Aqueon 55 Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by e_watson09, Apr 15, 2010.

1. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Well as some of you may know the story I am going to explain it again so that I can get everyone on the same page.

About two months ago I took over a completely nasty rediculously gross tank. My mom had ignored it probably for close to 6 months or more. It's a 50gallon tank and it contained three parrot cichlids and a common pleco, and absolutly no decoration and no heater. (I don't even think she fed it) So I took over and gave it a really good cleaning and I changed out the filters all at once which bad on my part but it threw it into a cycle. I added some random decorations and such that we had around the house to give the fish some hiding places, and bought a heater. Well somehow the heater broke within a week and I finally got a new one recently. After my readings leveled off I added a few more fish and as time has gone on I've added a little more. As of right this second the stock consists of....
    -3 Blood Parrots
    -1 Common Pleco
    -4 Rainbows (different varietys)
    -5 Panda Corys
    -2 Kribs
    Overstocked at the moment but I also thought that I had double the filtration needed for 50 gallons. I ended up having two filters for a max of 30 gallons each. I was really mad to find this out. So my friend gave me two of his aqueon 55 filters for the tank and I was wondering how well these work. Should I add the second one? Right now I currently have one of the 30 gallon filters still on it and then I just added that filter about 20 min ago.

(oh and ps I'm getting a 150 soon so don't worry the parrots and pleco aren't staying in the 50 for long they're also still small)

2. blasto172

blasto172Valued MemberMember

i've been using a aqueon power 10 for my 10 gallon with great results. the plastic grids may not hold as much bacteria as the aquaclear's bio bag but the larger grid is great for using custom filter media. Got tiered of the floss cartriges; so know I'm using marineland cut to fit filter pads (has a coasre blue pad bonded to white floss) with cut to fit carbon pad behind it. I can swap the carbon out without tossing the blue pad and its bacteria. the marineland stuff last along time, I'm on 3 months on my current pad.

The filter is really easy to break down and clean, and doesn't have any tight spots or 90 degree bends that are inpossable to clean. plus its alot cheaper then the AC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice