Aqueon 10 Power Filter

TankTech

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have an Aqueon 10 filter. According to Aqueon, the filter has a patented biological grid which captures the beneficial bacteria on it. The floss fiber and carbon filter material is bundled as one package. I am supposed to change it out once a month. I am not supposed to clean the filters biological grid as it houses the beneficial bacteria. This seems like a simple to use filter, but from what I am reading on here, most everyone does not change out their charcoal and filter floss all at once. Has anyone had experience with the Aqueon method of filtration, and how good/bad has it been for the fish?

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I was using an Aqueon I didn't put much stock in their "biological grid" it has the surface area of a couple pieces of bio max at best imo. I would operate under the assumption the majority of your bb are on the cartridge itself. I would just clean the used cartridge in used tank water until it was falling apart. You can cut it open to remove the carbon if you want, but it doesn't really make a difference.

I ended up just cutting all the filter material away from the cartridge frame and using cut to fit poly pad secured with rubber bands to the frame as opposed to using a new cartridge. Before doing so the new piece of cut to fit media should be slipped in behind the existing cartridge for a month or so to seed it prior to removal of the old media.

You could also add a pre-filter sponge to the inlet to house more bb.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
<sarcastic mode>Given that our economy is still not in good shape, you could buy filter cartridges once a month. This would support the filter manufacturers, and also since changing a cartridge may result in your loosing your cycle, and this may result in your loosing your fish, but that would just stimulate the economy further by causing you to buy more fish, right?</sarcasm mode>

However, if you would rather not keep stimulating the economy further by buying replacement filter cartridges, and potentially replacement fish, you can just swish the used cartridge in tank water every time you do a water change, and replace filter cartridge only when it is falling apart.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have an Aqeon filter also, and like Matt B, I put no faith in the plastic grid housing bacteria. So I cut a slit in the cartridge and dumped out the carbon since it is only good for 3 or 4 weeks, and just swish the cartridge in dirty tank water with each weekly water change.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom