Aquascape my tank RAOK contest for a completely free Fried Betta

1. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +36
    In this RAOK I am offering a completely free betta, including shipping to anywhere with the USA.

Not only that, it is your choice of any betta I put up for sale. And I will be listing plenty of different crowntails, halfmoons, and HMPKs in the coming months.

If I get runner up ideas that I find particularly useful, I will find offer some runner up prize. It largely depends on how much participation I get.

The contest is for the aquascape design that I like best for my 20 gallon long betta growout tank. It needs serious help, it is now being used as plant rehab, I've got some poor algae inflicted plants in there. Picture of tank in question.

RPV_0048.jpg

It must involve a novel way to use this manzanita wood that I have. Novel meaning in a way that I haven't already tried. If you want to see what any particular piece looks like in the tank to help with your design, please ask.

RPV_0054.jpg RPV_0055.jpg

This is what I've been doing with it so far (I want something else, I already thought of this :)

Specimen 04 (1).jpg Specimen 05 (1).jpg Specimen 01 (1).jpg Specimen 02 (1).jpg Specimen 03 (1).jpg

I also have rocks like these the you can use, or not, I have more of them then what I show in the picture, but they are all similar.

RPV_0057.jpg

This tank is a standard 20 gallon long, Finnex FugeRay LED light, Eco-Complete, and is dosed with PPS-Pro ferts and Excel (no CO2). Should be considered a low-medium light tank and the plants should be in that category (no high light plants or ones that are known to need CO2 to do well). The plants should be easily obtainable online for a reasonable price (no exotic plants).

The aquascape should be laid out together with hardscape and plants by some method that is clear. Probably using diagram, sketches, or pictures. Reasons you include a particular plant might be nice.

I reserve the right to end this contest if I do not see any serious participation or interest. Contest requires a little effort but I am offering a valuable prize.

2. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Quick question, how many peices of manzanita do you have?

3. OP
    OP
    _Fried_Bettas_

Ratings:
    +36
    I have what is shown in the two pictures, and then twice that amount. I've got a wholesale local source for it, been thinking of reselling it, so I have access to about as much as I need.

4. Witchydesign

Ratings:
    +6
    Nice. Ok

5. lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    you should try doing a few groupings in a pyrimid like structure (2-4) use the rocks to hold them up and plant heavy on the bottom and lighter on the top to give it a more natural look

6. Vongchanh25

Vongchanh25 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Leave an open space in the middle of the tank And have a grouping of drift wood on both sides with the taller plants near there middles. Then surround the groupings and with the rocksand cover them with moss

7. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +2,265
    One question for ya: How crucial is accessibility? Bettas can be notoriously hard to catch, unless they are used to it (and sometimes even then). I know exactly what I'd do with that wood, but the reason I don't have it in my tanks the same way is that I'd ruin the scape every time I tried to net a fish.

8. OP
    OP
    _Fried_Bettas_

Ratings:
    +36
    Young bettas are too curious and generally trusting to cause any great problem catching them in a planted tank. bettas get bored with hiding and come out after a reasonably short time. So if I can't catch a betta right now, usually in an hour they will be back in the open and have forgot they are supposed to be hiding. They are also slow compared to tetras, endlers, and the like.

With that said, any hardscape should be reasonably easy to disassemble and put back, although I might not need to each time I need to catch a single betta, There is the periodic need to catch every betta in the tank to transplant them or something similar.

9. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +588
    I am so in on this one but can't work on it till this weekend.
    Are you keeping the substrate currently in the tank?

10. Witchydesign

Ratings:
    +6
    Any plants you Dont want? I should have mine done tonight or tommorrow.

Eta: I mean like no hornswort, no duckweed, stuff like that. I hate hornswort personally thats why i ask.

11. OP
    OP
    _Fried_Bettas_

Ratings:
    +36
    I am using the same substrate, although I'm open to adding something else to color it up. Most of my tanks are ending up with mixed substrate, usually EcoComplete and something else because straight black is awfully dull and unnatural looking.

I'm at not set against any particular plants, but considering this is a tank dosed with Excel, hornswort and also vals are not good choices as they tend to melt because of Excel.

12. tabshire95

tabshire95 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What if you went with a Aztec sort of theme, the bettas colors would really pop behind a hardscape like that. Use the manzinita wood and make squares out of four pieces and plant them with a low growing moss like Java moss and use the rocks to build up pyramid type structures. Use small spruces of moss to give a look of age throughout the stonework. Build two of those towards the left side, then either use the plants themselves or the plants tied to other pieces of driftwood standing straight up on the right side to look like a tree line. Kind of gives it the amazon feel while still keeping it planted enough for hides and comfort for the betas. And if the rocks fall or something moves its easy to just non nonchalantly stack it back up! I feel like I didnt do much justice describing this but I don't know the names of the plants im imagining being used as the trees.

Forgot to say you use the squares of driftwood and java to put the pyramids in the middle of, gives a look of age as the foliage is growing out around them.

13. Axelrodi202

Axelrodi202 Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    You have a lot of hard scape which is great when you're starting a scape. I would use plastic ties to arrange your driftwood into a larger branchy structure for the left side of the tank, maybe something like this:

[​IMG]

You could then have that surrounded by some smaller rocks, and plant epiphytes like Anubis or java fern on the rocks and the lower parts of the wood. You can also put moss on the wood. Fissidens is a great one, or you could use flame moss to make the wood really pop out.

In the foreground around this structure you could have something like downoi (very easy grower in medium light IME). In the back you could have tall stems like rotala rotundifolia or bacopa carolinia, or whatever you find works best for you.

On the right, you could arrange some larger rocks, and plant some mid ground plants like cryptocoryne, chain sword, dwarf sag, or melon sword. Have some taller plants on the side and back corner like cryptocoryne spiraled to even out the sense of height on both sides.

In the middle you could have a field of staurogyne repens. I think an open middle portion would look good, though you could extend the mid ground and background to the middle if you like the more closed off look

14. OldeOne

OldeOne Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    How do you actually ship a fish? @_@

15. CLam

CLam Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like when you take home fish from the store: in double plastic baggies with water and air. If accessible, one can inject oxygen instead of air. Fish are sometimes sedated for long trips. Dealers use coolers or styrofoam boxes to insulate, keeping temperature comfy.

16. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fried- I have a few ideas for this tank that I'll draw up later but I don't have room to get another betta right now so I don't know if I would necessarily enter it, just give advice. :)

xx

17. jcmguy

jcmguy Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try the rule of thirds. Its great for decorating tanks. Look up "how to decorate a cichlid tank" on google and they will give you a whole thing on aquascaping and hardscaping.

Its good for every tank. Not just cichlids. But thats what it falls under.

Its call fish-etc.com . Check em out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. Fish Love

Fish Love Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You could do a under the sea shipwreck tank with a background like this
    http://www.petsmart.com/fish/backgr...FVDZyC_JNYERZ?var_id=36-17523&_t=pfm=category
    Or this...
    http://www.petsmart.com/fish/backgr...-catid-300068?var_id=36-16650&_t=pfm=category

You could do Greek columns and a cave with a few plants, maybe a little java moss and white sand mixed with the rocks you have. You could also do an abandoned ship decoration, a treasure chest with a bubbler and with the wood, you could lay it in the java/substrate to give it a more wrecked look and lean some up on the decor. I would love to have one of your Bettas! Hope this helps!

Fish Love

19. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Closing thread for now.
    The OP has not returned to it since July.