Aqueon Filter 30-45 Gallon

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by raptorsvt79, Apr 19, 2010.

1. raptorsvt79Well Known MemberMember

i bought the aqueon filter for the 30-45 gallon, for my 40 gallon tank since i was on a budget to buy a filter.....so i wanted to know...how to make the best out of this filter....does anyone have experience with this filter.....it has a carbon cartridge..and not much room in my opinion to collect beneficial bacteria....anything i can do to make it better?

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You can return it for an Aquaclear :)

jk

I would switch to custom media if you want to get the most out of it. The cartridges aren't the best....

3. raptorsvt79Well Known MemberMember

like what kind of custom media?

4. Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

I have a cartridge filter that came with a 10 gallon starter kit. I've customized my media for it so that I can make the most of it since I'm not really a fan of cartridges either. I use Aqua Clear media in my cartridge filters. I stand up the sponge inside the media chamber on the side closest the impeller. Then I stand the carbon up in the chamber next to the sponge. Then I lay my ceramic bio max rings on top. Since cartridge filters push the water from the side it still allows the water going through the filter to pass through the sponge first, then the carbon as the chamber fills, then the bio max rings last. It's a great alternative to the cartridge. Carbon is optional, it can be replaced with ceramic rings or another sponge if preferred. This way I get the customized media I prefer without having to get a new filter. I figure I may as well run the filter for as long as I can since it works. I may eventually just upgrade to the Aqua Clear and keep this for a backup, but for now it's working well.

Oh, and with the Aqueon filters, you would just need to remove that blue, plastic thingy to customize the media. It's not really an integral part of the filter so it won't matter if it's there or not.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice