Aquatic Plants Full Water Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manoj Arora

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have recently added plants in my betta tank. The rocks are now completely greenish(greenish-blackish spots). I know that's a natural environment for my betta and I also know that it won't harm him. I want to know how to perform water changes in the tank. I do a 10% water change daily as I don't have any filter. And every month I do a 100% water change. But now that I have aquatic plants I'm not very sure if I should continue with this 100% change. If a do a 100% change I will also be cleaning all the rocks and that can be harmful for my plants so will it be fine if I don't ever clean the tank completely? Will the spreading algae not harm my betta?
5d9877aca5adaa3745c71851be8e4201.jpg

Thanks in advance...

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You should be more worried about 100% water changes for the betta, rather than the plants. The plants can take the drastic ph and temperature differences, the betta will become stressed from it.

If you use a standard plastic aquarium airline, you can create a siphon and "vacuum" the rocks to pick up waste, so you don't have the wash the rocks.

How big is his tank? Do you have a filter and a heater?

If you get a filter it'll be healthier for him and you can do water changes once a week rather than everyday.

Manoj Arora

Valued Member
Reaction score
The tank is 5 gal. 8 have a heater but no filter that is why I do 10% water changes daily. So how is this 10% daily and 50% monthly?

Herkimur

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They make tiny sponge filters that fit nicely in a 5 gallon tank.
The sponge filter is made by Hikari.
All you need is the sponge ($3-5), a bit of air line from the pet store ($2-3) and the smallest air pump you can find. Cobalt makes some small ones.

Either way, having plants sit in stagnant warm water will only make them rot. Plants need oxygen over night while they 'exhale'.

With the sponge filter getting air pumped through it will not only be awesome for your Bettas health, your plants will also thank you for it !

Hope this helps.

Manoj Arora

Valued Member
Reaction score
They make tiny sponge filters that fit nicely in a 5 gallon tank.
The sponge filter is made by Hikari.
All you need is the sponge ($3-5), a bit of air line from the pet store ($2-3) and the smallest air pump you can find. Cobalt makes some small ones.

Either way, having plants sit in stagnant warm water will only make them rot. Plants need oxygen over night while they 'exhale'.

With the sponge filter getting air pumped through it will not only be awesome for your Bettas health, your plants will also thank you for it !

Hope this helps.
I actually don't get these sponge filters in India. I bought a filter from a pet shop along with a tank but I guess it is a bit too harsh 4 my betta tank. My betta seems to hate that filter as it makes the water current very fast.
I can't understand. Every day I have to take out some rotten leaves out but along with that my every day I find a new sapling as well(which indicates the growth of my plants). Also all of my plants are pearling. They leave these tiny bubbles continuously. Which is a sign that shows that they are breathing. Then why are they rotting?

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually don't get these sponge filters in India. I bought a filter from a pet shop along with a tank but I guess it is a bit too harsh 4 my betta tank. My betta seems to hate that filter as it makes the water current very fast.
I can't understand. Every day I have to take out some rotten leaves out but along with that my every day I find a new sapling as well(which indicates the growth of my plants). Also all of my plants are pearling. They leave these tiny bubbles continuously. Which is a sign that shows that they are breathing. Then why are they rotting?
You can baffle the filter you had before. Is it a Hob (hang on the back) type of filter? Many use water bottles, sponge, or even nylon to baffle them.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree with the above, if you can't get a sponge filter making a baffle for your hob is the way to go. If not I would change at least a gallon per day (20% not ten), and 50% each week.
Can you provide a picture of your whole tank, as well as a close up of the plants that are giving you issues?
Most likely they are not truly pearling, but "false pearling". This happens often with water changes, and if you are doing a 10% change each day it is enough to cause this.
Are you dosing any ferts? What do you have for lighting?

Manoj Arora

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of filter I have
0fd0d5fcd66223c78c42aa743d2064f0.jpg

I'll show a pic of my tank:
dd95a9cce833ecd12fbcaf3935ee615c.jpg

I've just taken out the rotten leaves. So you won't be able to see them. Plants are not pearling at present. They generally start that in the afternoon. I don't know they have some kind of routine... Also about this algae on 5he rocks should this be removed or is it good for my betta and plants?

c3b642ed5019293034ae763d04d4cbe3.jpg

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Bettas are more important but man, I cant imagine doing a 100% in a planted tank haha.

Manoj Arora

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Bettas are more important but man, I cant imagine doing a 100% in a planted tank haha.
I did the 100% change when I didn't have the planted tank... So now i'll stop doing as that is what you all are recommending.

endiglowgurl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah it does. I don't know why that guy in the shop gave it to me.... He said that it would work well...
Id go back and get a spong filter or hob filter. Will save you having to do daily water changes and keep your betta and plants much happier!

Manoj Arora

Valued Member
Reaction score
Id go back and get a spong filter or hob filter. Will save you having to do daily water changes and keep your betta and plants much happier!
Oh I have already tried that. But I've had that filter from over 6 months now. I don't think he will even think about taking it back....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom