Aquasafe Question

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by lorelle9, Aug 23, 2019.

1. lorelle9

lorelle9New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    This is probably so simple, that's why I can't find the answer anywhere, but I am genuinely confused. Should Tetra AquaSafe for Bettas be used everytime for partial water changes? It says "monthly" use on the package, but I would think the water should be neutralized every time. As someone who will have to do a 25-40% water change every other day, I don't want to overuse the product.

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,071
    Experience:
    2 years
  3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    This, from the product page, is the only real reason to use it at every water change (except for the slime... A healthy fish should have a healthy slime coat, I don't see the reason to add more to the water). It apparently has vitamins and minerals in it for bettas and "Proprietary, advanced biopolymers produced by living organisms such as kelp are included in BettaSafe to support beneficial bacteria." All that is just extra stuff. A properly cycled aquarium and proper maintenance shouldn't necessitate adding BB. If the tank is new or not cycled, then yeah, that's helpful.

Why is that?

4. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,451
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    From the way I read op post she uses the word neutralise so is she using it to clear water of chlorine

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,071
    Experience:
    2 years
    Also if she is doing WC’s every other day she may not be cycled yet and trying to keep the parameters safe for her betta?

6. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That's what I was thinking as well, but didn't want to assume. Could be other reasons... people read things or are told things and don't always know why they follow the advice. :emoji_shrug:

7. OP
    OP
    lorelle9

lorelle9New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeahh I was one of those ignorant betta buyers who didn't know a thing about cycling the tank before buying the fish. So my tank is exactly 7 days old and I've been scrambling to do everything to keep my fish okay. Testing the waters about twice a day and all that. He's in a 10 gallon and all my levels are safe atm but the ammonia spiked up to .25 yesterday before I put the anti ammonia tablets in. Sooo I'm praying other things don't go wrong too in my attempt to keep the safe environment.