aqueon 55 filter question

1. ivonko Member Member

hey guys i had a question about my aqueon 55 filter
    it doesnt seem to have any sort of biological filtering.

i was curious as to what i can add to my filter or tank to get biological filtering for the tank

its a 30 gallon aquarium

thanks

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I use only filter sponges in my filters. They house the good bacteria, and don't ever need to replaced until they are falling apart. When that happens, add a new sponge, and then in a few weeks, take the old one out :)

3. ivonko Member Member

excellent, any black filter sponge from my lfs will work then?

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I use AquaClear brand, because they are the cheapest for me, but yeah. Whatever works for you :)

5. ivonko Member Member

awesome thank you

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sure thing :)

7. ploopy Member Member

I have 1 aqueon 55 and cut a slit in the back of the cartridges and take the charcoal out.I keep them in there until they fall apart. Replace them 1 at a time.There is a plastic mesh behind the cartridge that will hold a a little bacteria.I also have a small mesh bag with seachem matrix in it and put it after the blue plastic mesh.I mostly run aquaclears{favorite} and emporer 400 in the rest of my tanks.

8. ivonko Member Member

hmm ill look into this. thank you for the first hand information

9. cameronpalte Member Member

I have an aqueon 55/75 in my 55 gallon. The blue box thing where you put in the filter bag and than put in the filter. I think the blue container thing is where the bacteria live because it specifically says in the instructions that don't throw away the blue canister thing because it holds benificial bacteria. I am not 100% sure of this...

10. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

the bacteria mostly live in the cartridges and as stated above cut them open and take the carbon out and if you really want carbon for your tank add it in its own bag in the filter.

I personally take these filters and use bio rings in them instead of the pads as I like the filter but really dont like the filter pads.

11. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I have a quietflow 10 on my 5 gallon. I just stuffed mine with a filter pad I cut from a big piece of foam. It provides mech and bio filtration. I dont use carbon so the foam works for me.

12. ivonko Member Member

so couple of updates first off i THINK i got a 30 not a 55 aqueon but i cannot for the life of me remember and there is no labeling on the filter itself so i have no clue.

second, i bought a biofilter sponge from petco today, it was pretty thick so i cut it in half and stuffed half behind my charcoal cartridge. hoping that it does the job :) also ordered an additional aqueon 20 filter to be on the safeside.

heres the setup
    IMG_20120410_124103.jpg

heres the filter sponge im using
    IMG_20120410_123550.jpg

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

yup thats a 30, as the 55/75 has two filter pads in it side by side.