Aquascape ideas for a 20 gallon tank?

bettafishlover69

i have driftwood and can get live plants and rocks im not creative enough to come up with anything. lol

PlantedCommunityTank132

You could do a ryoboku style aquascape. I set up a ten gallon aquascape a week ago. it looks like this. sorry, I don't know how to turn the pic. what shape is the tank?

Attachments

• tempImageaw2abf.png
    tempImageaw2abf.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

bettafishlover69

it is rectangle prism.

PlantedCommunityTank132

what kind of driftwood do you have?

PurityNWhiteRoses

Depending on 1.) your budget 2.) skill 3.) plants and hardscape options, and 4.) your personal preferences, you can try all sorts of things when it comes to aquascaping. I enjoy doing a lot of rocks and wood, for example, especially on a dark substrate (Black Diamond Blasting Sand) but I recently did a 55g scape with white sand and pea gravel. I love both equally for different reasons. I'm not one to have a huge budget and I let the plants I have grow out and I propagate them, but have just enough so I don't have an algae bloom.

What I've done is I get 1 BIG hunk of driftwood, the stumpier-looking, the better. I center that, and add caves and rocks on the other corners, maybe a small piece of wood here and there. I make sure there is nothing bigger than the centerpiece so not to draw away the focal point, but make sure there are details that draw the viewer in. Such as detail stones, small wood pieces, gravel, small plants.

For plants, depending on what light, Co2, fertilizers, etc, you plan on getting, I'm partial to Java ferns (lace and regular are what I've had so far), bacopa (grows on basically no nutrients like a weed for me) and some sort of grassy looking thing (Amubia grows well for me, too.) Rosette sword and narrow leaf chain sword are new to me and seem to really need some root tabs (I'm getting them in the mail this week). They seem to be slow growing.

I am partial to Amazon Frogbit for floaters since that's all I have, but for sure, NEVER get duckweed. It's a pain, so I'm told.

It basically what you like and what feels right. Tune into what you really want it to look like and you'll have the scape that matches you. :) Best of luck!

bettafishlover69

i dont know what kind of wood it is i got it at my LFS

PurityNWhiteRoses

As long it is a hardwood, you'll be fine. :) Steer clear of soft woods because they'll break down.

bettafishlover69

ok how do i know whether it is hard or soft

PurityNWhiteRoses

Dig into it with your nail, if it leaves a mark and goes in easily, it would be a softer wood. Most LFS know what woods are hardness-wise and will only sell hardwoods.

bettafishlover69

ok got it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
N13
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views