AquaticLife Fixture Bulbs

Cate

Hello all,

I've been researching the two bulbs in my new AquaticLife fixture, and have not come up with any conclusive "yes, keep them" or "no, swap one out", so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I want to keep my setup no brighter than medium light to avoid algae (not an issue now) and having to worry about CO2 (beyond using Excel). All plants have low to medium light requirements. The bulbs in the fixture are:

1 24W 6000K daylight
1 24W 650nm Roseate

My question is with the 650nm fixture. Should I keep it or swap out for a 6500K fixture? Would swapping it out make the light too bright?

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated!

pepetj

If you want to downgrade you could just use one tube (either will keep plants growing, the daylight or the roseate, your choice); if you still have too much light with one tube, consider replacing the High Output (24W) with High Efficiency (or Normal Output, 14W).

Which type of algae are you having problems with? Some (e.g. Black Beard Algae) can be controlled by increasing water column movement (as in placing a small power head or two) without the need to downgrade lighting (dosing excel should also keep algae in check).

Hope this helps

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Cate

If you want to downgrade you could just use one tube (either will keep plants growing, the daylight or the roseate, your choice); if you still have too much light with one tube, consider replacing the High Output (24W) with High Efficiency (or Normal Output, 14W).

Which type of algae are you having problems with? Some (e.g. Black Beard Algae) can be controlled by increasing water column movement (as in placing a small power head or two) without the need to downgrade lighting (dosing excel should also keep algae in check).

Hope this helps

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

I'm not having algae problems at all, and hope to keep it that way! I'm just wondering if the lighting is adequate to maintain the plants, or if I should switch out one of the bulbs...

frampy

I just switched out my colormax bulbs for a second 6700k bulb. I like the look. Hope the plants like it also. I haven't seen and extra algae growth with them.

escapay

Unfortunately with the AquaticLife T5HO fixture, you have to have two bulbs in otherwise the fixture does not work. I've tried this before with mine. You must have both bulbs in.

For original post -- I have the two lights it came with, so the ones you listed. I have it on my 36 gallon bowfront, so a couple inches taller then a standard 29 gallon. I do run DIY CO2. I had algae issues earlier, but I contribute that to the fact my CO2 was not in balance with the amount of fertilizers I was adding.

Either way, I consider this a high light tank with the lighting. See this post. I don't think changing the bulb will have much of an impact for what type of lighting you have.

Cate

For original post -- I have the two lights it came with, so the ones you listed. I have it on my 36 gallon bowfront, so a couple inches taller then a standard 29 gallon. I do run DIY CO2. I had algae issues earlier, but I contribute that to the fact my CO2 was not in balance with the amount of fertilizers I was adding.

Either way, I consider this a high light tank with the lighting. See this post. I don't think changing the bulb will have much of an impact for what type of lighting you have.

Good to hear from someone who also has this same light fixture. Interesting that you say it is a high-light setup. I was thinking more in the medium range. I can report, though, that since I've started using this light (about 2 weeks now) I am finally noticing respectable growth in my plants. That's a first. It looks like my previous lighting was inadequate and now the entire setup is as it should be.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Virt
Replies
Views
bankruptjojo
  • Question
Replies
Views
appcontrol