Aquascaping Deficient: Help! - Page 2

tfreema

I could not wait for a response, lol. I will likely be rearranging it slightly next week, but here it is. I got a purple waffle and a red ludwiga on an impulse buy at the lfs. I loved the purple colors. I left the fake plant at the top for now, but will replace that with either water Sprite or wisteria to float.

I am also planning to add a background.

I may lean the log forward to make a cave underneath

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470608924.712312.jpg

My Rams colored up instantly!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470609001.518606.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470609018.192459.jpg

tfreema

My only thought, and this is entirely personally preference, would be to take the rock on the left and angle is a bit instead of having it parallel with the front of the tank. So you sort of end up with a misshapen V between the rock and the wood.

I think that is great advice!

I will definitely do that this week and see how it looks. I am currently out of steam, lol.

Grimund

Colorful plants can be quite needy. Your ludwiga will most likely lose the red. Mines doing that right now

tfreema

I dosed with excel flourish and stuck a root tab about two inches from each plant.

Will that be sufficient? I will dose excel daily for this week before backing off to every other day.

I need to win the lottery so I can stay home and play around with fish tanks and puppies all day, lol. Boo for Monday's!

tfreema

Colorful plants can be quite needy. Your ludwiga will most likely lose the red. Mines doing that right now

I had a feeling they were not a great beginner plant as I was buying them. I just could not help myself, lol.

Once I get the log and rock positioned just right, I will figure out the best beginner low light plants.

Grimund

I dunno the other, but ludwiga is fine. They can be demanding to stay red and undemanding to keep. They are a stem plant, so root tabs don't work for them, they get nutrients from the water column, not roots.

There's lots! Most Hygro like temple plant, anubias, Crypts, Java fern and moss, and quite a few others plus each one has different variations so you're not limited to a single look

tfreema

My only thought, and this is entirely personally preference, would be to take the rock on the left and angle is a bit instead of having it parallel with the front of the tank. So you sort of end up with a misshapen V between the rock and the wood.

I could not resist during feeding time to get my hands back in there, lol. I shifted the rock some. Do you think this is enough? I will need to move the plant if I rotate it any further.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470615129.837356.jpg

Grimund

Well that's a first. I've never seen a fork fish before

tfreema

I dunno the other, but ludwiga is fine. They can be demanding to stay red and undemanding to keep. They are a stem plant, so root tabs don't work for them, they get nutrients from the water column, not roots.

There's lots! Most Hygro like temple plant, anubias, Crypts, Java fern and moss, and quite a few others plus each one has different variations so you're not limited to a single look

I know! So many to choose from.

I have to let this hardscape simmer and make sure I got it where I want it, then add more plants. My Rams liked the broad leaf fake plant to hang out under so hopefully I can work one in.

tfreema

Well that's a first. I've never seen a fork fish before

LOL! That's how I keep my bn plecos veggies down. I am too cheap to get cucumber screws, lol.

Fgrefee

Those rocks are seriously awesome looking! I love rock hunting and those are great finds. I can't wait to see how you position them in your tank! (Unless you said the acid did fizzle and I missed it, I just skimmed the thread). Another way to test the safety of the rocks is to fill a container with tap water, test the tap water parameters, put the rocks in and wait a day or two, then test the water in the container again. If anything (pH especially) has drastically changed, I wouldn't put them in the tank. Also, be sure to boil them before you put them in. Put them in a pot of water and then bring it to boiling though, don't drop them in the boiling water as it can cause any air pockets within them to rupture.

tfreema

Those rocks are seriously awesome looking! I love rock hunting and those are great finds. I can't wait to see how you position them in your tank! (Unless you said the acid did fizzle and I missed it, I just skimmed the thread). Another way to test the safety of the rocks is to fill a container with tap water, test the tap water parameters, put the rocks in and wait a day or two, then test the water in the container again. If anything (pH especially) has drastically changed, I wouldn't put them in the tank. Also, be sure to boil them before you put them in. Put them in a pot of water and then bring it to boiling though, don't drop them in the boiling water as it can cause any air pockets within them to rupture.

