Aquascaping The Fluval Spec 3 - Progress | Page 2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by -Mak-, Apr 8, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Update: Buceplant stuff arrived yesterday, I ordered two bucephalandra and 6 lbs dragonstone, I think they gave me something closer to 8 lbs though :)
    IMG_5007.JPGIMG_5010.JPG

There was a crack in one of the larger pieces, so I was able to pry off another medium sized pieces and small piece from it. The medium pieces that came off is in the top right of the second photo, and it's actually the best looking one IMO. The two smaller rocks turned red in water, so I don't think I'll be using them.

IMG_5008.JPGIMG_5009.JPG

Plants arrived healthy. I like that buceplant sends you more than one rhizome when you order a single plant, so technically you're getting more than one plant. They are being held in the 3 gallon (which now looks like a jungle) and so far no melting.

The ludwigia red from han aquatics has basically completely melted, including the stems, and I was only able to save the very tops of two plants. I'm hoping they'll make a full recovery.

I've been playing around with some ideas for the scape, but I'll get serious tomorrow.

2. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

So I played around with the hardscape a bit, this is the only one I've done so far that I'm satisfied with. Any tips? It looks very blue, but is less blue in person.

IMG_5022 2.JPGIMG_5023 2.JPGIMG_5024 2.JPGIMG_5025 2.JPG

I know we typically use an odd number of rocks, but this layout has only four. The fifth one doesn't seem to go anywhere in this particular layout.

I left a little bit of open substrate behind it all for the bacopa colorata. I want to slope it a lot more but my substrate is literally little smooth round balls of soil, so they don't stay in place very well. Maybe I'll bury some wild collected rock underneath it all to give it height and keep the substrate in place.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. Silister Trench

Silister TrenchWell Known MemberMember

I like it

4. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Thanks! As per some advice over at plantedtank I rearranged it a bit, I like it a lot more now.

IMG_5035.JPG

I started planting, I'll post some pics when I finish, perhaps tomorrow or in the next couple days :)

5. Jocelyn Adelman

Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Love it!!!!!!!!

(Wasn't a huge fan of the last layout, felt something was off but couldn't pinpoint. Love this!)

6. Jocelyn Adelman

Any planting this weekend?

7. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Yup, just a bit of adjusting. Since the Ludwigia melted I plan on getting some more, so when that arrives I'll update. It's taking longer than expected unfortunately.

8. Jocelyn Adelman

Always does. I had ordered some tissue cultures for a few new tanks, unfortunately the petco dollar per gallon sale started a week later then I expected and haven't had time to plant since! Poor cultures are in my fridge now until I get the time. ;)

9. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Breathes
    Well I think I'm finally done planting for the most part, I just have some extra moss that I'm not sure what to do with.

I think it turned out quite nice, but the beginnings of brown algae are already showing despite my overdosing of excel and ferts and nearly daily water changes. Hoping that it won't get any worse and the shrimp will control it once I get them in there. I look forward to watching the tank mature :)

IMG_5052.JPGIMG_5051.JPG

Fingers crossed the ludwigia makes it this time and stays red!

IMG_5053.JPG

The hydrocotyle from the yard isn't dead, which is a relief. The leaves that went in are looking pretty sad and a few are melting, but the plants are putting out healthy looking new growth, so I hope the new leaves adapt to immersed growth. I love the look of hydrocotyle, if this works out I have a free supply of it! :D They are total weeds outside and are growing everywhere.

Edit// I woke up this morning to find a small snail on the glass. Probably came from the new ludwigia. No biggie as long as there aren't anymore and as long as it didn't lay any eggs. Felt sorry for him, but I'm keeping all of my tanks strictly snail free.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  10. Jocelyn Adelman

Oh no!!!! Had the same thing happen in one of mine, found a huge pond snail... looked like he had been there for some time and I didn't see him!!! Argh! Waiting for more now, checking every day!

11. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Tested parameters today, got 40-80 ppm nitrates! I knew I was overdosing ferts, but I didn't know it was by that much! I'll dial it back a bit haha. However the good thing is, it was just more proof to bury the old "N and P cause algae" myth, the only algae I have are a few strands of diatoms and bits of cyano that were brought over on plants from the 3 gallon. The monte carlo with cyano will be completely removed, I don't want to deal with that in a second tank.

12. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Thought about getting more Amanos? I tranferred mine to the fluval spec iii and so far, so good. Been there maybe a little over 2 weeks. Even if it wanted to escape, I don't think it could, being that the feeding gap is in the middle of the lid and away from the edges close to the walls.

13. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Yep, I'm actually about to set out to the LFS actually! And yeah, as soon as I set it up I noticed how all around the lid reached the top of the tank, so the only way for anything to escape is to directly launch itself out of the feeding hole. I might grow them out in there and transfer to the 3 gallon if I can figure out a way to shrimp-proof it.

14. Silister Trench

You really did a fantastic job -Mak-! I'm impressed. It's no easy feat to scape a small tank and I can definitely envision and "end" design to it in my mind's eye.

I'd give it a bit before adding shrimp if you found pest snails - just saying. 200 pond snails in a 20G was a mess that was uncontrollable for me. Breeding pest snails in a tank as small as that could really mess with water perimeters, and in aquascapes the typical fish owners methods of removal are ineffective at best.

I've had to dose cupramine to finally kill them all in one Aquascape in particular of mine, which will kill all shrimp as well.

If you found 1 just assume there's a clutch hidden somewhere that you haven't seen.

15. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Thanks Sil! I'm sure there's still room for improvement but I think it's a big leap from my first scape.

So far I haven't found any more snails, but I'm definitely keeping my eyes open, at least until it's been about a month since I found the first. I've already got an amano in there, but I've read amanos eat snail eggs and sometimes adults (boy do I hope that's true). I will continue to monitor for eggs and snails.

16. Silister Trench

Hopefully no more in the future! But they're really very hard to spot just hatched or clutches of eggs that may have been dislodged into the substrate or just hidden well. I bought a patch of micro swords a few months ago - killed one snail right of the go and then a month later I had more snails than plants... that was a bummer! o_O

After trying the "humane methods" of blah-da-blah and catching them and trapping them and all that cupramine became my best friend. Haha!

17. OP
    OP
    -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

So far so good! I'm holding off until the end of June to get the cherries since I will be busy until then.

Small update: (excuse the ugly mesh in the back, I still don't know where to put all the extra christmas moss)

IMG_5160.JPG

Everything's been growing well. Bits of brown algae here and there, and I need to give the glass a good wipe just to prevent algae taking hold, and I think there's a a small amount of red brush algae on the chili pepper buces (time to whip out the excel) but I'm pleasantly surprised at the way things are going.

I'm still unsure about the hydrocotyle from the yard. It's doing well underwater, but the new leaves have stayed quite small. The runner/stem thing that the leaves come off of is incredibly stiff (like the terrestrial version) and extremely hard to get to stay in place. I might cut everything into individual nodes and replant because it's making me lose my mind and my amano's favorite thing to do is uproot it.

The best part is the ludwigia hybrid red from hanaquatics I think, it hasn't really dulled and the stem closest to the light is purely red. Even the newest leaves are red. It's been 2 weeks since planting and they've grown a huge amount too. Need to trim and replant them along with the bacopa, which is starting to grow above the water.
    The most curious thing is, these stems of ludwigia in this low tech are more red than than the one I popped into my 3 gallon high tech. I think it might be because I've been neglecting the high tech a bit, ferts-wise.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  18. Silister Trench

Man, that's looking very nice!

19. Jocelyn Adelman

Looks amazing! That's some growth since planting time, almost no rebound issues!

20. Prism

PrismWell Known MemberMember

@-Mak- What are you using for the substrate, it's interesting.