Aquascaping Deficient: Help! - Page 5

Drummindot

Tfreema I'm still learning about plants & their needs myself. Rocks, driftwood, tubing, & wires I'm pretty adept at but the plants I've not done yet. Though I'm learning all I can as when I finish my build I'll be planting that tank. With 260g to plant I've got a lot to learn!

As for the wood if it were me I'd do one hardscape (all rocks) and one driftwood. But, that's just me. Rocks mixed with driftwood also looks great. Just remember not to stick things directly in the center. Asymmetry us your friend when aquascaping. The eye will be drawn to the largest, most dramatic piece first.

So, on the bowfront I'd turn the driftwood so the part that sticks up is slightly to the left of the center in front of the intake for your HOB. It'll help hide the intake and again won't divide the tank in half visually. Id leave the big rock where it is and fill in between the driftwood and the rocks on the rights with your choice of plants.

When it comes to plants don't be afraid to put a tall plant in the front. Carefully placed, a tall plant in the front can create some mystery and draw the observer in instead of actually hiding anything.

You're doing great! Don't be afraid to make mistakes... We all do!

Grimund

Drummindot - it's a lot to learn. I've just done that and still learning as I go, no amount of research will nix that, but does soften the blow by a lot. Injecting CO2?

tfreema

Ok, here I am so far. Not sure what else I will do with the 45g plant wise. Probably some anubias and/or java moss on the wood. I moved the Brazilian sword over and forward a bit so I could keep the rock and air curtain in the right 1/3. It will hide the canister filter intake tube some.

The middle is the negative space using the U shaped method. Amazon swords in back right corner and most the s. repens in front of the wood.
(I put up scotch tape in tic tac toe pattern to guide me, lol,)

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473644061.154862.jpg

For the 26g I shifted the log a bit, but I cannot adhere to the rule of thirds with the size of it. It is definitely the focal point though.
I moved all the argentine Sword behind the rock (hard to see, but they will grow tall) and the purple waffle in front of it. Just a few small s. repens in front of the log. The water Sprite is not looking too good so I left it in the pot behind the log for now and the fake plant floating that will go away at some point. The black background did wonders.
The banana plants are as cute as can be.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473644442.832185.jpg

This has been fun even though I have stressed way too much, lol. I really really appreciate everyone's help!! You have all been awesome to help me so much!

bizaliz3

I wasn't any help like the others...busy week....but I really love how they turned out!!!

I got my first banana plant recently. I'm in love with them

Grimund

The rule of thirds applies to the bulk of the vertical mass when going left to right. It's just how the eye works. The lengthy bit will draw the eye across the bottom to other features, so it can tie them together without distracting too.

On mobile so forgive the sloppy mess, but if you shift the wood over just two inches, it would give a better effect. To me it's crowding the corner more than being a feature. Your "U" approach is missing the bottom of the "U" there, lol

tfreema

I wasn't any help like the others...busy week....but I really love how they turned out!!!

I got my first banana plant recently. I'm in love with them

You have helped me tremendously along the way with where to get some great lights and letting me tag along and steal ideas from your 75 gallon scaping project, lol!

I love the banana plants too! They are super cute and can be easily moved.
BTW, I was amazed at how much root growth the plants I moved already had too.

tfreema

The rule of thirds applies to the bulk of the vertical mass when going left to right. It's just how the eye works. The lengthy bit will draw the eye across the bottom to other features, so it can tie them together without distracting too.

On mobile so forgive the sloppy mess, but if you shift the wood over just two inches, it would give a better effect. To me it's crowding the corner more than being a feature. Your "U" approach is missing the bottom of the "U" there, lol

Hmmm, I agree. I moved it to the right trying to adhere to the rule and it really felt better pulled away from the right wall some. Maybe I am not as bad at this as I thought, lol. I will shift it a bit tonight. Thanks!

tfreema

Wisteria, yay or nay?

Petland has some nice looking bunches, but I have read posts that people are not happy with how it grows out of control.
To float in 26g. The reason I want floaters is that Bolivian Rams prefer more filtered light.

