Aquatic fly larvae ID?

moremidnight

My hornwort has these tiny brownish cocoons with little wriggly worms in them. I took one out to inspect today and the little guy came out! Anyone know what kind of insect this belongs to? I want to figure out if these critters came in on the hornwort or if there’s something in my house laying these things?

Attachments

• 2C6B9588-8534-4225-9999-64FC0EC92686.png
    2C6B9588-8534-4225-9999-64FC0EC92686.png
    666.1 KB · Views: 27

richiep

Looks like one of the cadisfly family, your fish will eat them

Upvote 0

moremidnight

Looks like one of the cadisfly family, your fish will eat them
Yes! I think you are right. I recall catching a strange looking bug in my house not too long ago that looks very similar to some images I found of Cadisflies online! Ty! I’ll have some happy fish for sure

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Hornwort seems to be a magnet for cadis Flys too. It seems a lot of members that have these critters have hornwort they just bought.

Upvote 0

moremidnight

Hornwort seems to be a magnet for cadis Flys too. It seems a lot of members that have these critters have hornwort they just bought.
The hornwort came in with tons of hitchhikers! Damselfly larvae, mini ramshorns, bladder snails, tiny crustaceans, planaria too. The hornwort is in my snail tank, so I don’t mind the critters being there. They’re so interesting! I just removed the flying insect larvae and put into their own tank to observe.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

The hornwort came in with tons of hitchhikers! Damselfly larvae, mini ramshorns, bladder snails, tiny crustaceans, planaria too. The hornwort is in my snail tank, so I don’t mind the critters being there. They’re so interesting! I just removed the flying insect larvae and put into their own tank to observe.
The tiny crustaceans are probably scuds.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dinolope
Replies
Views
CatG234
  • Question
Replies
Views
Heron