Aqueon 75 Gallon

Charlie’s Dad

Well Known
Hello folks.....

I purchased a 75 gallon tank and setup yesterday. I am very pleased with the works.
However, the filter concerns me. It came with a hob aqueon 75.

Does anyone have this unit? Reviews critiques?????

I upgraded my 35 bows to a Whisper ex 45-60.

It just looks undersized in comparison to the 75 gallon tank.
1536100072365753142428.jpg

Advertisement
Yeah that won’t cut it at all. The surface first won’t be agintated and it won’t filter the entire tank just part of it and will cause water to stagnate. I would look into getting a good quality canister filter and running both and have the Aqueon as a secondary filter in case something happens with the canister.

Advertisement
Any suggestions on canister filtration?

Thanks for the likes.

I am going to research much before I get it up and cycling first.

Depending on Budget high end Fluval FX 4, mid range Marineland Magniflow 306, low end Sunsun 304/404 filters. The again with prudent searching the Magniflow can be had for the price of the Sunsun.

Advertisement
Congrats on the same tank I have! Using a SunSun 304B on it with zero issues. Have an Eheim Pro 4+ 250 enroute from ebay. Will be using both on my 75gal.

Over filtration is the name of the game!

Best on the market is ehiem pro series. Second best in my opinion is fluval FX series. One I recommend if you don’t want to break the bank on a super amazing filter is the fluval 06 series.
Any suggestions on canister filtration?

Thanks for the likes.

I am going to research much before I get it up and cycling first.

Congrats on the same tank I have! Using a SunSun 304B on it with zero issues. Have an Eheim Pro 4+ 250 enroute from ebay. Will be using both on my 75gal.

Over filtration is the name of the game!

That's the truth, I got a Magnaflow 360 today off eBay brand new for $73. It's a matter of keep looking the deals are out there. I could probably bet a twenty the receipt will have Petsmart on it. They will list items on there, but not put the store name up like Petco does.

That's the truth, I got a Magnaflow 360 today off eBay brand new for $73. It's a matter of keep looking the deals are out there. I could probably bet a twenty the receipt will have Petsmart on it. They will list items on there, but not put the store name up like Petco does.
I had my eye on a Fx4 (max bid was $40 with 3days left), but then the Eheim popped up for less ($46 BIN) so I snagged it.

Can't go wrong with Magnaflow or the Fluval, but if you're patient enough you can snag a really good deal on ebay.

Best on the market is ehiem pro series. Second best in my opinion is fluval FX series. One I recommend if you don’t want to break the bank on a super amazing filter is the fluval 06 series.

I don't have any experience with the Ehiem filters, But the Fx's I have are great and I have no complaints on the Magnaflows. I have actually run Marineland canister filters from about the time the Magnum 350 came out.

Advertisement
I had my eye on a Fx4 (max bid was $40 with 3days left), but then the Eheim popped up for less ($46 BIN) so I snagged it.

Can't go wrong with Magnaflow or the Fluval, but if you're patient enough you can snag a really good deal on ebay.

That's true, I know of 3 lightly used FX 6's around the Orlando area for sale only $350 for all 3. If I had the time I'm tempted to by them, and sell them locally for a small profit.

I have a FX4 and 406 on my 75g. PetSmart usually has the FX4 on sale for $199 so when I saw that, I jumped on it. The price is usually only in-store as I've never seen it online for that price.

Depending on stocking, you could get away with a 406 or equivalent but if you need more filtration and good circulation, the FX4 is perfect for a 75g.

I have a FX4 and 406 on my 75g. PetSmart usually has the FX4 on sale for $199 so when I saw that, I jumped on it. The price is usually only in-store as I've never seen it online for that price.

Depending on stocking, you could get away with a 406 or equivalent but if you need more filtration and good circulation, the FX4 is perfect for a 75g.

How do you like that combo? Using two 406s right now on the 75 gallon, but bought a bowed 46 gallon on the weekend, so moving a 406 over to it and adding a fx4 to the 75 for that same setup.

How do you like that combo? Using two 406s right now on the 75 gallon, but bought a bowed 46 gallon on the weekend, so moving a 406 over to it and adding a fx4 to the 75 for that same setup.
Love it.

I picked up the 75g, 406 and Fluval 2.0 light off craigslist for $200, all brand new. I built a stand and used the 406 to cycle the tank. I didn't think the 406 had enough flow so I was thinking about getting another one to add on or a FX4 to replace it. When I found the FX4 on sale, it made my decision pretty easy. I was running both to cycle the FX4 but I liked both on there and I had about 100 EBA babies (1/2" to 1") that didn't seem to mind the extra flow so I just kept both on there. The FX4 alone is more than enough for a 75 gallon though.

I recently bought a Fluval skimmer attachment for the 406 as I was getting a ton of bio-film on the surface lately and it's perfect for my tank. I also bought a couple of Azoo 250 skimmers and a chinese knock-off skimmer for my other tanks to try out but those are stand alone units with a pump.

Here's a pic when I first installed the FX4 in my tank:

2018-02-12 17.45.29.jpg

And a couple of weeks ago (needs a major trimming):

2018-08-17 21.57.19.jpg

I have an eheim pro 3 350. Have had it for over six years and it still runs perfectly. I do really like that the FX's have the ability to self-clean.

Love it.

I picked up the 75g, 406 and Fluval 2.0 light off craigslist for $200, all brand new. I built a stand and used the 406 to cycle the tank. I didn't think the 406 had enough flow so I was thinking about getting another one to add on or a FX4 to replace it. When I found the FX4 on sale, it made my decision pretty easy. I was running both to cycle the FX4 but I liked both on there and I had about 100 EBA babies (1/2" to 1") that didn't seem to mind the extra flow so I just kept both on there. The FX4 alone is more than enough for a 75 gallon though.

I recently bought a Fluval skimmer attachment for the 406 as I was getting a ton of bio-film on the surface lately and it's perfect for my tank. I also bought a couple of Azoo 250 skimmers and a chinese knock-off skimmer for my other tanks to try out but those are stand alone units with a pump.

Here's a pic when I first installed the FX4 in my tank:
View attachment 475176

And a couple of weeks ago (needs a major trimming):
View attachment 475179

****, that's awesome my tank has had little to no growth for over 6 months... Root tabs here tomorrow and co2 next week, plus aggressive control on water now to rain in what the issue is.

Thx for sharing

, that's awesome my tank has had little to no growth for over 6 months... Root tabs here tomorrow and co2 next week, plus aggressive control on water now to rain in what the issue is.

Thx for sharing

Vince00 what type of lighting are you using?

, that's awesome my tank has had little to no growth for over 6 months... Root tabs here tomorrow and co2 next week, plus aggressive control on water now to rain in what the issue is.

Thx for sharing
I have 2 L128 Plecos and a BN Pleco that rasp on the amazon sword leaves in the back so they're all stunted. I had 2 16-20" swords in my 20 gallon so I swapped them and they're dying down too. The swords I moved to the 20 gallon went from 6-8" to 12"+ in less than 2 months. I was using Flourish tabs but switched to DIY Osmocote Plus tabs a few months back.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Lynxster
Replies
Views
Geoff
Replies
Views