Lchi87

I have water sprite which is similar and YES it does grow like crazy when it's happy. I don't mind it though because I just donate my excess. Grows especially well floating IMO since its closer to the light source.

Grimund

It grows like mad, but it's easily cut in half and put back. Growing like crazy is harder to manage in deep tanks when it gets planted or starts choking nearby plants

tfreema

Thanks! I think I will go by at lunch time and pick up a bunch tomorrow. It just seems much fuller than the water sprite.

Grimund

Thanks! I think I will go by at lunch time and pick up a bunch tomorrow. It just seems much fuller than the water sprite.
It gets a pretty filigree leaf when close to the light, but does a good job filtering light. I'd pick up some 2lb test fishing line so you can keep the bunch tied after each trim

tfreema

It gets a pretty filigree leaf when close to the light, but does a good job filtering light. I'd pick up some 2lb test fishing line so you can keep the bunch tied after each trim

Awesome! I am sure we have some fishing line so I will use that with the suction cup to keep them in place.

tfreema

I am posting before and after the slight movement tonight so I can compare side by side. It's hard swiping back and forth on my phone, lol.
I exposed the ugly filter pipe again and not sure why the water is so cloudy......

After

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473729484.582393.jpg

Before

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473729506.641108.jpg

tfreema

My cories like the plants.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473733809.735486.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473733844.603143.jpg

tfreema

Alright Fishlore friends, can I get your help and input again?
You have all put up with my neediness and helped so much with the scape of my 26 bow front and 45 high.
Since those are pretty much lined out except some plant additions and growth, I am moving on to the next two.
I have ordered the same 10,000k led lights for them and have the items in pictures below.
I also have fine black diamond black sand ordered that should be in Tuesday. I got the fine grade since both of these tanks have kuhlis. I will mix the black and natural sand in 30 gallon and have mostly black in 20L.

Both need to have hiding spots for KuhlI loaches.
30g picture. Kuhlis hang out in the little log on the right mostly. Koi angel, kuhlis, and otos.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473979295.858127.jpg

The 20 long will have 2 electric blue Rams, rummy nose, kuhlis. Maybe add nerite snails if compatible with Rams.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473979715.885579.jpg

Available hardscape items. Remember, black sand will be added.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473979863.644286.jpg
(My African cichlid babies )

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473979876.866611.jpg
Different turn of the little spider wood

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473979919.133196.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1473979942.412496.jpg

All ideas, advice, recommendations welcome! Thank you in advance!

Edit: I have Amazon swords, anacharis, red ludwigia, hornwort, moneywort, crypts, s. Repens, anubias, moss balls and Java moss ordered too. Some are for the first two tanks, but there will be lots to spread out. I got a starter pack and then added some others, lol.

bizaliz3

You have lots of great options there with your hardscape items and your plants. I love the spider wood and cholla wood. I am having a hard time making suggestions based on where things stand. I don't have a great imagination......I need more of a visual starting point! lol

Once you start putting the décor in, I will have a better ability to help you arrange it.

I will say one thing that I did recently....I had a few small pieces of anubais from my larger two plants. It was just a couple single leaves. I was going to just throw them away, but I decided to shove their stems into the holes of the cholla wood and they have really established themselves on that cholla wood! I like it a lot. I can move it around all I want, the cholla wood just keeps it weighed down so it doesn't float. Maybe you can do that with a couple of your cholla wood pieces. However...the leaves are getting pretty large on mine and they have grown a few new leaves as well....so possibly the plant will eventually get too "heavy" and the cholla wood will no longer weigh it down? I don't know. Just throwing it out there since you have all that cholla wood! Its nice because the plant becomes very "mobile" and can be moved around anytime you feel like it.

tfreema

I will definitely post as I go. The lights, plants, and sand won't be in until sometime next week.
I am running into a bit of a hurdle with my 30 gallon because my koi angel has these white growths that appear to be lymphocystis. I have started a thread on it in fish disease. If that's what it is, there is no cure. If you have time check in on that thread and let me know your thoughts.
The only treatment is low stress levels and pristine water parameters. I have to be careful and introduce the changes slowly with her. I think the live plants will help with both areas so I will do a little each week.

tfreema

Got plants in yesterday. The anubias, java moss, s. Repens, Amazon sword, hornwort, and crypt all look good.
Moneywort, ludwigia, and anacharis, not so much......

