Good for Freshwater or Fish Only With Live Rock for Saltwater. @ the OP, I agree with e_watson09. Your average tank kit ends up being a waste for saltwater applications. I say this as someone who started with an Aqueon Tank Kit. By the time I was done getting my tank where I wanted it I had literally re-bought everything except the tank itself and the lid (filter, lighting, etc. were all replaced). You are better off either piecing things together from a dollar per gallon sale tank OR going with a saltwater based all in one tank kit (ie Fluval, Waterbox, IM Nuvo Fusion, Corallife Biocube).

You could go with this guy and not have to upgrade the lighting or basically anything for the simple softie and LPS type setup you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-10531...=Fluval+Evo+13.5+gallon&qid=1595778085&sr=8-1

marmaaa

Jesterrace said:
Not well suited for coral growth though IMHO. Good for Freshwater or Fish Only With Live Rock for Saltwater. @ the OP, I agree with e_watson09. Your average tank kit ends up being a waste for saltwater applications. I say this as someone who started with an Aqueon Tank Kit. By the time I was done getting my tank where I wanted it I had literally re-bought everything except the tank itself and the lid (filter, lighting, etc. were all replaced). You are better off either piecing things together from a dollar per gallon sale tank OR going with a saltwater based all in one tank kit (ie Fluval, Waterbox, IM Nuvo Fusion, Corallife Biocube).

You could go with this guy and not have to upgrade the lighting or basically anything for the simple softie and LPS type setup you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-10531...=Fluval+Evo+13.5+gallon&qid=1595778085&sr=8-1
Ah my bad, I didn't pay attention so when I went to type the comment I recc a freshwater one, sorry:)

Jesterrace

marmaaa said:
Ah my bad, I didn't pay attention so when I went to type the comment I recc a freshwater one, sorry:)
No problem. Figured that was probably the case.

NaturalGothic

Aqueon is okay. Better than most people say they are, however, they can be very hit or miss. Top fin (IMO) is garbage. Don’t waste you money on them. If you’re having doubts, save your $$$ until you can purchase items that are good quality and you genuinely like.

Utar

Yes kits is just a way of giving people the feeling they are getting a great bargain when in reality, they ain't. Cause you end up not using half of it and going for something better.

Jesterrace

Utar said:
Yes kits is just a way of giving people the feeling they are getting a great bargain when in reality, they ain't. Cause you end up not using half of it and going for something better.
Depends on the tank kit. If he goes with one of the better Marine type setups then it won't be bad for a starter, but if he just grabs your average tank kit from a Chain Store then yes I agree it's a lot of wasted time and money. I made the mistake of buying an Aqueon 36 Gallon Bowfront and within a year the only things left from the kit that were in use on my tank were the tank itself and the lid. Everything else had been upgraded or replaced. If I could do it over again I would've gotten something different or better yet bought a used reef ready setup.

Top Bottom