Aquascape clichés I'm tired of

Zachsnanotanks

Reaction score
When I started aquascaping I was drawn to what all the big aquascapers would make and allot of times you'd start to see the same things over and over again. Examples

Neon tetras
Dragon stone
Black substrate
Monte Carlo
Spider wood

And the list could go on I'm sure. I'm not against using these cliché I even use them they look great. To all the aquascapers out there I'd love to see something so out there something nobody has ever done.

Anyways that's my rant on clichés

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Behold, my glorious pile of dirt!
IMG_2729.JPG

clearly very carefully aquascaped, everything in the exact spot I meant for it to grow, uh-huh

Seriously though, there is a reason those are cliche's obviously, they just look really great. But I get what you mean. Everything doing variations on the same theme gets boring.

Edit: oh, and another carefully crafted pile of green and brown:
IMG_2753.JPG

I call it: the dying spider.

CaptainGratin

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My current aquascaped tank has dragon stone, a big centerpiece spider wood, and you guessed it... black substrate! Definitely very common but I’m not yet tired of it.

My brother found a crazy weathered huge piece of cedar that looks windswept, so I’m thinking of setting up my next tank with that as the focal point along with brown fluorite substrate with java moss carpet and some smaller granite stones.... a little change up

Attachments

trinity28

Reaction score
I'm currently setting up three new tanks and working on designing them. I have never used live plants or driftwood before, but I am planning on doing so for these. One has white gravel that I had on hand from a previous tank, one has gravel that is a mix of natural tans, creams, browns, etc., and one has black sand. We'll have to see which one I like best. They're only about 1/3 of the way done but I will probably post photos when finished.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
CaptainGratin said:
My brother found a crazy weathered huge piece of cedar that looks windswept, so I’m thinking of setting up my next tank with that as the focal point along with brown fluorite substrate with java moss carpet and some smaller granite stones.... a little change up
Although an awesome looking piece of wood I am thinking it isn't a good idea to use cedar in a fish tank. You may want to read up on it before you decide to use it.

CaptainGratin

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
mattgirl said:
Although an awesome looking piece of wood I am thinking it isn't a good idea to use cedar in a fish tank. You may want to read up on it before you decide to use it.
from what I can ascertain its a fine idea

Volpap

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CaptainGratin said:
My current aquascaped tank has dragon stone, a big centerpiece spider wood, and you guessed it... black substrate! Definitely very common but I’m not yet tired of it.

You may want to do some research on using cedar in your tank. I was reading an article about gathering driftwood for aquariums and it stated not to use cedar because of the oils and tannins. Can’t remember the details but just a heads up.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I don't even know. Much of it is foraged from local rivers. The driftwood is old elm stump snags that washed up. Going more for a river bottom? Try to accommodate the shy bottom dwellers

I don't know if its cliche, but its sorta a mess.
20191022_043410.jpg

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Volpap said:
You may want to do some research on using cedar in your tank. I was reading an article about gathering driftwood for aquariums and it stated not to use cedar because of the oils and tannins. Can’t remember the details but just a heads up.
Dried, cured cedar is fine. It's the stuff that's fresh (has oils), and hasnt completely dried out that is an issue.

Tannins occurs with all wood peices, part of the package having wood. :)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
CaptainGratin said:
from what I can ascertain its a fine idea
As in so many things in this hobby some say yes others say no so who can get a straight answer :) Personally I wouldn't put even well dried cedar in my fish tanks but we each have to do what we are comfortable with.

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
After a year of constant redesigning/changing/adding to my tank, I’d say I’m pretty happy with it now. It’s simple, functional, and pleasing enough to the eye for my taste. Nothing fancy or intricate but still has the natural feel. Plus super low tech and easy for travel because I’m headed off to college next year.

There isn’t too much I’d change about it now, although that might change when my taste changes. The only thing it has that’s in that list is the dragon stone, but it’s still not very unique lol

Click on the picture to make it clear

23C93A83-029A-4931-8210-FC43EE97FEB7.jpeg

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm going to start a new Cliche term reference Aquascaping "Helter Skelter". These scapes are thrown together with spare mismatched parts with no specific design or plan. Constructed with locally found materials. Here are a few examples of some of my past Helter Skelter scapes.
20191024_085817.jpg
20181107_112950.jpg
20191024_090623.jpg

cantremember

Reaction score
I wouldn't say "tired of", more like just my style, but aquascapes I'm personally not into are scapes thatt are meant to mimic terrestial landscapes, like grass fields with trees. And the ever-recurring themes in fish tank decorations, divers, sunken ships, bhuddist temples and statues.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like to call this the "Oh, I have to get the betta out of the 30 I think I have some plastic from the kids' old fishtank...AKA the clown tank."
Ragnar doesn't care.

I prefer "artistically natural." I am not trying to mimic any biotope, but I think the composition of the tank, whatever your elements are, works better following the same rules for any composition.
qquake2k 's tanks look good even with the PetSmart decor because the composition is still attractive. :)

Attachments

Truckjohn

Reaction score
My wife complains that our tank doesn't have enough color - meaning no Sponge Bob decorations....

In terms of natural looking - "helter skelter" is what you get in real life. A tree lands in the river during a storm on top of a bunch of old bricks somebody dumped there 50-years ago... Some tires, beer cans, and an old flat basket ball wash down river in another storm and snag in it. Then aquatic plants grow all over it.

In a couple years - you have a giant shoal formed downstream of the snag and the upstream end collected more junk in it.... And it's full of fish.

gandalf1420

Reaction score
Literally all my tanks are the same...tall green plants, too many rocks from outdoors, and clay pots if I have them laying around. I'm more into the fish then the scape...drives my parents nuts lol.

New Threads