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1474410970.621525.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1474411021.429368.jpg

Some anacharis stems are just all brown, others half. The moneywort is shedding terribly and has a lot of brown. ludwigia just looks puny.
What would you plant of these?

Is it better to keep in container with water or float in tank until I decide and get the hardscape set?

tfreema

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1474412162.586003.jpg

Add more pool filter or mix in black sand?

The fine grade black sand did not come in. I have some medium but just had concerns for the kuhlis. I may use it anyway since others have not had problems.

tfreema

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1474503226.227708.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1474503241.767952.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1474503255.408001.jpg

Here is where I am with this one. Not sure what to do with the pile of rocks in the middle. I just threw them in to show what I have to work with.
The s. repens can be separated some more, but I wanted to get the hard scape settled before spreading them out.
Not sure if the anubias should be in the front left corner or on the spider wood or get smaller one for wood. I left it in the pot for now, but will remove it when I make a final decision.

Thoughts? Advice?

bizaliz3

It looks awesome!!!!! I love it just like that!!! Lol!!

Seriously, you put that together really nicely! I'm diggin it!!

tfreema

It looks awesome!!!!! I love it just like that!!! Lol!!

Seriously, you put that together really nicely! I'm diggin it!!

Thank you!
What would you do with the rocks piled up in the front?

tfreema

Ok, so I finally got the 20L rescape started. I am having a hard time getting the flow of the hardscape right. Here are a couple different versions. Can you please give me your opinion on how I can arrange it better?

Spider wood is so knarley, it makes it difficult to position.

I will add a black background and I have more plants on the way- anubias, crypts, banana plant, almond leaves to scatter.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1475546762.318078.jpg
Removed the big round rock. It just didn't fit right. :-/

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1475546811.374390.jpg

On a side note, the light and black sand really electrified the color of my male electric blue ram.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1475546879.442329.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1475546898.152116.jpg

The black sand has these little orange pebbles too that is frustrating.......

tfreema

Any opinions on how I can arrange the hardscape before plants come in?

I have 3 different types of anubias (for this and the 45g), crypts, and banana plant ordered as well as some s. repens and java moss to move over.

tfreema

Alright, no one is answering, but I am still going to vent on here even if it's just for me.
I ordered my plants last Saturday, paid extra for expedited shipping and still have not received them. Wherever they are, they have been in a dark box for a week now according to the usps tracking. I am so mad! I will be going out of town for a conference Tuesday through Friday so this is extremely frustrating!
Ok, rant over.

bizaliz3

That stinks!! What is the explanation for the delay?

tfreema

They finally responded that for some reason the package is still in Texas. I was supposed to receive it by the 7th. They promised to make it good for any plants that do not make it.

bizaliz3

Per request

tfreema

Thank you!

tfreema

Well, since the plants didn't come in, I had to do something. Got the black background on. It really does make a difference.
Still not sure what and where I will put the new plants for this tank. I have two others I am also filling out with plants.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1476054032.344491.jpg

tfreema

Plants finally came in and of course I am out of town for a conference. My husband sent me pictures and I am shocked at how good they look after 1 1/2 weeks in a box. Fortunately most are potted so he could just drop them in the tanks for now.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1476321151.219874.jpg

mexicatz

cool tank

tfreema

I just never got comfortable with the big log in the bow front so here is the rescape adding some new plants.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1478829906.122511.jpg

Brazilian (or argentine, I don't remember) sword will fill in the back left corner.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1478829971.159638.jpg

As a reminder, here is the before with the big log.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1478830124.587657.jpg

tfreema

Alright so the Java moss was looking really good in this tank and I noticed today that it has hair algae all over it. The last time I had this issue, I dipped in 1:10 bleach solution that killed the plant.
I have a split schedule 4 on, 4.5 off, 3.5 on, 12 off. I also have phosguard in the filter (it may be time for a refresh).
Any other suggestions? Should I use peroxide?
Here it is before the algae overtook it.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1484100545.698427.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BeanFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Matthias