Thanks for the tips!
I have not had a chance to test them yet. There is one small flat one that I may use for this particular tank if safe. The rest will be for naturalizing my other tanks since I already had the holey one for this one. That log takes up most of the floor space.........

tfreema

Ok so I came home, looked at my tank and did not like the position of the log. Here is both ways. Which one is best? Or do you see another option? The log just fills up the tank a bit more than I envisioned when I bought it.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470704505.056192.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470704551.713061.jpg

I love the black sand though even though my water is a little cloudy and I think the ammonia test has just s tinge of green. I did a 50% water change and dosed with prime.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470704400.755262.jpg

Fgrefee

The second way with the log more horizontal is definitely the better of the two. And I think you're right about seeing some green. Sometimes those colors are tricky. Can I ask what type of plant you have floating in the tank and how it is suspended?

tfreema

The second way with the log more horizontal is definitely the better of the two. And I think you're right about seeing some green. Sometimes those colors are tricky. Can I ask what type of plant you have floating in the tank and how it is suspended?

So, the way I had it before monkeying around with it, lol. Definitely not getting any more plants until after I settle on the hardscape. It is so hard for me. I am not creative at all.

The floating plant is just a cheap plastic plant held by a suction cup to the top right corner. I want to replace it with some water sprite or wisteria to float and filter the light a little for my rams.

I was concerned about a minI cycle with removing so much deco and covering the existing substrate although I did not touch the filter. I used prime yesterday when I changed it all so the fish have been protected. I will be doing daily testing for a few days.

Fgrefee

So, the way I had it before monkeying around with it, lol. Definitely not getting any more plants until after I settle on the hardscape. It is so hard for me. I am not creative at all.

The floating plant is just a cheap plastic plant held by a suction cup to the top right corner. I want to replace it with some water sprite or wisteria to float and filter the light a little for my rams.

I was concerned about a minI cycle with removing so much deco and covering the existing substrate although I did not touch the filter. I used prime yesterday when I changed it all so the fish have been protected. I will be doing daily testing for a few days.

The best way to find an aesthetic you like is to move stuff around. I totally get that. But I think you could easily put some tall, leafy plants in the back. Maybe just one corner and let it get bushy? Some Amazon sword or Java fern perhaps?

I have some wisteria in my tank that isn't doing too hot being stuck in the gravel and I'd like to float it, but I'm not sure how to make it look nice and not just like it's been uprooted on accident.

I'm not the most educated on the acute specifics of cycling, but as far as I know as long as you didnt mess with the filter you should be okay.

tfreema

The best way to find an aesthetic you like is to move stuff around. I totally get that. But I think you could easily put some tall, leafy plants in the back. Maybe just one corner and let it get bushy? Some Amazon sword or Java fern perhaps?

I have some wisteria in my tank that isn't doing too hot being stuck in the gravel and I'd like to float it, but I'm not sure how to make it look nice and not just like it's been uprooted on accident.

I'm not the most educated on the acute specifics of cycling, but as far as I know as long as you didnt mess with the filter you should be okay.

Maybe use a suction cup to hold the root end in a back corner twisted in a way that kinda hides it?

Yeah, I will just have to turn it different ways until I find the right one. It is just an awkward shaped piece.

I am actually considering picking up some spider root instead and use this big piece in a bigger tank, like this one??

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470710521.152890.jpg

Bithimala

How would it look if you had it upright like in the first picture, but facing the other direction?

Fgrefee

Maybe use a suction cup to hold the root end in a back corner twisted in a way that kinda hides it?

Yeah, I will just have to turn it different ways until I find the right one. It is just an awkward shaped piece.

I am actually considering picking up some spider root instead and use this big piece in a bigger tank, like this one??

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470710521.152890.jpg

You want to put the bigger log piece in that aquarium? That could work, I think. I would still put it horizontally and then place most of the tall fake plants you have there in the open space created by the taller end of the log piece. You could also angle it from front corner to back opposite corner. Be careful though with the smaller aquarium, if both your spider root and that smaller decor piece you have on the left side are similar in height things will appear too symmetrical.

tfreema

How would it look if you had it upright like in the first picture, but facing the other direction?

It leans forward that way and just looked odd......

tfreema

You want to put the bigger log piece in that aquarium? That could work, I think. I would still put it horizontally and then place most of the tall fake plants you have there in the open space created by the taller end of the log piece. You could also angle it from front corner to back opposite corner. Be careful though with the smaller aquarium, if both your spider root and that smaller decor piece you have on the left side are similar in height things will appear too symmetrical.

That's probably my problem. My ocd wants symmetry, but it just doesn't work with fish tanks. Dimension perception is needed.

What if I switched the centerpiece in big tank with the log in smaller tank? Or am o just crazy thinking the log is too big in the bow front?

Fgrefee

That's probably my problem. My ocd wants symmetry, but it just doesn't work with fish tanks. Dimension perception is needed.

What if I switched the centerpiece in big tank with the log in smaller tank? Or am o just crazy thinking the log is too big in the bow front?

I still think that would be too symmetrical with the round ish decoration you have in the bigger tank. What if you removed that rock and centered the log more in the bow front? Maybe put it so that the low point is towards the front right corner and the high point is towards the back left? But ultimately move the whole thing towards the left. Have you heard of the rule of thirds? Then you could put shorter plants in the right third/corner and tall plants in the left third/back corner

tfreema

I still think that would be too symmetrical with the round ish decoration you have in the bigger tank. What if you removed that rock and centered the log more in the bow front? Maybe put it so that the low point is towards the front right corner and the high point is towards the back left? But ultimately move the whole thing towards the left. Have you heard of the rule of thirds? Then you could put shorter plants in the right third/corner and tall plants in the left third/back corner

I have just recently heard of the law of thirds following someone else's 75 gallon build. I need to keep the rock and driftwood for my pleco. I will be removing the cories to a different tank with more temp compatible tank mates. They are peppered so I have been keeping the temp on the low end for Rams and Angel. I thought all cories were same temp needs when I bought them......

I could do what you suggest and move the rock to the back right corner.

My poor fish are going to be stressed and tired of me moving things around every day. I will make that move tonight and upload a pic

Fgrefee

I have just recently heard of the law of thirds following someone else's 75 gallon build. I need to keep the rock and driftwood for my pleco. I will be removing the cories to a different tank with more temp compatible tank mates. They are peppered so I have been keeping the temp on the low end for Rams and Angel. I thought all cories were same temp needs when I bought them......

I could do what you suggest and move the rock to the back right corner.

My poor fish are going to be stressed and tired of me moving things around every day. I will make that move tonight and upload a pic
Alright, sounds good to me! Move that taller plant with the rock. Maybe put it behind if you're able to see it over the top of the rock? I think that could work.

Fgrefee

I took your advice about the wisteria. I tied it in a bunch with fishing line and threaded that through a suction cup. So it's "floating" but it's so close to the gravel that it almost looks planted.

tfreema

I took your advice about the wisteria. I tied it in a bunch with fishing line and threaded that through a suction cup. So it's "floating" but it's so close to the gravel that it almost looks planted.

Awesome! So glad I could return the favor and offer you some advice that helps.

Fgrefee

Awesome! So glad I could return the favor and offer you some advice that helps.
I appreciate it! How'd the décor rearranging turn out?

tfreema

I appreciate it! How'd the décor rearranging turn out?

Is this what you meant? I did not move plants, just waiting until I make up my mind on the log.
The lack of depth makes it difficult.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470785810.742559.jpg

Other options:

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470785895.784141.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470785970.005414.jpg

Fgrefee

Is this what you meant? I did not move plants, just waiting until I make up my mind on the log.
The lack of depth makes it difficult.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470785810.742559.jpg

Other options:

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470785895.784141.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470785970.005414.jpg
The first option is nice, as is the third. I don't like the log vertical, I think it makes things too disbalanced.

tfreema

EDIT! I cannot leave it alone. While moving it back to the first position, I found another way to twist it forward to give a little cave behind the plant.... Option 1 or 2?

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470789588.788769.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1470789617.436237.jpg

Fgrefee

Okay here's my final thoughts. I drew them out to better visualize. But how you originally had it is nice too, if you don't like these.

Leave log in bowfront

OR

Put log in bigger tank

And rearrange bowfront

Hope the diagrams make sense.

Edit: orient photo so "Paris" is upside down at the top of paper for correct viewing.

tfreema

Okay here's my final thoughts. I drew them out to better visualize. But how you originally had it is nice too, if you don't like these.

Leave log in bowfront

OR

Put log in bigger tank

And rearrange bowfront

Hope the diagrams make sense.

Edit: orient photo so "Paris" is upside down at the top of paper for correct viewing.

I think I have it pretty close to your first picture with the latest change. The tank is just not as deep as it looks so there is less room from front to back than visualized.

Thanks for the visuals and taking time to draw it out. I think my only decision for the hardscape is to decide between options 1 and 2 above.

This was much easier when I just through some fake plants, caves, and rocks in, lol!

Fgrefee

I think I have it pretty close to your first picture with the latest change. The tank is just not as deep as it looks so there is less room from front to back than visualized.

Thanks for the visuals and taking time to draw it out. I think my only decision for the hardscape is to decide between options 1 and 2 above.

This was much easier when I just through some fake plants, caves, and rocks in, lol!

Yeah I wasn't sure the dimensions of the bowfront. I can see where the lack of depth is an issue. And you're very welcome

It is easier that way but I think the scaping is fun. It's very artsy to me. Lol. Let me know what you decide!

tfreema

Yeah I wasn't sure the dimensions of the bowfront. I can see where the lack of depth is an issue. And you're very welcome

It is easier that way but I think the scaping is fun. It's very artsy to me. Lol. Let me know what you decide!

I think the problem is that it is just a tad too big with an awkward shape for the tank..... Thinking about looking for another smaller piece before deciding on what plants to add. I can always use this one in my bigger tank where there is more room to maneuver.

Leaving it alone until the weekend. The purple waffle looks good, but the lugwiga is losing a lot of leaves and lost its color.

I am loving the black sand and how my rams have colored up with it though. Definitely switching the next scape to black as well. That's the 45g I mentioned.

I guess I need to figure out what the law of thirds really means, lol.

Grimund

I think the problem is that it is just a tad too big with an awkward shape for the tank..... Thinking about looking for another smaller piece before deciding on what plants to add. I can always use this one in my bigger tank where there is more room to maneuver.

Leaving it alone until the weekend. The purple waffle looks good, but the lugwiga is losing a lot of leaves and lost its color.

I am loving the black sand and how my rams have colored up with it though. Definitely switching the next scape to black as well. That's the 45g I mentioned.

I wouldn't worry about the ludwiga. My one Val turned into a stump before it decided it was okay to actually grow. Ludwiga is funny sometimes, but losing leaves shouldn't be too big a concern.

As for the log, I think you may be over thinking it, which I do myself from time to time. Stop looking at the tank for a day or two then come back to it. You may find a certain way is better for you than you initially thought

Fgrefee

One of my drawings was the bigger tank, if you want to use that as ideas. With Ludwiga I've read that it only stays red with an obscene high tech tank with co2 and everything and even then there's no guarantee. But it can grow nice and green and bushy in a low tech tank. It just won't stay red.

The next tank I do will definitely be black sand. But I can't have more than one tank in my dorm room so that will have to wait for a year or so until I can get my own place. My current tank is tan/red gravel. But it's scaped based on IwagumI with rocks using his theory. I just don't have the money to do CO2 and such to carpet right now.

This is the site I used initially.

Basically you want things in thirds new you don't want symmetry and center focus. The key is remembering thirds not only front to back and side to side but also top to bottom. Everything has to be balanced with negative (empty) and positive (decorated) space. But in thirds. So either 1/3 empty and 2/3 decorated or the other way so nothing is split in half. IwagumI is the best I've found at doing this; I spent a long time looking up s of his tanks to get ideas and the rocks I hunted for were actually based on that. Of course some of them are out of this world but they'll help to give you a decent idea of how things should look.

Grimund

Yup. Rule of thirds is a great tool. I'm actually in the midst of scaping out a 10 gal, mostly with plants, as I do have a single piece of driftwood in there (the only non plant thing that will be). Even when planting, the rule of thirds applies because it uses positive space and you need negative space to balance the positive.

Just saying, not trying to add more pressure, but something to keep in mind

Fgrefee

Yup. Rule of thirds is a great tool. I'm actually in the midst of scaping out a 10 gal, mostly with plants, as I do have a single piece of driftwood in there (the only non plant thing that will be). Even when planting, the rule of thirds applies because it uses positive space and you need negative space to balance the positive.

Just saying, not trying to add more pressure, but something to keep in mind
I have a lot of rocks in my 10gal and what I'm struggling with is that there's about 2/3 of negative space top to bottom. The rocks take up the middle third front to back and the right/middle two thirds left to right. I'm not sure if I should just wait for the plants to get bigger or not to fill in the top to bottom or find a way to fill that space with something else.

Grimund

It would depend on the plant to be honest. Tall plants and low plants are one concept, but large and small leaves too. It sounds complicated but really isn't.

I would start a new thread though, Fgrefee. I'll be glad to help, but remember, all rules have exceptions.

tfreema

One of my drawings was the bigger tank, if you want to use that as ideas. With Ludwiga I've read that it only stays red with an obscene high tech tank with co2 and everything and even then there's no guarantee. But it can grow nice and green and bushy in a low tech tank. It just won't stay red.

The next tank I do will definitely be black sand. But I can't have more than one tank in my dorm room so that will have to wait for a year or so until I can get my own place. My current tank is tan/red gravel. But it's scaped based on IwagumI with rocks using his theory. I just don't have the money to do CO2 and such to carpet right now.

This is the site I used initially.

Basically you want things in thirds new you don't want symmetry and center focus. The key is remembering thirds not only front to back and side to side but also top to bottom. Everything has to be balanced with negative (empty) and positive (decorated) space. But in thirds. So either 1/3 empty and 2/3 decorated or the other way so nothing is split in half. IwagumI is the best I've found at doing this; I spent a long time looking up s of his tanks to get ideas and the rocks I hunted for were actually based on that. Of course some of them are out of this world but they'll help to give you a decent idea of how things should look.

Awesome link! Thanks! I am going to read it more thoroughly tomorrow when I am not so tired.
Yeah, I need to give it a rest and let it simmer until the weekend for the sake of my fish and their stress levels.

Fgrefee

Awesome link! Thanks! I am going to read it more thoroughly tomorrow when I am not so tired.
Yeah, I need to give it a rest and let it simmer until the weekend for the sake of my fish and their stress levels.
Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it turns out and good luck!
It would depend on the plant to be honest. Tall plants and low plants are one concept, but large and small leaves too. It sounds complicated but really isn't.

I would start a new thread though, Fgrefee. I'll be glad to help, but remember, all rules have exceptions.
I actually had a thread about my scape that didn't get much traffic. I'll post there again to bump it up.

Grimund

Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it turns out and good luck!

I actually had a thread about my scape that didn't get much traffic. I'll post there again to bump it up.
Link it. I'll be able to read and comment tomorrow though

tfreema

Ok, so I have finally settled on the hardscape and added some Java fern and anubias in some open spots of the log. The ludwigia is not doing well so I will need to get some swords for the spot behind the rock.

Any additional plants needed?

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471053724.142757.jpg

Bithimala

Probably not needed if you're swapping to a sword for the back left. May need to move the rock forward a little to make room for it

Looks great!

Fgrefee

Looking really good!

tfreema

Probably not needed if you're swapping to a sword for the back left. May need to move the rock forward a little to make room for it

Looks great!

There is actually more room behind the rock than it looks. I wanted a little cave effect between the rock and some plants.

Thanks for all the help, tips, and advice from both of you! Now on to the 45g. I think I will start a new thread for it.

Looking really good!

Thank you!

tfreema

Poured muratic acid in small spots at first and had two rocks fizzle. Then I removed those and poured the stuff all over the remaining. Not a bit of fizzle to be seen or heard! YAY!
I also have some red and green rocks someone gave me and those are good too.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471105313.530194.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471105331.971537.jpg

Now on to cleaning tanks and moving fish out of quarantine.

Fgrefee

Poured muratic acid in small spots at first and had two rocks fizzle. Then I removed those and poured the stuff all over the remaining. Not a bit of fizzle to be seen or heard! YAY!
I also have some red and green rocks someone gave me and those are good too.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471105313.530194.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1471105331.971537.jpg

Now on to cleaning tanks and moving fish out of quarantine.
Awesome find!!!!

Aquaphobia

The red and green rocks look like glass. Those are pretty cool!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BeanFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Matthias
Replies