Aquascaping 10 Gallon Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 10 gallon tank right now with an incadescent hood. I currently am going through the fishless cycle but after it finishes, I plan on adding live plants. My question is what plants would grow well in this low lit tank? I would like to create a carpet of some sort. Thanks

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmm, I think Java moss might make kind of a carpet, but I don't know too much about plants. I'm trying to find something to make a grassy carpet like I saw in this one tank, but no one seems to know what it is

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately not a great deal. Perhaps Java Moss & Java Fern might survive but they are MAYBE. Can you switch to a CFL/Powersaver globe? Incandescent lights are less than ideal for planted aquariums. If you switch the typre of bulb & provide the wattage of the new bulb, I MIGHT be able to recommend some other plants.

trinket

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had the same thing, bought a tank and it came with incandescent lighting.

The watt limit on it said 25, so I looked at CFL bulbs that came closest, I got 2 13 watt bulbs. Go for ones with a higher kelvin rating, I think 6,500 is good.

I have low light plants and they're doing really well, but no carpets here. I have an anubias, java moss (it wasn't doing so well at first but it picked up after about 2 months) and hornwort.

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My light is 25watts (flourescent) in 15 gal, and i have crypts, amazon sword and ludwigia all growing nicely in pots. The web has some great (if sometimes conflicting) info on low light plants, but anubis and java moss & java fern seem to be the most highly recommended for low light.

Anubis on drift wood looks amazing imo, and would be a great smaller plant for a 10 g as it has a rep for being super hardy and not really needing substrate i.e. just tie it to something. Ditto for java moss, which would be a lovely carpet if you could also tie it to something flat and rest it on the bottom of the tank (or even a flatter piece of wood for natural effect).

Good luck!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It depends upon what type of flourescent bulb you have. If it's the 1" diameter kind, a T8, you will need to buy a new fixture. Flourescent bulb wattage is determined by its size, it's not like an incandescent bulb where different size filaments can be in the same size bulb.

-Lisa

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey,

I disagree with regards to the Incandescent lights. I have used these with many small tanks and also on large tanks up to 83g and all the plants have grown just as good as the flourescent bulb.

As for the plants with the right gravel IE fluorite or JBL aquabisis plus then you can grow many more types of plants and not have to worry to much about the lighting IME. The same as with the co2. DIY is just as affective as the expensive canister ones.

Regards to the carpet I have found with the right trimming java moss can do it. Same with ricci i yo can keep it down. The Crypts can to. More if you use a lot of iron ferts.
Also chain sword.

mac

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey,

I disagree with regards to the Incandescent lights. I have used these with many small tanks and also on large tanks up to 83g and all the plants have grown just as good as the flourescent bulb.
I agree (or disagree?) about incandescent lighting. Sure, it's definitely not ideal, but it's not impossible to grow plants under it. I grew several Amazon swords, java moss, apongeton, and elodea under a 15w bulb in a 10g and they not only survived, the swords grew out of the tank!

CFL is better in a lot of ways (fuller spectrum, lower energy usage and heat output), but if you don't want to spend $10 on a new CFL bulb or $20-40 on a fluorescent hood then don't worry about it. You'll be limited in your selection, but it's still possible to grow some amazing looking plants.

And, my wife prefers the look and color of incandescent lighting over fluorescent. She thinks fluorescent looks harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom