Question Aqueon 20 Gallon Tank, Is It Really?

Joyceheatherington

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So we got a 20 gallon aqueon fish tank kit. So my Dad the other day did a 100% water change. The only thing is he emptied the water into three - 5 gallon buckets.

Which makes it only 15 gallons. Did aqueon lie to us, and other buyers?

If not what is 20 gallons referring too?

Ps. I'm not asking how to measure for a 20 gallon tank.

Joyceheatherington

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Measure length x width x height x 7.5 is anything in the tank besides water?
I did the measuring you said before we got that. But still it was 15 gallons of water when we did a water change.

So curious what the gallons is referring too.

You can measure and use the aquarium calculator on here to tell you. You have to subtract some for substrate and ornaments but I wouldn't think that would be close to 5 gallons. I have 5 gallons of substrate in my 75.
https://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm
Yes that was done weeks before we got the kit. Calculator says 20 gallons. But yet came out 15 gallons of water.

I'm gonna email the company and see what they mean by gallons since it's not matching.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did the measuring you said before we got that. But still it was 15 gallons of water when we did a water change.

So curious what the gallons is referring too.
Joyce, you have gravel, decorations etc. in the tank. THEY are taking up space. You also don't fill it up to the very top of the tank. Plus, unless he took ALL the fish out and tipped the tank sideways to drain it, there was still water in the tank. That is why you only got 15 gallons out of a 20 gallon tank.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Was it full to the very top or were you doing a WC cause it was WC day and the level was a bit lower? also is the bottom glass raised up a bit from the black rim. The outside dimensions add up to 20 but if the glass was glued a bit higher it could be taking a little away from the tank. just a way out there thought..

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm gonna email the company and see what they mean by gallons since it's not matching.
It means the volume of the tank is 20 gallons. It does not mean the tank holds 20 gallons. Did you fill the tank until it overflowed a little before the water change? Is there absolutely nothing in the tank except water? If this is the case, you should find about 19.7 gallons of water in the tank. Fish, decor, substrate, filters, tubes and hoses, etc. all decrease the amount of water in the tank. Also, the last 2 gallons is a pain to get out of the tank. You would be surprised sometimes how much water is actually left when you tilt the tank to get all the water into a corner to suck out the last of the water.

Tol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Substrate, decorations, filter, heater, plants, fish, it all takes away from the water volume. The filter also holds some of the water and if it is a canister filter it can likely hold a decent amount.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn’t over analyze this. A 20 gal high measures 24”x12”x16”. That roughly is 20 gallons. I don’t think any company is going to guarantee exact water volume.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a 404 on that link.
Yea it changed it to Google. One of the no no sites apparently. Well any way a 20 gallon tank holds 17.5 gallons of water as per its inside measurements. Then a farther reduction for everything else. So if they actually got 15 gallons out if they did good. I have 2 55 gallon tanks. Ones half an inch longer and wider then the other. Figured that out switching stands.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea it changed it to Google. One of the no no sites apparently. Well any way a 20 gallon tank holds 17.5 gallons of water as per its inside measurements. Then a farther reduction for everything else. So if they actually got 15 gallons out if they did good. I have 2 55 gallon tanks. Ones half an inch longer and wider then the other. Figured that out switching stands.
The joys of "standard" volume tanks

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
At the end of the day weather it holds 15-17.7 or 19.5 gallons the stocking really isn't going to make a major difference.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
not sure if it was mentioned, but the measurements of a tank are the external measurements. the glass thickness affects the internal measurements.

this was mentioned, Water Displacement. Substrates, rocks, decor, heater, filter, fish, plants. they all displace water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom