Aquascaping Deficient: Help! - Page 3

tfreema

The red and green rocks look like glass. Those are pretty cool!

Thanks!
What is really cool is the bigger ones are half regular rock color. I have not decided where to incorporate them yet, but wherever it is I think black sand is a must.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471107044.564827.jpg

Grimund

Time to scape again, lol

tfreema

Time to scape again, lol

I am just getting started! I have a lot of tanks needing to he naturalized. Here is today's project adding a big log to my 120.
I have a lot of loaches and a couple kribs that need caves so I had to fit those in, lol. Not sure if I will add any of the rocks and live plants to this one yet. Also, I will keep the natural sand as this is too much space to switch to black.
Letting this setup simmer, plus it's time to go to dinner with my husband. He just doesn't understand that I need to play around with these tanks all evening, lol.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471120810.898038.jpg

Grimund

I know that feeling. No one around me understands I'll just have to prove it's an art that just takes a while!

tfreema

Before and after pics:
26g

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471196561.099959.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471196582.925281.jpg

120g

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471196820.541478.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471196850.473273.jpg

tfreema

Ok folks. Y'all were so helpful with my last project so I would really appreciate your opinion on this one. I took out all the fake stuff, added black sand, spider wood, and a couple rocks.
Do you think this is positioned ok so far. I am trying to use the law of thirds, but not sure I am getting it......

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471208863.448678.jpg
( the rock on the spider wood is holding it down)

Added my pretty red and grey rocks to give more cover for cories and a couple decent looking fake plants until I decide what plants to add.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471210783.228710.jpg

Fgrefee

Ok folks. Y'all were so helpful with my last project so I would really appreciate your opinion on this one. I took out all the fake stuff, added black sand, spider wood, and a couple rocks.
Do you think this is positioned ok so far. I am trying to use the law of thirds, but not sure I am getting it......

Added my pretty red and grey rocks to give more cover for cories and a couple decent looking fake plants until I decide what plants to add.

I think you're actually sort of breaking the law of thirds here, as each item is centered in its respective third and they don't seem to be staggered front to back. I personally would move the wood to the line between the middle third and right third and put it toward the back, then position the red rocks slightly to the right and in front of it. The other rocks just move a few inches front to back/left to right and see what looks good. Alternatively put them towards the back corner and that will leave you more room to decorate with some more of those awesome rocks you found

tfreema

I think you're actually sort of breaking the law of thirds here, as each item is centered in its respective third and they don't seem to be staggered front to back. I personally would move the wood to the line between the middle third and right third and put it toward the back, then position the red rocks slightly to the right and in front of it. The other rocks just move a few inches front to back/left to right and see what looks good. Alternatively put them towards the back corner and that will leave you more room to decorate with some more of those awesome rocks you found

The wood is actually as far back as it can go. It takes up the entire space front to back so there is no moving it back......

Should I just move the red rocks closer to it and the front and shift the big rocks back and left like you suggested?

Fgrefee

The wood is actually as far back as it can go. It takes up the entire space front to back so there is no moving it back......

Should I just move the red rocks closer to it and the front and shift the big rocks back and left like you suggested?
Yeah that sounds good! I didn't realize how big the wood was!

bizaliz3

The big log ornament looks great in there! Such a good find! I'm loving mine in my 75!

tfreema

The big log ornament looks great in there! Such a good find! I'm loving mine in my 75!

I know! Thanks for the tip!

I will add some live plants at some point. I have too many things going on at once, but you know all to well how that goes, lol

bizaliz3

I know you were probably going for height, but I would personally turn the spider wood the long way rather than tall like that.

tfreema

Yeah that sounds good! I didn't realize how big the wood was!

Do you think the wood is spaced ok side to side? If so then it is just a matter of shifting the rock formations to stagger and offset better.
My ocd wants it all spaced evenly and neatly, lol.

I also have the rock that is currently holding the wood down until it gets water logged enough to not float.....

tfreema

I know you were probably going for height, but I would personally turn the spider wood the long way rather than tall like that.

I was going for height since the tank is so tall. Otherwise there is nothing on the top two thirds.......

bizaliz3

I was going for height since the tank is so tall. Otherwise there is nothing on the top two thirds.......

But you could achieve that with a lot of nice tall plants it would just require patience for them to grow in! LOL

No I think it looks great the way you have it too, I was just picturing it on its side with some tall plants behind it.

tfreema

BTW bizaliz3, smokey is getting along nicely with the others and all the baby Angels are finally in this tank. Now I enjoy them as they grow to see if any pair up. I am really hoping for smokey and goldie, lol. Or smokey and any others would be ok.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471220437.430182.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471220450.992449.jpg

Fgrefee

Do you think the wood is spaced ok side to side? If so then it is just a matter of shifting the rock formations to stagger and offset better.
My ocd wants it all spaced evenly and neatly, lol.

I also have the rock that is currently holding the wood down until it gets water logged enough to not float.....

I would still move it almost all the way to the right of the tank. I also think you should add more rocks for the sake of complimenting the empty spaces. Do you have any that are roughly 1/3 the height of the tank? That would look nice leaning towards the wood since it's tall.

tfreema

But you could achieve that with a lot of nice tall plants it would just require patience for them to grow in! LOL

No I think it looks great the way you have it too, I was just picturing it on its side with some tall plants behind it.

In the last tank I kept moving the log to different positions and wound up right back where I started so I will likely leave it tall and place some Java fern or some moss on it. I can really nitpick it to death, lol.
Maybe when I get some tall plants growing behind or beside it, I could turn it on its side to change things up a bit at that time. I am not a patient person, lol.

tfreema

I would still move it almost all the way to the right of the tank. I also think you should add more rocks for the sake of complimenting the empty spaces. Do you have any that are roughly 1/3 the height of the tank? That would look nice leaning towards the wood since it's tall.

I will play with that this week. I actually almost moved it to the right, but my husband said no, it looked great where it is. I know I had a hard time with the last one to just wind up in the first position so I second guessed myself, lol.

I don't have any 1/3 the height, but could stack some maybe.

Thanks for all your help! I know you are busy getting ready for college.

Fgrefee

I will play with that this week. I actually almost moved it to the right, but my husband said no, it looked great where it is. I know I had a hard time with the last one to just wind up in the first position so I second guessed myself, lol.

I don't have any 1/3 the height, but could stack some maybe.

Thanks for all your help! I know you are busy getting ready for college.
A rock formation would look awesome if you could stack them up into some kind of shape! I only said to move it to the right because then the tallest part will lean to the sort of "apex" of the tank with the thirds diagram thing. But imo it really is what you think looks best when you stand back and evaluate it yourself. And you're welcome! Reading the forum is a nice distraction from all the prep and stress of trying to literally pack everything I own. Lol

Grimund

What about using rocks to create a platform that the wood sits on? Not the colored rocks. It would generate height and the wood looks like it has a shallow socket. Turn the piece downward with the long end pointing towards the front left of the tank.

Then use the smaller rocks stacked onto a mound of other rocks to feature each individual one in a staggered formation going up, kind of like making a facet for each one facing outward.

Hard to see by describing it, sorry

Grimund

Not to scale. On my phone and felt lazy. Orange is wood, red would be platform rocks.

Blue is the stack that'll go behind the red rocks (represented by green)

Wood being 2/3 high and red rocks being 1/3 high on the cusps of the thirds, rocks being further back. Not sure about the bottom.

tfreema

Not to scale. On my phone and felt lazy. Orange is wood, red would be platform rocks.

Blue is the stack that'll go behind the red rocks (represented by green)

Wood being 2/3 high and red rocks being 1/3 high on the cusps of the thirds, rocks being further back. Not sure about the bottom.

Interesting take on the layout. I will need to play around with that to see how it looks.
Thank you for taking the time to draw it out!

Grimund

Interesting take on the layout. I will need to play around with that to see how it looks.
Thank you for taking the time to draw it out!
Tall tanks need something to bust up the height, in my opinion. The wood just didn't look right standing up like that. I just seen the wood sitting different and the vitrified rocks were too awesome to hide any of them.

tfreema

Tall tanks need something to bust up the height, in my opinion. The wood just didn't look right standing up like that. I just seen the wood sitting different and the vitrified rocks were too awesome to hide any of them.

So, I will need to let the spider wood soak with the rock on it to get water logged before moving it around any more. It just bobs right up to the top, lol. Hopefully it won't take too long and I can move it around this weekend to try your idea.

Grimund

I would just lop the rock on top of the stack, but I'm inpatient sometimes, lol.

tfreema

I would just lop the rock on top of the stack, but I'm inpatient sometimes, lol.

Lol! I may wind up doing that, but have a week of working to distract me. We'll see where it is this weekend as far as water logged.

tfreema

Lchi87 I just came across your 40 gallon build that is awesome!
Would you mind giving your opinion on how I should rearrange this 45g high setup using what you see in the pictures below minus the fake plants?
I have had advice from a couple folks to turn the wood on the side. I plan to rearrange this weekend to bring better inline with the law of thirds. I am really bad at this......

I will be doing live plants so looking for suggestions on that as well.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471486387.647198.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471486411.358864.jpg

Lchi87

@ I just came across your 40 gallon build that is awesome!
Would you mind giving your opinion on how I should rearrange this 45g high setup using what you see in the pictures below minus the fake plants?
I have had advice from a couple folks to turn the wood on the side. I plan to rearrange this weekend to bring better inline with the law of thirds. I am really bad at this......

I will be doing live plants so looking for suggestions on that as well.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471486387.647198.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471486411.358864.jpg

Thanks so much!

I do agree with giving that driftwood a quarter turn to the left so that it sits long ways would look more dynamic.
in terms of plants, what's your setup like? Low light/hight etc?

tfreema

Thanks so much!

I do agree with giving that driftwood a quarter turn to the left so that it sits long ways would look more dynamic.
in terms of plants, what's your setup like? Low light/hight etc?

Thanks! I am not sure what you mean by a quarter turn. Do you mean lay it over so the long piece is pointing to the front left corner?

Definitely low tech on the lighting keeping in mind that this is a tall tank. I need to buy a new more plant friendly bulb, but will still use fluorescent. Excel flourish and root tabs, but not co2.

Lchi87

Thanks! I am not sure what you mean by a quarter turn. Do you mean lay it over so the long piece is pointing to the front left corner?

Definitely low tech on the lighting keeping in mind that this is a tall tank. I need to buy a new more plant friendly bulb, but will still use fluorescent. Excel flourish and root tabs, but not co2.
Like laying it on its side so that it looks more root like. Does that make more sense? For plants, an amazon sword would look great in the background since you have the height. Then you could layer in some crypts midground somewhere and then maybe some smaller anubias for your driftwood. I can draw up a rough diagram of the placement I'm thinking tomorrow if you'd like!

tfreema

Like laying it on its side so that it looks more root like. Does that make more sense? For plants, an amazon sword would look great in the background since you have the height. Then you could layer in some crypts midground somewhere and then maybe some smaller anubias for your driftwood. I can draw up a rough diagram of the placement I'm thinking tomorrow if you'd like!

You are awesome! I am thinking about taking a "mental health day" off work tomorrow so I can work on some tanks, lol.

Lchi87

You are awesome! I am thinking about taking a "mental health day" off work tomorrow so I can work on some tanks, lol.
I actually took a mental health day off tomorrow too LOL

Edit: tfreemahere's a VERY rough sketch but you can see the direction of the driftwood and the general placement of the plant suggestions.

tfreema

I actually took a mental health day off tomorrow too LOL

Edit: tfreemahere's a VERY rough sketch but you can see the direction of the driftwood and the general placement of the plant suggestions.

Oh my, how awesome are you to take the time to draw this out! I cannot wait to try it!

I am going to look for some plants while out on errands tomorrow. I think Amazon swords and anubias are a definite. Hopefully I can find what I am looking for and not have to wait for an online order.

I will upload pics as soon as I get it arranged, before planting for feedback on the hardscape.

Thank you!!!

Lchi87

Oh my, how awesome are you to take the time to draw this out! I cannot wait to try it!

I am going to look for some plants while out on errands tomorrow. I think Amazon swords and anubias are a definite. Hopefully I can find what I am looking for and not have to wait for an online order.

I will upload pics as soon as I get it arranged, before planting for feedback on the hardscape.

Thank you!!!
You're welcome. As always, happy to help!

tfreema

I picked up some argentine swords yesterday. They will get pretty tall so I thought behind the rock is s good place, but they are still so small, I put some in front for now.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471569058.177812.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471569080.170556.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471569093.127125.jpg

Lchi87

I picked up some argentine swords yesterday. They will get pretty tall so I thought behind the rock is s good place, but they are still so small, I put some in front for now.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471569058.177812.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471569080.170556.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471569093.127125.jpg

I love argentine swords! They will fill in for sure. Do you have root tabs? If so, use them! They really appreciate them.

tfreema

I love argentine swords! They will fill in for sure. Do you have root tabs? If so, use them! They really appreciate them.

Yes! I put one behind the rock and one in the front of the plants in front too. Already had some in for purple waffle and a ludwigia that did not make it.

I am just curious, how do I get that same nutrition to the plants in the log? I am adding excel flourish I am adding daily.

Lchi87

Yes! I put one behind the rock and one in the front of the plants in front too. Already had some in for purple waffle and a ludwigia that did not make it.

I am just curious, how do I get that same nutrition to the plants in the log? I am adding excel flourish I am adding daily.

So regular Flourish is fertilizer and then you have Flourish Excel which is liquid CO2. You'd want to use regular Flourish. The Excel will certainly help too but Flourish is where the nutrients are.

Grimund

It would depend on water circulation, but I'd look into micro ferts, like flourish comprehensive. I add potassium to my tank as well, it's not included in most water sources.

I would keep an eye on your plants for deficiencies and go from there.

tfreema

Ok, so I will be looking for flourish compressive tomorrow too.
Thanks!

Fgrefee

Ok, so I will be looking for flourish compressive tomorrow too.
Thanks!
Teensy tip. The flourish comprehensive is usually just called "Flourish" the sort of "fine print" has the bit about it being a comprehensive supplement. Confused the out of me when I was looking to buy it.

Grimund

Yep. Comprehensive says about it being comprehensive and has more in it than trace

tfreema

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that I found a couple fish stores in a nearby city about 45 minutes away that are not box stores. Here are today's finds.
Look at this awesome anubias driftwood combo that also has some fern. Got a Brazilian sword, and another spider wood piece for a smaller tank. With the sword, I will have to upgrade to led light for 45g. bizaliz3 can you give me the link for that great deal you get in lights?

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471639587.955895.jpg
Had to set up the secondary tank for a quick qt of the yoyo loach that will round out my school to 5, and another angelfish impulse buy. Black lace angel that was much darker than the rest. Looks more like a pinoy to me.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471639893.075124.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471639930.510522.jpg

tfreema

Eeek!! The log/anubias obviously had some snail hitch hikers.
What should I do before adding these to main tank?
I am doing a quick qt with levimasole that is not good for snails so maybe it will kill them.

Grimund

Don't the loaches eat snails? I may have the wrong ones in mind.... bleach dip is an option I see often deployed if there isn't anything in the tank that will eat them, but you'd have to research that. I've been luck to have a pest free selection of goods at my LFS

tfreema

Don't the loaches eat snails? I may have the wrong ones in mind.... bleach dip is an option I see often deployed if there isn't anything in the tank that will eat them, but you'd have to research that. I've been luck to have a pest free selection of goods at my LFS

The 45g will not have loaches. Lots of juvenile Angels though that I think eats snails.

I am just concerned about an infestation. Not overly so though since I could simply get an assassin snail to combat them.

bizaliz3

Here's the link

tfreema

Alright, here it is. Let me know what you all think. I took advice from all of you and have to admit, you were right about laying the log down and I put the base on a rock which Grimund suggested.
I could not find crypts so I need to add those or another very small plant to the front of the rock formation.
I am also ordering new led lights this week.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471731847.186477.jpg
(the rock laying over on it is just to hold it down until it gets water logged)

If these two pair up, I will be ecstatic!

New black lace angel

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471731871.279838.jpg

"Smokey". Smokey blue pearlscale.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471731957.340925.jpg

tfreema

Here's the link

Thank you. I am a little confused about what size to order. The glass opening in my hoods are 23 and 28 inches. Are the inches listed the size of the light or the size of the tank it will fit?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BeanFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Matthias
Replies