Aqueon MiniBow 5g filter

• Thread starter Korad2579
  • Start date

Korad2579

So I’m confused about the filter in my Aqueon MiniBow and I need a bit of help. I’ve had my betta for all of 4 days, I work at a petstore and someone surrendered her. I didn’t have a tank setup already so I’m having to cycle the tank with her in it. Unfortunately she has some type of fungal infection so I’m treating the tank with seachem sulfaplex. I can’t use carbon with the meds, so I have no cartridge in my filter, and no other media. The filter is weird and only uses those carbon cartridges I think and now I’m worried that the tank won’t be able to cycle properly with no filter and no biomedia? I read something that said the filter comes with ‘preloaded biological, mechanical and chemical media’ but I don’t know where it is? And it says that only the carbon cartridges are what will require maintenance, so I’m confused. I know this post sounds stupid but I’m honestly lost and I’m concerned that with no cartridge in her tank will get nasty fast, and I’m also not getting how the tank will be able to cycle with just a carbon cartridge? I have a moss ball in there but no other live plants

AquEric

Sometimes I cut a scruby pad to fit as a makeshift filter

Korad2579

Do you think it would fit, the way that the MiniBow system is set up??

AquEric

Place your old filter on top and cut it to the shape I've done it a bunch of times

Korad2579

Thank you!

AquEric

stormyskies

Perhaps you could buy filter pad media and cut it to fit the shape of your filter? You should be able to find them online pretty easily if you search for poly-fiber filter pads such as this.

Korad2579 said:
I read something that said the filter comes with ‘preloaded biological, mechanical and chemical media’ but I don’t know where it is?
Assuming that this is what you're asking, biological, mechanical, and chemical media are the three types of filtration in an aquarium. As for what's inside Aqueon MiniBow's cartridges, it's just dual-sided floss and activated carbon, and by "preloaded," I assume they mean that everything needed is preassembled.

The mechanical filtration is the filter floss that traps particles and debris. The chemical filtration is your activated carbon, which removes bad smells and water discoloration, but unfortunately, also indiscriminately removes medications to treat your sick fish. And lastly, biological filtration is the beneficial bacteria that grows inside of your filter, so while it isn't exactly acquired on purchase of the filter cartridge, your media gives them a nice surface to colonize.

I hope that this answers your question, and that your betta has a speedy recovery! :)

Mii

Look for "aquarium filter sponge pad" you will get these black blocks if sponge which you can then cut to fit your filter i recommend to get the "coarse" as apposed to the "fine" sponge as it won't clog as fast when it does get clogged with debris you can swish it around in the old tank water when you do a water change just don't wash it with tap water because the chlorine will kill all your bacteria. You can also get bottled bacteria the API or Fluval ones are probably the best the Tetra brand one will get killed by most water conditioners except the Tetra brand water conditioner.

Korad2579

Thank you guys so much! I ordered some sponge filter media that I’m gonna cut to the shape of the carbon filter. I also ordered some bio rings that I’m going to stack with the sponge. Do you guys think this will work??

Korad2579

Thank you guys so much! I ordered some sponge filter media that I’m gonna cut to the shape of the carbon filter. I also ordered some
Mii said:
Look for "aquarium filter sponge pad" you will get these black blocks if sponge which you can then cut to fit your filter i recommend to get the "coarse" as apposed to the "fine" sponge as it won't clog as fast when it does get clogged with debris you can swish it around in the old tank water when you do a water change just don't wash it with tap water because the chlorine will kill all your bacteria. You can also get bottled bacteria the API or Fluval ones are probably the best the Tetra brand one will get killed by most water conditioners except the Tetra brand water conditioner.
I’ve been using quick start, but I’m not sure how effective it is

Korad2579

stormyskies said:
Perhaps you could buy filter pad media and cut it to fit the shape of your filter? You should be able to find them online pretty easily if you search for poly-fiber filter pads such as this.

Assuming that this is what you're asking, biological, mechanical, and chemical media are the three types of filtration in an aquarium. As for what's inside Aqueon MiniBow's cartridges, it's just dual-sided floss and activated carbon, and by "preloaded," I assume they mean that everything needed is preassembled.

The mechanical filtration is the filter floss that traps particles and debris. The chemical filtration is your activated carbon, which removes bad smells and water discoloration, but unfortunately, also indiscriminately removes medications to treat your sick fish. And lastly, biological filtration is the beneficial bacteria that grows inside of your filter, so while it isn't exactly acquired on purchase of the filter cartridge, your media gives them a nice surface to colonize.

I hope that this answers your question, and that your betta has a speedy recovery! :)
thank you, that definitely helped clear my confusion up!

stormyskies

No problem! I'd say that the sponge alone is enough, but the bio rings certainly won't hurt since they'll provide more surface area for beneficial bacteria. I personally use them in my canister filter, and they've worked great so far.

Top Bottom