Aqueon 125 Gallon Fowlr Stocking List

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

I'm planning on setting up a 6 ft 125 gallon FOWLR. Here is my stocking list:

Small Ocellaris Clownfish (already have, just moving)
Small Blue/Green Chromis (already have, just moving)
5 Small Zebra Hermit Crabs (already have, just moving)
4 Small Trochus Snails (already have, just moving)
Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
Bird Wrasse
Yellow Tang
Flame Angelfish
2 Skunk Cleaners
Yellow Watchman Goby
Flame Hawkfish
Feather Duster (optional)
Snowflake Eel (optional, when my clown and chromis get bigger)

nikm128

I'd decide between the butterflyfish, tang, and angel. Otherwise you will 100% have 1 or 2 killed by the other, other than that, those skunk cleaners will make a nice snack for the hawkfish.
Those are the only issues I see with that stock

Jesterrace

I definitely wouldn't do a Bird Wrasse as they get big and grumpy. Technically they could fit in a 125 but it will likely become a bully. It also isn't reef compatible and will likely eat your inverts. If you want wrasses, stick with the Reef Safe varieties (ie Fairy and Flasher). I would recommend Halichoeres Wrasses but they do pick off inverts over time (ie snails, hermits and smaller shrimp). Here are some suggestions for Wrasses that will be a better fit for your tank:

I would skip the eel in that tank, just not a good fit with shrimp, inverts Gobies, etc.

I'd decide between the butterflyfish, tang, and angel. Otherwise you will 100% have 1 or 2 killed by the other, other than that, those skunk cleaners will make a nice snack for the hawkfish.
Those are the only issues I see with that stock

I think the Butterflyfish and the Dwarf Angel could co-exist due to the fact that the Butterflyfish gets much larger than the Flame Angel and the fact that this is a 6 foot long tank, which gives plenty of room for the Flame Angel's attitude. My Yellow Tang and my Coral Beauty sure couldn't coexist for long. I agree that the Yellow Tang is one of the more aggressive Tangs. A Mimic Lemon Peel Tang would be a better alternative as there are quite a few more people who report good luck with them co-existing:

Incidentally is this at your house or another "school" tank? A 125 FOWLR will likely be well into $900-$1000 range, even with a used setup.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

My house. This time downstairs!

How would a Hawaiian Squirrelfish do?

Jesterrace

It's an invert muncher. A Foxface would be a better choice:

Actually come to think of it I would pick either the One Spot or Regular Foxface over the Yellow Tang.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Maybe the Foxface then! Haven't seen them in HI yet, but I'll check. Maybe the LFS can ship them .

Also, what about the bristletooth tangs or kole tangs?

Jesterrace

Small bristletooth tangs would do fine in a 125 and the Kole is one of that group. Any of these would be a decent choice for a 125:

Technically a 125 does open up a few other options. Most of them I don't recommend due to the fact that they are much more prone to ich, being aggressive or just flat out not lasting in captivity.

That said, if I had a 125 I would also look into the Mimic Tangs as they tend to be better behaved (all Tangs can still be aggressive though) and offer some cool color schemes:

They are referred to as mimic tangs because as juveniles they mimic dwarf angels (known for their small size but BIG ATTITUDES). Here are their dwarf angel counterparts so you can see the comparison. The big reason why they are so popular in 125 or larger aquariums is that you get the look of their dwarf angel counterparts but in a bigger fish and they are reef safe.

Just be aware that the Yellow nose butterflyfish and Tangs might have some issues due to being a somewhat similar shape.

From your original list I might go with something like this for a 125 FOWLR:

Clownfish
Chromis
Clown Goby
Longnose Yellow Butterflyfish
One Spot Foxface
Kole Tang
Mimic Tang of choice

Keep in mind that the Foxface gets 8-9 inches when grown, the longnose Yellow gets 9 inches in length, the Kole gets 7.5 inches and the Mimic Tangs range from 8-10 inches, so even though the number of total fish might seem light, you will have a number of fish that get big and will need space.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

I'm downgrading my idea to 60 gallons because I found a good deal on craigslist.

I'm still going to move the Clownfish and the Chromis to the tank, but all inverts and corals are staying in my 10 gallon.

Here's my new list:

Kole Tang (or a one-spot foxface, if I could find one)
Lemon Butterflyfish
Christmas Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny

Also, at Coral FIsh HI, they actually told me that yellow longnose butterflies can go in 55 gallons. On liveaquaria it says 120 gallons, and on saltwater fish it says 70 gallons. What tank size it good for these guys?

nikm128

What are the dimensions of this 60gal?
Go with the 120gal minimum from liveaquaria

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

4 feet long
18 inches high
15 inches on the sides

Jesterrace

I'm downgrading my idea to 60 gallons because I found a good deal on craigslist.

I'm still going to move the Clownfish and the Chromis to the tank, but all inverts and corals are staying in my 10 gallon.

Here's my new list:

Kole Tang (or a one-spot foxface, if I could find one)
Lemon Butterflyfish
Christmas Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny

Also, at Coral FIsh HI, they actually told me that yellow longnose butterflies can go in 55 gallons. On liveaquaria it says 120 gallons, and on saltwater fish it says 70 gallons. What tank size it good for these guys?

No way on earth a Longnose Yellow could work in a 55-60 gallon. They get 9 inches long about 5-6 inches tall and are super active. I say standard 125 gallons minimum (which is actually what LA recommends) 6 feet long, 18 inches wide, 21 inches high. My LFS had one that was about half grown in a 20-30 gallon holding tank and that sucker was super cramped and visibly stressed. Thankfully it was only for a few days before it went to it's newer and much larger home. The Tang also will probably not work in that tank as they need at least 18 inches of width as they grow and get between 7-8 inches in length. I say standard 75 gallon minimum for the smallest bristletooth tangs. Lemon Butterflyfish will probably be okay since they only get 5-6 inches long and although they are pretty active, they have a generally peaceful temperament. Foxface is also definitely out, they need more height and width for a 4 foot long tank. A Dwarf Angel would be what I would recommend for that size tank. Coral Beauty is fairly cost effective and generally gets along well with tank mates in a 4 foot long tank. They max out between 4-5 inches and with no corals it won't be an issue.

Here is mine, it's one of my favorites:

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

There's some new tanks. There's a 90 gallon tank (no sump) and an 80 gallon tank (sump). I'm making a stocking list for this.

Kole Tang or One-Spot Foxface
Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (I have some other ideas too: Raccoon, Auriga, Lemon, Klein's, Heniochus, Pyramid)
Christmas Wrasse
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Lawnmower Blenny

Jesterrace

80 with a sump beats the sumpless 90 for total cost and hassle factor. The list will work but only the Lemon or Klein's will work from the list of butterflyfish. The others get way too big and are super active as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHAMELEON_BREEZE
Replies
Views
sipec
Replies
Views
kangadrew
Replies
Views