Aqueon mini-heater for brine shrimp container?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Frank the Fish guy, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Frank the Fish guy

Frank the Fish guyNew MemberMember

I like to hatch baby brine shrimp to feed my killifish. Been using a little desk lamp to heat the water in a little Tupperware container with 1 quart of water. The light does not regulate the heat and it keeps it too cold generally so the hatch rate is lower than it could be.

The ideal for brine shrimp is 80-82 degs. according to the package,

I have an extra little Aqueon mini heater that came with a mini tank. I was thinking of using the mini heater for the brine shrimp?

Here is the heater:  

What do you guys think?

Is this a good idea?

Anybody use this heater in very small containers (1 quart Tupperware) of water like this?

The little heater has no controls and is supposed to self regulate at 80 degs. But, it came with a 5 gallon tank?

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I read a review on Petsmart where someone's Aqueon mini heater malfunctioned and almost fried their betta. Make of this what you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Frank the Fish guy

i wonder if that was a quality control problem that has been fixed?

I guess I will try it. It's just brine shrimp eggs.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure how old that review was, but I read it less than 2 months ago.

5. OP
    OP
    Frank the Fish guy

So far so good, after about 12 hours. Temp is at 80 degrees.

6. OP
    OP
    Frank the Fish guy

Major crash. 3 days in, I kept the water topped up but the whole container stinks like death now. No shrimp today. All dead. Had some shrimp yesterday though.

This must be unstable. I figure the shrimp got around to the heater and died from the heat. The air bubbler circulated them and they all must gave come in contact with the heater and died.

Water temp reads 80 degs bu the whole thing died.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea like I told you in the review, the shrimp must have become fried, literally by the heater.

8. OP
    OP
    Frank the Fish guy

You were right!

I am thinking that I can use a small 5 gallon aquarium to raise the shrimp. I just need to get the water up to salinity and pH specs. That means I will use more salt and buffers, but that's no big deal.

That way I can still raise a small number for shrimp (1 tsp of eggs) but just use lots more water than the recommended 1 quart.

Hopefully then I can use a regular tank heater like this little Aqueon.

So I am wondering if the heater itself is defective or it is just because I used such a small container of water, less then the 2 gallons they said was the minimum?

I really want to get a constant supply of brine shrimp for my Killies.

I did see that the heater really did help boost the hatch rate, until it crashed!

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Uhh I'm guessing it was the heater itself. Can you test it in a bigger tank or have you already returned it?

10. OP
    OP
    Frank the Fish guy

No. That's a good idea. I'll stick it in a 5 gallon tank a see what it does.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice