Aquascaping - any ideas!?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could definitely do java moss on a piece of driftwood but I love the look of flame moss more than java moss. A clump looks like a flame on candles once it gets going. Christmas moss also looks very interesting, forming triangular shapes given the right conditions. Subwassertang and Riccia Fluitans are other unique-looking mosses. The Riccia actively gives off bubbles if under bright enough light and CO2. Other plants can be tied to driftwood and rocks like java ferns and different anubias.

In my 5g, I took a flat rock about 1" thick and 4" across and covered it in java moss so it'll evetually be a plateau "field" higher than the floor.

What about some rocks arranged to make cave? Or Terra cotta pots (also double as great bio-media!).

If you want to get fancy you can make a moss wall for the back side of the tank.

-Lisa

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A moss wall? Sounds cool, how would you go about doing that?

xplosion, what type of fish are you housing in the tank?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm on my iPod so digging up links is a bit of a pain, but if you google "moss wall" you'll get step by step instructions. The quick explanation is you get plastic craft mesh that's used for cross-stitching (I think) and you sandwich a bunch of moss in between the mesh and voilà! . I haven't quite figured out what you do with heaters and HOB filters and the moss wall, though, which is why I haven't made one yet.

-Lisa

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Riccia is a surfe floating plant so is of little aquascaping value unless you sandwich it between craft mesh & attach the mesh to the substrate. If you can get a very flexible mesh you can do the same thing over a rock or piece of wood. Moss on decor is always a good look but good luck trying to get anything other than Java Moss herer in Australia. There are a few places you can order one or two different mosses from on the net but be prepared to pay alot for not very much. Suitable pieces of wood always make good focal points as does a red plant against a background of green plants. Rocks with different layers make for exceptional focal points as do tall rock columns.

Here's a link to a how to guide on a moss wall:

Here's a few pics to give you some inspiration:

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom