Aquascaping Inspiration!

1. LouLou79

LouLou79 Valued Member Member

image.jpeg I've just bought a 190l corner tank and am looking for Aquascaping inspiration.
    I'd love to get ideas or see photos of your own tanks.

I also need to put some sort of background on, possibly inside, as it has previously had a 3D background siliconed on and I can't get the marks off (see pic) so need to cover this. I did hold patterned paper behind the tank but the marks were still visible so I'm thinking the background will definitely need to be inside.

Hit me with any ideas or pics!
    Thankyou

2. a

ajgravedigger13 Valued Member Member

Here's my 55 20170715_105903.jpg

3. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

4. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

Wow those marks suck!

1st razor blade most off.

Maybe some chems like Acetone and a buffing wheel on an electric screw driver. Plus a lot of time.

If that doesn't work maybe silicone like a thin acrylic inside.

5. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I had that tank i sold it for 150 they are nice though. 881a96a4a3f53268ea6ea410661c0db7.jpg 744282e7124264016b28075c379f6bd3.jpg 78663f6c33e41540531ce7d31c5db1e1.jpg 36f13b2627ef2e1355abd049ab1eba5c.jpg i drilled the plastic on the corners to put my all pond solutions filter inlet and outlets on the corners. Don't put silver dollars in there its way to small thats why i upgraded, i just use that pic as a example for you, juwel are top quality tanks i have the vision 450 now.

6. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

Yeh they do suck! It was covered up so couldn't see when we bought it. Can't really afford a 3D background unless I risk one from eBay.

7. a

Make one yourself with aquarium safe silicone

8. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

Love the background! Wish I could afford a proper one like that.

I have thought about this. I'm just not sure I'd ever get a great look. And was worried about the risk to the fish.

A relative suggested acetone but was concerned about using too many chemicals in tank.

9. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I painted my new one with acrylic paint it was cheap and looks cool i think. 09434361bde5b28fd50f24dac7ba9dd5.jpg use a razor blade on that silicone and white vinegar and a tea towel, sometimes it just doesn't budge though

10. a

You will trust me buy a bunch of dragon stone rock and make it look like a giant cave or something

11. DIYhack

Yah just clean it really well afterwards.

I dumped a whole bottle of CLR into a tank before had no problems.

If it was me I'd order 1/8 black acrylic from Amazon and cut 2 pieces and silicon them inside. Or try a diy 3D background.

12. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

The silicone is completely off and it has been cleaned but it seems to have stained or turned the glass a milky colour where it was.

13. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sure you can! Just don't think about it, the more you do, the less you'll like it. King of DIY has a tutorial on his channel and it comes out looking really great. And you can customize for whatever your needs are concerning filtration, hardware, etc; and they'll be one of a kind
    Orrrrrr
    Depending on the fish (and being fish conscious if you really are worried), we can get creative and buildup a hardscape background + some nice planting to cover it all up :)

14. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

The silicone is completely off and it has been cleaned but it seems to have stained or turned the glass a milky colour where it was.

Thankyou. I did watch a king of DIY video earlier where he used styro, expanding foam and sand! Is this stuff all ok to put in the tank?

@KinsKicks
    What's a hardscape background please?

15. KinsKicks

It should be fine (I don't think you need the sand? I think that was for his waterfall tutorial); I don't think he would do something like that and use it in his own tanks if it werent safe. If you really wanted an extra layer of protection (mentally and physically), you can always use a clear epoxy (Pond Armor is a great 2-part epoxy made for aquariums) to give it a really tight seal and keep it all in :)

16. DIYhack

Yah I don't think it will come off.

Do a 3D background. It's just styrofoam shaped and covered with cement. Probably $15.

17. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

It was the sand that made the crevasses in the expanding foam I think. Thanks for the epoxy reccomendation, great idea!

18. KinsKicks

Using things like stone, rocks, or even driftwood to create a background; kinda like a SW live rock set up, but instead of salt and LR, you have stones/rocks and FW :p.

19. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

image.jpg

20. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

I noticed in one pic you have stones and in one sand. What do you prefer?