Aquascaping Plants/Driftwood?

NatalieRyan

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I'm planning on scaping my 10 gallon in the very near future. I'm just not sure what kinds of plants I should use or what kind of driftwood.

I know I'm going to be adding Japanese Ohko, and I know I'm for definite adding Galaxy Rasboras. For driftwood, I was thinking something spindly like Spiderwood to provide more places for the Rasboras to swim around/into, but I was wondering what you guys think would work best? For plants, I'd like something that carpets well, maybe a hairgrass? And I'm completely lost when it comes to mid/background plants. I also know I'd like to have a slow growing moss of some sort, but again, I'd like your guys' opinion on that.

And in case of lighting questions, I have 15 watt LED and I'd prefer to keep it on all throughout the day (12 hours) if that's possible.

Thank you!

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any wood will work (as long as its generally considered aquarium safe).
Dwarf hairgrass without CO2 is very hard to grow. Any carpet without CO2 is very hard to grow. I would look into buying several pots of Crypt parva and manually planting them into a carpet.
Your lighting will work for all low light plants, and some medium light plants. 10 gallons is fairly small, so stick to nano plants / plants that don't get too big. A few to consider:

Hygrophila corymbosa 'compact'
Sagittaria subulata
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon gayi
Rotala rotunifolia
Ludwigia repens
Any Bacopa
Any Myriophyllum (keep your scissors sharp)
Any cryptocoryne
Any Java fern
Any Moss
Any Bucephalandra

Muskies85

Reaction score
Look into ghost wood. It’s incredible. Try houstonmanzanita.com. They also have all the other types of wood you would want including spider.

OP
NatalieRyan

NatalieRyan

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Chanyi said:
Dwarf hairgrass without CO2 is very hard to grow. Any carpet without CO2 is very hard to grow. I would look into buying several pots of Crypt parva and manually planting them into a carpet.
Your lighting will work for all low light plants, and some medium light plants. 10 gallons is fairly small, so stick to nano plants / plants that don't get too big. A few to consider:

Sagittaria subulata
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon gayi
Rotala rotunifolia
Ludwigia repens
Any Bacopa
Any cryptocoryne
Any Java fern
Any Moss
Any Bucephalandra
Thank you!

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chanyi said:

Sagittaria subulata
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon gayi
Rotala rotunifolia
Ludwigia repens
Any Bacopa
Any cryptocoryne
Any Java fern
Any Moss
Any Bucephalandra
Java ferns although slow growing, get very large.

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike1995 said:
Java ferns although slow growing, get very large.

1 java fern will not outgrow a 10 gallon tank before it's time to remove and thin out.

Java ferns are also not slow growing.

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm now in the process of cycling my third tank, a 10 gallon, my smallest. It will also be my third aquascaped tank, I put the first plants in just an hour ago.

I started with live plants just under a year ago as an experiment and at the time, I put the plants into dirted terra cotta pots. I liked the look of the plants and found that my tank prams were so much better with them and took the next step in the 20 gallon and got eco complete and put the potted plants directly into that. From there I started with plants that get glued to diftwood or rocks and the next thing I knew, I had a little underwater world. I loved it so much, I did the same to the 55 gallon, planting directly into the gravel or gluing on spiderwood, and now am starting a 10 gallon which will be my first dirted tank, another learning curve for me.

The main thing you have to remember is that some plants want to be planted and some want their rhizome glued or tied to a rock or driftwood. There is all kinds of info out there for each plant as to their care. I'm still learning so will never claim to be an expert, I just know what has worked for me.

I do low tech tanks, no c2o and low light, again research.

It's going to be an interesting journey for you and you will have fails, hairgrass was a big fail for me, but dwarf sags did just as well, but you will also have success's, or at least I did. In the end, it was so worth it. I just love the natural look that only live plants and natural elements like driftwood and rocks give.

OP
NatalieRyan

NatalieRyan

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
barbiespoodle said:
I'm now in the process of cycling my third tank, a 10 gallon, my smallest. It will also be my third aquascaped tank, I put the first plants in just an hour ago.

I started with live plants just under a year ago as an experiment and at the time, I put the plants into dirted terra cotta pots. I liked the look of the plants and found that my tank prams were so much better with them and took the next step in the 20 gallon and got eco complete and put the potted plants directly into that. From there I started with plants that get glued to diftwood or rocks and the next thing I knew, I had a little underwater world. I loved it so much, I did the same to the 55 gallon, planting directly into the gravel or gluing on spiderwood, and now am starting a 10 gallon which will be my first dirted tank, another learning curve for me.

The main thing you have to remember is that some plants want to be planted and some want their rhizome glued or tied to a rock or driftwood. There is all kinds of info out there for each plant as to their care. I'm still learning so will never claim to be an expert, I just know what has worked for me.

I do low tech tanks, no c2o and low light, again research.

It's going to be an interesting journey for you and you will have fails, hairgrass was a big fail for me, but dwarf sags did just as well, but you will also have success's, or at least I did. In the end, it was so worth it. I just love the natural look that only live plants and natural elements like driftwood and rocks give.
Thank you! That helped to give me some more confidence in this project!

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chanyi said:
1 java fern will not outgrow a 10 gallon tank before it's time to remove and thin out.

Java ferns are also not slow growing.

Um you just contradicted yourself.

New Threads