5 Gallon Tank Aqueon mini bow vs. Glofish tank vs. bookshelf tank

winglessicarus

It looks like it's going to be at least a few weeks until my betta can go back in his 10 gallon (if not longer) so I'm going to need to do something I've been meaning to do for awhile.

Get one of those 5 gallon betta tanks.

The three tanks I had in mind were the Aqueon minI bow 5 gallon (I have a 1 gallon which I love, too bad the thing is useless for anything but ADFs, though I have used it as a hospital tank)

Glofish 5 gallon () I'd use the blue LED it comes with as a moon light, if anything.

Or that 6 gallon bookshelf tank Petco sells.

PROS:

The 6 gallon gives that extra gallon of water, plus I think the betta would be more comfortable with the longer thinner space. I'm not at all familiar with the filtration though, so anyone with experience with this tank would be super helpful.

The Aqueon seems to me like the ideal little tank, based on the one I have... but sometimes upgrading for size changes how well everything works together.

I know nothing about the Glofish tank but that it's apparently acrylic which is supposedly lighter and safer than glass. It also comes with a blue LED light which could be good to use as a "moon light" during down time before lights out.

Does anyone have any good or bad experience with any, to make suggestions that might help me pick the best future home for my little guy? The store associate said it was hard to tell but he looks like he's a king betta, if that makes a difference (body size and fin-wise)

klogue2

If I remember correctly (I know at least 2/3 are) all of them are acrylic and scratch very easily. Be careful when putting in rocks and ornaments

I like the bookshelf aquarium most because of the longer footprint. The stock filter is adequate enough for the tank. Be careful with the stock light hood because it sits right on the topper and can melt it if left on too long (I believe longer than 10 hours starts to warp it).

I have no experience with the other two but a friend of mine has the bowfront minI 5 gallon, I don't like the stock filter and the dimensions are not my taste.

winglessicarus

If I remember correctly (I know at least 2/3 are) all of them are acrylic and scratch very easily. Be careful when putting in rocks and ornaments

I like the bookshelf aquarium most because of the longer footprint. The stock filter is adequate enough for the tank. Be careful with the stock light hood because it sits right on the topper and can melt it if left on too long (I believe longer than 10 hours starts to warp it).

I have no experience with the other two but a friend of mine has the bowfront minI 5 gallon, I don't like the stock filter and the dimensions are not my taste.

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the bookshelf is the shape, it would give him a feel of more space. I could see about getting a custom top and using my 24" LED if it's really 24 inches long. I just bought a double bright for my plants in the tank using that one now....

I love the filter on the 1 gallon, but I have heard some negative remarks about the 2.5 and 5 gallon. I wish I knew if they are the same filter or not (if they are I would see no problem using both on the one tank) if they weren't and the 5 gallon's was truly faulty I would simply replace it.

I did however promise myself no more bow front aquariums, as it severely dampens my netting method, which is more stress on both myself and the fish. :-\

Edit: Found out the Aqueons do use the same filter. Probably why it seems fine for me at 1 gallon, but people complain it's "not enough" for the bigger tanks. Definitely good to know

winglessicarus

Can anyone vouch for the noise on the Petco 6.6 gallon filter? It's listed as a Tetra Whisper, I've never had one of those before and this tank is going right above my bed so I'm not sure if I should plan to replace it with a quieter filter.

The occupant will be a lone betta so strong filtration is probably not necessary, thus quiet preferred over power.

Edit: Ordered the Petco 6.6, it was only like $3 cheaper online, but since I don't drive it's easier to get delivered to the house. Which means he has to wait even longer for his new home, but at least one's on the way.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
Replies
Views
Anixandria
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies